Hong Kong under National Security Law; Some Pro-Democracy disband political parties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:59:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hong Kong under National Security Law; Some Pro-Democracy disband political parties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hong Kong under National Security Law; Some Pro-Democracy disband political parties  (Read 3154 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 30, 2020, 07:12:30 PM »

The loss of Hong Kong will not last long. The people of Hong Kong, once integrated with China, will spread across the land. When the people of China hear the stories of freedom and liberty and compare it with their own lives under Beijing, nothing and no one will hold them down for long. Those who oppress their people, who restrict information, who wage injustice and evil, may rule for the night.

However, I have seen into the future: I have seen the glory of the dawn of true humanity, of freedom and justice over China. It will be the beginning of the end for dictators and those who do wrong. It will be the beginning of a new day for all mankind, a day of reconciliation which will know no end. This is the bright and brilliant future I’ve seen, and I pray that I may live to see just a minute of its beginning.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 10:54:59 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/10/politics/china-sanctions-rubio-cruz-cotton-smith/index.html

China said on Monday it has imposed sanctions on 11 Americans, including six US lawmakers, for "behaving badly on Hong Kong-related issues."

The action is the latest in escalating tensions between the two countries and a back-and forth in sanctions. The US on Friday sanctioned Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam as well as 10 other Chinese and Hong Kong officials for their role in crackdowns on political freedom in the region -- the latest measure taken by the Trump administration in response to China's imposition of a controversial national security law on Hong Kong.

"The US action (Friday) was a blatant interference in Hong Kong's affairs and in China's internal affairs," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Monday. "It was in serious violation of international law and basic norms governing international relations."

Sens. Marco Rubio of Florida, Ted Cruz of Texas, Tom Cotton of Arkansas, Josh Hawley of Missouri and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania and Rep. Chris Smith of New Jersey were the US lawmakers sanctioned by Beijing.

<snip>

Humans Rights Watch Executive Director Kenneth Roth, President of the National Endowment for Democracy Carl Gershman, President of National Democratic Institute Derek Mitchell, President of the International Republican Institute Daniel Twining and President of Freedom House Michael Abramowitz were also sanctioned.

No sanctions against President Trump or his family to this point.

It’s kind of bigger news to me that they are going to sanction all HRW-like organization leaders.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies