Economy as issue in 2016 - will it be better, worse or same?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:50:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Economy as issue in 2016 - will it be better, worse or same?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will the economy be better, worse or about same as now in Nov 2016?
Better

Same

Worse

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Economy as issue in 2016 - will it be better, worse or same?  (Read 3266 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2014, 09:33:28 PM »

So today the unemployment rate hit 5.9%

Obviously this isn't the only indicator, but the economy continues to recover (albeit slowly). So do folks expect things to continue to get better between now and Nov 2016?.

Will the economy be the top issue or even the number two issue in 2016?
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 09:38:18 PM »

I suppose the economy could gradually get better between now and 2016, but there is enough time between now and then for an economic slowdown of some degree. I suspect the economy will be the top issue in the coming presidential election; if it is not, the only issue I could see taking precedence is some sort of war or a significant national security/foreign policy story shortly before the election.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 11:45:45 AM »

There's no bubble forming.  People will complain about slow, but it can grow like thIs infinitely.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 12:15:05 PM »

It should be better by 2016, if not then it will remain the big issue.
m4567
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 04:04:03 PM »

The same or slightly better.

This is actually the best year for job creation since 1999.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 07:15:34 PM »

Somewhat better.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »

So today the unemployment rate hit 5.9%

That's a big deal! Didn't see that news anywhere actually. Any links? This is some pretty amazing news for Hillary actually (Obama as well, but he won't run for anything anytime soon, although he'll probably become UN Secretary General or Secretary of State or something like that down the road).
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2014, 07:25:35 PM by eric82oslo »

If the price of oil drops below 70 dollars, or even just 80 dollars, it might endanger the oil boom in North Dakota and other states I've read. It's already dropped amazingly just over the past week or so. It's in the low 90ies right now. And Saudi Arabia has actually increased production lately, instead of trying to counteract the price fall, which the country in unison with OPEC has almost always tried to do in the past when steep price falls have been imminent. Some oil experts (it's actually a profession believe it or not lol) think that Saudi Arabia might be trying to speculate in another way, by trying to push out American producers, Saudi Arabia might keep up its curreny market share, instead of a drop in market share which would happen in other scenarios. So besides the unemployment rate, the price of oil is probably something one should continue to keep an eye on.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 10:18:02 PM »

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 12:40:52 PM »

If the price of oil drops below 70 dollars, or even just 80 dollars, it might endanger the oil boom in North Dakota and other states I've read. It's already dropped amazingly just over the past week or so. It's in the low 90ies right now. And Saudi Arabia has actually increased production lately, instead of trying to counteract the price fall, which the country in unison with OPEC has almost always tried to do in the past when steep price falls have been imminent. Some oil experts (it's actually a profession believe it or not lol) think that Saudi Arabia might be trying to speculate in another way, by trying to push out American producers, Saudi Arabia might keep up its curreny market share, instead of a drop in market share which would happen in other scenarios. So besides the unemployment rate, the price of oil is probably something one should continue to keep an eye on.

Well, low oil prices/low gas prices are generally good for incumbents.  The major oil-producing states are almost all Safe R, so it's hard to see major impacts there except perhaps in a primary.  I view this as the Saudi's last stand.  If they drive down the price of oil too far, the US and China will get serious about natural gas.  Then the Middle East becomes completely irrelevant geopolitically.  And climate change becomes much less of an issue with the world running on natural gas as opposed to coal and oil.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 03:43:19 PM »

I think it'll be better, but income inequality/wage stagnation will still be an issue.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »

It'll be better. Unless something unforeseen happens, I can this election being like 2000 in that there's no major, overarching issue.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 09:53:05 PM »

Worse.  Another downturn is starting.  The signs are there, starting in real estate and the markets appeared to have peaked.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 02:53:25 AM »

Obamas low approval ratings are actually rather astonishing when you look at those numbers. Republicans might call it a slow recovery, but compare this to Europe where there has hardly been any recovery at all. The expansive policy of the US has beaten the austerity policies of Europe to a pulp.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 09:59:20 PM »

Some worldwide indicators are not looking good, makes me more nervous than I was last month, I think anyone expecting a huge improvement in the economy by 2016 is in fantasy land.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 10:34:46 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2014, 10:36:50 PM by eric82oslo »

Some worldwide indicators are not looking good, makes me more nervous than I was last month, I think anyone expecting a huge improvement in the economy by 2016 is in fantasy land.

I agree, it's depressing. Russia (Ukraine) is the big sinner here, although the Eurozone isn't far behind either. Sad Then you have the slowdown and possible property/private debt crisis in China, as well as the slowdown in Brazil and Argentina. The US economy is actually one of the few bright spots at the moment. Sad Yet at this moment in time, it surely isn't big or potent enough to lift the whole world out of an oxygen-short crisis.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »

I agree, it's depressing. Russia (Ukraine) is the big sinner here, although the Eurozone isn't far behind either. Sad Then you have the slowdown and possible property/private debt crisis in China, as well as the slowdown in Brazil and Argentina. The US economy is actually one of the few Bright spots at the moment. Sad

And thats not a good thing.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 10:22:30 AM »

I think it'll be better, but income inequality/wage stagnation will still be an issue.

Yes, this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies