1964 United States Presidential Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:41:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1964 United States Presidential Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Yeeha. We got the classic matchup of a New England Republican and a Texan Democrat whose ego is as big as his state.
President Margaret Chase Smith (Republican-Maine)/Senator Barry Morris Goldwater (Republican-Arizona)

Senator Lyndon Baines Johnson (Democrat-Texas)/Senator John Fitzgerald Kennedy (Democrat-Massachusetts)

Unpledged Electors

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: 1964 United States Presidential Election  (Read 11598 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: April 03, 2013, 10:44:46 AM »

I'm going unpledged. LBJ was horrendous since he spent money on social programs while getting us involved in another war to fund which brought inflation up and put us in a terrible recession. Plus, I doubt that if he was alive to this day, even though he was a Democrat, he seemed old-fashioned and came from Texas he would denounce marriage equality as well. Next time, in '68, the Democrats need a better candidate than Mr. Look At My Scar.

In that case, you should vote against every candidate for President until Barack Obama in 2012, the only one who has ever been on record favoring marriage equality. Judging LBJ by the standards of 2012 is insane.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »

I'm going unpledged. LBJ was horrendous since he spent money on social programs while getting us involved in another war to fund which brought inflation up and put us in a terrible recession. Plus, I doubt that if he was alive to this day, even though he was a Democrat, he seemed old-fashioned and came from Texas he would denounce marriage equality as well. Next time, in '68, the Democrats need a better candidate than Mr. Look At My Scar.

In that case, you should vote against every candidate for President until Barack Obama in 2012, the only one who has ever been on record favoring marriage equality. Judging LBJ by the standards of 2012 is insane.
So since when did Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton become non-existent? They didn't support same-sex marriage until after their Presidencies, but it still counts. LBJ still had some "old" Democratic Party ideals that would be Republican today because during his time, there were Democrats in control of states like Oklahoma, Arkansas, and of course Texas and their definition to this day, even for some of the few Democrats still there like Pryor, is that marriage should be between a man and a woman. I would expect nothing less from LBJ to this day to say something like that.

Carter and Clinton never advocated it while in office. Clinton signed the Defense of Marriage Act and established Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Hardly pro-gay policy positions. What were the "old" Democratic Party ideals that would be Republican today? Obviously no economic issues fit that bill, because LBJ was far to the left of Carter, Clinton, and Obama. Why are you judging your vote on this of all things? I mean, again, this is the equivalent of voting against Abe Lincoln because he didn't support the equal rights amendment. You can't judge past historical figures by the standards of today.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 11:30:24 PM »

Seriously, if progressives vote out Johnson because of a policy that Smith will also pursue in the White House, there's little hope for a united front in '68, especially if the Republicans nominate George Romney.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies