How do you prefer to read novels? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:02:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  How do you prefer to read novels? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How do you prefer to read novels?
Hardback

Trade paperback

Mass market paperback

E-reader

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: How do you prefer to read novels?  (Read 2669 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: February 13, 2013, 02:24:12 PM »
« edited: February 13, 2013, 02:33:16 PM by DemPGH »

Voted hardback, but trade paperbacks are great. Mass market if it's something I'm only vaguely interested in and am looking for a cheap read that will satisfy some passing curiosity, like every now and again I get in the mood to check out some classic title that I never read before but have only heard about.

Not into the e-reader thing either, like most folks here. I still like to have a book with actual pages in my hands. I like to smell the pages and break it in just a bit, although I'm not hard on my books and I tend to not write in them. But I know folks who have Kindles and Nooks, and they love them. Just haven't made the jump yet - I'm sure I will in time.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »

I don't really understand the hate on e-books. I enjoy reading on my Kindle just as much; it depends on what I have.

Same here. I really don't see what the problem is. I suppose those who dislike them are also listening to 45s.

I like books as physical objects. I find them beautiful, in a way that isn't necessarily separate from the beauty of the content. I don't find sleek pieces of plastic or whatever else e-books are made of beautiful.

Ha, that's a nice comment and one I agree with. It's even more obvious when you tour a special collection. I've held in my hands and sat down with an early Quixote, an original Newton, and an early Galileo, among others - the Galileo had his own writing in it with his signature. I think the Newton did as well. It was stunning.

If ever I became a zillionaire and felt the impulse to spend horrendous amounts of money on something, it would be rare books, clearly. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies