"Eat The Landlords" - housing reform partisans target Brooklyn Housing Court overnight (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:22:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Eat The Landlords" - housing reform partisans target Brooklyn Housing Court overnight (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Eat The Landlords" - housing reform partisans target Brooklyn Housing Court overnight  (Read 3061 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: October 19, 2020, 01:37:49 AM »

Leftists destroyed this country's housing market with habitability warranties, zoning laws, rent control, and high taxes. Now they're acting as though the free market caused the housing shortage that came about as a direct result of their inept mismanagement.

I find your first paragraph to be unsympathetic, but I agree with you here. Rent control and overzealous zoning laws are to blame for where we are.

NIMBY-ism is a bipartisan belief, unfortunately. And YIMBY-ism is a suicidal political stance to take.

We need massive reform now.

BUILD MORE HOUSING.

Yep, this is an easily solvable problem through aggressive growth. We're choosing not to have enough homes.

As a concession to the left, rent control in a portion of these apartments will likely need to be instituted. But building more is the only way out of a housing crisis, and the current anti-landlord fixation of the authoritarian left is going to result in fewer homes, not more.
I did not know the Authoritarian left was so broad to include social democrats and anarchists.

That is the mind of people with money. Anyone who dares try to suggest new ideas is suddenly a Stalinist, conveniently forgetting that people turn to extreme ideologies when they are being left behind.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 10:31:44 PM »

Dule, someone clearly struck a nerve with you a few pages back. I understand now is a tough time for everyone. Life sucks. No doubt that your family's income may be down substantially if you rely on rental property. I get it.

But we have an eviction moratorium for a reason: millions of people have been laid off and unemployment checks have hit new lows, There are hundreds of thousands of renters in California who cannot pay rent right now. If we let the eviction courts run unimpeded, we would be faced with the largest homeless crisis since the Great Depression.

Those with the ability to pay should pay rent. But let's not pretend that this moratorium isn't necessary.

Libertarians, as a general rule, operate on 'screw everyone but me.'
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies