ALEA IACTA EST: A Roman Republic Game (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:15:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  ALEA IACTA EST: A Roman Republic Game (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ALEA IACTA EST: A Roman Republic Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 3014 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 20, 2017, 04:43:43 PM »

“Citizens! I speak to you today to speak out in favor of my own education. I pledge that, should I be elected, free grain for the poor will be guaranteed, and the amounts will be increased by 20%. Furthermore, I intend to have all freed-men, plebeians, and patricians be guaranteed the amount of eighty denarii for every son they have, for the first two sons, and sixty denarii for the third and fourth. This will be paid out at birth, and twice this amount will be given to the parents on the child’s twelfth birthday and on the child’s sixteenth birthday. On his sixteenth birthday, if the son joins the military, he will be guaranteed a fifty denarii grant for joining, and his parents will be guaranteed a ninety denarii grant. This only applies so long as the Republic needs his services as a soldier.

“I would also like to propose that we raise the pay of the legionaries to 225 denarii annually after five years, but with a starting salary of 125 denarii for the first year, 150 denarii the second, and so on. By thus increasing the amount, our legionaries will be better able to afford their expenses and food, and we will not need to make future payments of land or property if they are paid higher amounts.

“Finally, I intend to create a Roman library, where the knowledge of our times will be stored. The librarians will allow one denarii to read twenty pages, or to copy a page assigned by the librarian from our most important works for every twenty pages read. The donation of writings will be judged by the librarians, and the donor will be awarded anywhere from two pages to read for every page donated, or as much as twenty pages to read for every page donated.

“Fellow Romans! By raising public spending and by auditing the Roman treasury, I assure you that we will raise Rome to levels never before seen. The Roman people are quite probably the greatest people in all the world. We will raise the pay of our legionaries. We will feed our hungry. We will become a center of learning, besides being a center of culture and power. Right now, we are a dimly lit city. Vote for me, and I asssure you that we will be a shining city on a mountain apart from all others. Long live the Republic!”

Turn ended hours ago, this will not be taken into account.

Deleted. My apologies - I thought I had deposited it earlier, then I pulled up the tab and realized I hadn’t.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 01:10:58 AM »

Oh! Rome, Rome! I begged of you to demand that Pompeius pledges not to arrest any of us, and what has Pompeius done? He has spread the worst rumors about me, asserting me with money changers and foreigners. I stand apart from Egypt and Crassus, and are not the two most mortal enemies? The Pharaoh and the wealthy Romans are both rightly unpopular, as the one is a foreign King, though an ally of our Republic, and of the latter many have oppressed my friends, the freed-men and plebeians of Rome, as well as many patricians.

Furthermore, I wish all to know that the actions of consul Milo and the dictator Pompeius are most illegal. To the legionaries, I beg that none side against our great Republic. I will not call on you to turn against Pompey - that may come from an orator twice as good as me. That said, if my friends in Rome feel endangered, I urge them to flee to me. I urge the good Senators who remain to declare the attempt on my life illegal, as Roman law clearly dictates. To the former dictator Pompey and the former consul Milo, I say this: you have broken the laws of the Republic and the trust of the people. You have ordered the death of a Roman citizen without the consent of the Senate. I predicted you would try to arrest me, but not be so foolhardy as to try to execute me. Which of you is responsible? Or is it both?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies