Opinion of the quote: "Our grandchildren will look at us...as slaveholder equivalents" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:39:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the quote: "Our grandchildren will look at us...as slaveholder equivalents" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion
Freedom Quote

Horrible Quote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Opinion of the quote: "Our grandchildren will look at us...as slaveholder equivalents"  (Read 1321 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: January 21, 2023, 01:35:54 PM »

I mean, maybe, but that just goes to show why judging entire historical groups of people is dumb.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 07:58:26 AM »

Frankly, these kinds of statements tend to be made by overly cynical and censorious types (the kinds of people who make me think Jordan Peterson had a point about "woke moralists"), but to me, it should be actually read as a hopeful statement? Like, I hope that one day our moral sensibilities will have evolved enough that the everyday forms of barbarity we tolerate today will seem intolerable to our future selves. That would be a reassuring sign that humanity can continue to progress, not just materially, but morally as well. The idea that this should be used to indict us is ridiculous, though. We don't choose to be born at a particular time in history, and while we bear some responsibility for the things we directly choose to do, most of our everyday choices are dictated by forces far beyond out control (and yes, vegans, that includes things like eating meat if you've been socialized in a way that made meat into a fundamental part of your diet - most people aren't able to change that on a dime). This impulse to guilt individual for systemic injustices is an abject failure of modern leftist thinking and is a big part of why we come off as insufferable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies