Did Susan Collins just announced her retirement? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:51:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Did Susan Collins just announced her retirement? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Susan Collins just announced her retirement?  (Read 6752 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 05, 2018, 03:31:02 PM »
« edited: October 05, 2018, 03:35:18 PM by MT Treasurer »

Uh, no? She was always much more likely to lose the primary than the general.

And no, she certainly doesn’t need to win "~40% of Democrats" in a D+3 state. Get real.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 05:59:02 PM »

To those saying that we're "overreacting", I'm curious what would be an appropriate time for a strong reaction. A moronic celebrity with no political experience who talks like a 1st grader and proposed banning people from certain countries/religions from entering this country was elected president, and being deeply upset about that was "overreacting." Republicans held a Supreme Court seat open for a year (and would've tried to do so for 4 more years), refusing to even hold hearings for Garland, and the consequences they faced were getting a trifecta and facing no resistance for their nominee, Gorsuch. Oh, but we "overreacted" to that as well. Trump actually did ban people from certain countries from entering this country, and again we heard about the "PC left getting triggered." An ongoing investigation into a foreign government trying to influence our elections, for which several indictments have been made, is a "witch hunt", and a product of the left being "butthurt" about Trump winning.

And now, Republicans rush Kavanaugh onto the Court, demonstrating cosmic levels of hypocrisy, all the while not investigating the allegations seriously, and ignoring the fact that he perjured himself under oath multiple times. I suppose we're just supposed to take that in stride, right? Or the fact that after we're accused of not being empathetic enough and not relating to/listening to voters who have different opinions, while most Republicans have absolutely no interest in "understanding" or listening to liberals. In fact, the current brand of the Republican Party revels in mocking us and takes pleasure in our anger and pain. When is it acceptable for us to express our frustration with a toxic political environment that frankly isn't fair, and feels less like a democracy every day?

Some of us are tired of double standards regarding civility and discourse. We have to be civil and Republicans don't. We have to understand and respect people with other opinions and Republicans don't. Republicans seem to be gambling on the idea that either Democrats will never get a trifecta again, or that Democrats will still want to "play nice" even after everything that's happened over the past decade. I don't think that's a risk that will pay off well for the Republicans.

What happened with you? I thought Reasonable Republicans™ such as yourself and Bill Kristol were part of the #resistance?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 09:26:13 PM »

While I think people are exaggerating the impact this will have, the issue will almost certainly hurt Collins more than someone like Doug Jones (even though it helps her in the primary). She’s unlikely to lose, but her margin of victory next time will be greatly reduced.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 01:36:47 PM »

Tom Allen wasn’t a serious challenger to Collins? That’s news to me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies