1964 United States Presidential Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:09:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1964 United States Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Poll
Question: Yeeha. We got the classic matchup of a New England Republican and a Texan Democrat whose ego is as big as his state.
President Margaret Chase Smith (Republican-Maine)/Senator Barry Morris Goldwater (Republican-Arizona)

Senator Lyndon Baines Johnson (Democrat-Texas)/Senator John Fitzgerald Kennedy (Democrat-Massachusetts)

Unpledged Electors

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: 1964 United States Presidential Election  (Read 11597 times)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2013, 01:56:52 PM »

Smith.
Chase and Barry "Let's nuke Vietnam" Goldwater will be much, much possibly slightly worse than LBJ.

Though why you would vote for either when there's a far better option is beyond me.

Anyways, Morse wasn't a segregationist that I know of, and Fulbright was many things besides that. You could do far worse.
Wayne Morse wasn't a segregationist, but he did vote against the 1957 Civil Rights Act.  So did JFK.

Massachusetts
AYE      D     Kennedy, John    MA

"Morse joined the Democratic Party in 1955, but two years later he voted against Senate Majority Leader Lyndon B. Johnson’s watered-down Civil Rights Bill, calling it an “unconscionable compromise.”"

So yeah, Morse voted against the 1957 one because it didn't go far enough, and Kennedy voted for it.
Sources?   Everything I've read says that Morse voted against it in exchange for a dam, and JFK voted No.

Here is the line SJoyce quoted on Morse (page 7).
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »

Johnson's lead has grown!
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »

Would laugh if the unpledged electors went for Chase.

The outrage would be... beautiful.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2013, 05:52:56 PM »

Smith.
Chase and Barry "Let's nuke Vietnam" Goldwater will be much, much possibly slightly worse than LBJ.

Though why you would vote for either when there's a far better option is beyond me.

Anyways, Morse wasn't a segregationist that I know of, and Fulbright was many things besides that. You could do far worse.
Wayne Morse wasn't a segregationist, but he did vote against the 1957 Civil Rights Act.  So did JFK.

Massachusetts
AYE      D     Kennedy, John    MA

"Morse joined the Democratic Party in 1955, but two years later he voted against Senate Majority Leader Lyndon B. Johnson’s watered-down Civil Rights Bill, calling it an “unconscionable compromise.”"

So yeah, Morse voted against the 1957 one because it didn't go far enough, and Kennedy voted for it.
Sources?   Everything I've read says that Morse voted against it in exchange for a dam, and JFK voted No.

Here is the line SJoyce quoted on Morse (page 7).
Everything I read said Kennedy voted against.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »

Everything I read said Kennedy voted against.

Sjoyce linked you the source that RECORDS ALL OF THE VOTES OF CONGRESS Oldies, so you've been reading some sh**t sources.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2013, 06:55:40 PM »

I'm going unpledged. LBJ was horrendous since he spent money on social programs while getting us involved in another war to fund which brought inflation up and put us in a terrible recession. Plus, I doubt that if he was alive to this day, even though he was a Democrat, he seemed old-fashioned and came from Texas he would denounce marriage equality as well. Next time, in '68, the Democrats need a better candidate than Mr. Look At My Scar.

In that case, you should vote against every candidate for President until Barack Obama in 2012, the only one who has ever been on record favoring marriage equality. Judging LBJ by the standards of 2012 is insane.
So since when did Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton become non-existent? They didn't support same-sex marriage until after their Presidencies, but it still counts. LBJ still had some "old" Democratic Party ideals that would be Republican today because during his time, there were Democrats in control of states like Oklahoma, Arkansas, and of course Texas and their definition to this day, even for some of the few Democrats still there like Pryor, is that marriage should be between a man and a woman. I would expect nothing less from LBJ to this day to say something like that.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2013, 07:08:25 PM »

Gay rights is really a ridiculous thing to base your vote in a 1964 election. But if you're so instant on doing so, I would like to remind you that the Republican nominee for Vice President supports the right of openly gay people to serve in the military. Wink
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2013, 07:37:38 PM »

With that amount of unpledged votes and the Johnson lead over Smith, the electoral map is going to look really weird...
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2013, 07:42:18 PM »

With that amount of unpledged votes and the Johnson lead over Smith, the electoral map is going to look really weird...

Unpledged was only on the ballot in Alabama in '64, but they currently have 23% of the vote, or about 23 times the number of voters in Alabama in '64.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2013, 09:22:20 PM »

I'm going unpledged. LBJ was horrendous since he spent money on social programs while getting us involved in another war to fund which brought inflation up and put us in a terrible recession. Plus, I doubt that if he was alive to this day, even though he was a Democrat, he seemed old-fashioned and came from Texas he would denounce marriage equality as well. Next time, in '68, the Democrats need a better candidate than Mr. Look At My Scar.

In that case, you should vote against every candidate for President until Barack Obama in 2012, the only one who has ever been on record favoring marriage equality. Judging LBJ by the standards of 2012 is insane.
So since when did Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton become non-existent? They didn't support same-sex marriage until after their Presidencies, but it still counts. LBJ still had some "old" Democratic Party ideals that would be Republican today because during his time, there were Democrats in control of states like Oklahoma, Arkansas, and of course Texas and their definition to this day, even for some of the few Democrats still there like Pryor, is that marriage should be between a man and a woman. I would expect nothing less from LBJ to this day to say something like that.

Bill Clinton is from Arkansas. Jimmy Carter is from Georgia.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »

Carter and Clinton never advocated it while in office. Clinton signed the Defense of Marriage Act and established Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Hardly pro-gay policy positions. What were the "old" Democratic Party ideals that would be Republican today? Obviously no economic issues fit that bill, because LBJ was far to the left of Carter, Clinton, and Obama. Why are you judging your vote on this of all things? I mean, again, this is the equivalent of voting against Abe Lincoln because he didn't support the equal rights amendment. You can't judge past historical figures by the standards of today.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2013, 09:36:19 PM »

You can't judge past historical figures by the standards of today.

You also can't judge new ones by old standards. Who's to say that Carter or Clinton wouldn't have pushed for Medicare or the Civil Rights Act if it hadn't already been done? We don't know that. Who's to say LBJ would have supported the Affordable Care Act? We don't know.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2013, 09:44:04 PM »

Also, do you ladies and gentlemen think an incumbent LBJ could/would/should survive a primary challenge from George McGovern or Hubert Humphrey or Robert F. Kennedy in 1968?

Continuing on this, would he even run for reelection? He didn't IRL, and since he'd be facing pretty much the same circumstances but with even more leftist outrage over 'Nam, would he still decline?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2013, 10:42:43 PM »

Johnson's under 40%!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2013, 10:43:29 PM »

Also, do you ladies and gentlemen think an incumbent LBJ could/would/should survive a primary challenge from George McGovern or Hubert Humphrey or Robert F. Kennedy in 1968?

Continuing on this, would he even run for reelection? He didn't IRL, and since he'd be facing pretty much the same circumstances but with even more leftist outrage over 'Nam, would he still decline?

He did run in 1968. He dropped out when he realized he had no chance.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2013, 11:30:24 PM »

Seriously, if progressives vote out Johnson because of a policy that Smith will also pursue in the White House, there's little hope for a united front in '68, especially if the Republicans nominate George Romney.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2013, 11:45:57 PM »

He did run in 1968. He dropped out when he realized he had no chance.

Ah, my mistake.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2013, 08:03:36 AM »
« Edited: April 04, 2013, 08:07:25 AM by Senator X »

This is a high-turnout election for a race in which the two main candidates are pretty similar (although I suppose the strength of unpledged electors reflects voter dissatisfaction).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2013, 08:53:01 AM »

We need a tie-breaker (in favor of Smith)!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2013, 09:23:20 AM »

We need a tie-breaker (in favor of Smith)!

Voted Tongue
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »

We've already got a rather large amount of votes and we've still got a day left!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2013, 01:36:21 PM »

It's all tied up!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2013, 01:53:22 PM »

Wow... Who said we would never have competitive elections? Wink
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2013, 06:06:48 PM »

Smith has taken the lead again! Now we get to blame the Republicans for Vietnam!
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2013, 06:11:08 PM »

It was nice knowing you Atlamerica, but it seems like neoliberals are about to kill you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies