Democrats Only
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:23:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Democrats Only
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: With which organization do you more strongly associate yourself?
Progressive Democrats of America

Democratic Leadership Council

Blue Dog Coalition

Not a Democrat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Democrats Only  (Read 3105 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2006, 08:59:26 PM »

The Progressive Democrats of America is a progressive organization that formed out of the members of Dennis Kucinich's Presidential Campaign as well as Democracy for America, an organization that itself grew out of the Howard Dean Presidential Campaign.

The mission of the Progressive Democrats of America (PDA) is to strengthen the voice of progressive ideas within the Democratic Party. This is to be achieved by using the "inside/outside" model of working both in the Democratic Party as well as working with other progressive organizations. Celebrating the first anniversary of the movement, the PDA has grown and is developing a grassroots organization to improve the Democratic Party.

Democratic Leadership Council

The Democratic Leadership Council is an influential non-profit corporation that argues that the United States Democratic Party should shift away from the its traditionally progressive positions. Conservative and Moderate Democratic party leaders founded the DLC in response to the landslide victory of Republican candidate Ronald Reagan over Democratic candidate Walter Mondale during the 1984 Presidential election. The founders believed the United States Democratic Party needed to shift to the center to remain viable during the Reagan era. The DLC hails President Clinton as proof of the viability of third way politicians and a DLC success story. Critics contend that the DLC is effectively a powerful, corporate-financed mouthpiece within the Democratic party that acts to keep Democratic Party candidates and platforms sympathetic to corporate interests and the interests of the wealthy.

The DLC's affiliated think tank is the Progressive Policy Institute. Democrats who adhere to the DLC's philosophy often call themselves New Democrats.

Blue Dog Coalition

The Blue Dog Coalition is a group of moderate to conservative Democrats in the United States House of Representatives. The group is currently made up of 35 Democrats, mostly from the U.S. Southern states.

Often, the group will be instrumental in striking a balance between liberal and conservative ideas. Despite Blue Dogs' differing degrees of economic and social conservatism, they share a strong orientation toward fiscal responsibility, and as a rule work to promote positions within the House of Representatives which bridge the gap between the two extremes. Blue Dogs are an important swing vote on spending bills and, as a result, have gained an influence in Congress out of proportion to their small numbers. They are frequently sought after to broker compromises between the Democratic and Republican leadership.

Blue Dog Democrats tend to differ ideologically from another coalition of moderate Democrats, the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC). The DLC describes itself as new Democrat and positions itself as centrist while taking liberal positions on social issues and conservative positions on economic issues and trade. Democrats who identify with the Blue Dogs, on the other hand, tend to be social conservatives, but have differing positions on economic issues ranging from fiscal conservatism to economic populism. For example, most Blue Dogs are strong supporters of gun rights and get high ratings from the National Rifle Association, many have pro-life voting records, and some get high ratings from immigration reduction groups, which cannot be said for most members of the DLC. On economic issues, Blue Dogs span the spectrum from fiscal conservatives to supporters of labor unions, protectionism, and other populist measures, while the DLC tends to favor free trade.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 09:05:12 PM »

Progressive Democrats of America.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 09:21:22 PM »

Midway between the Progressives and the DLC.  I like a lot of both's ideas, but I know I'm nowhere near a Blue Dog.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 09:24:45 PM »

DLC
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 09:29:08 PM »

Why would Democrats Respond to a poll that says "Democrats only" by saying "I'm not a Democrat"?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 09:46:50 PM »

Blue Dog Coalition
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 09:52:25 PM »

Social issues: Progressive Democrats of America
Economic issues: DLC
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 09:55:16 PM »

The DLC really isn't that centrist on social issues as you may think.  Really, they're standard liberal.  You're probably an all-around DLC Democrat, except for perhaps foreign policy.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 09:55:50 PM »

Although I identify most with the Progressives, but I am a mix of all three.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 09:58:11 PM »

The DLC really isn't that centrist on social issues as you may think.  Really, they're standard liberal.  You're probably an all-around DLC Democrat, except for perhaps foreign policy.

I suppose your right.

DLC-Democrat with Progressive Democrats for Foreign Policy.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 12:27:57 AM »

Why would Democrats Respond to a poll that says "Democrats only" by saying "I'm not a Democrat"?

That's the spot for people to pick if they aren't a Democrat.  It's been established that people generally feel an uncontrollable urge to pick a choice in a poll even if they know that they shouldn't; hence, an option is given for people to pick that will not skew the results.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 05:43:18 AM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 06:35:30 AM »

Blue Dogs o/c
And is it just me or do the Progressive Democrats sound worryingly Entryist?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 07:15:00 AM »

I would probably associate with the DLC due to their social and economic positions, but sympathise with the Blue Dogs to an extent.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 09:23:48 AM »

Probably DLC
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 11:07:43 AM »

Progressives and Blue Dogs.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 12:51:04 PM »

Lol, those are some funny descriptions. Progressive Americans are generic left-liberals. The DLC are part of an evil corporatinist conspiracy. And the Blue Dogs are noble moderates working together for the best of the nation.

Did you write those yourself Frodo?

I guess I'm split midway between Blue Dogs and DLC.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 02:32:23 PM »

Actually, I think I recognized part of the passages describing them from wikipedia.

Though, essentially they are accurate.  DLC is economically center-right, socially liberal, Progressives are hard-left by both measures, Blue Dogs are socially center to center-right, Economically pragmatic-populist.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 03:13:28 PM »

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 04:19:17 PM »

Actually, I think I recognized part of the passages describing them from wikipedia.

Though, essentially they are accurate.  DLC is economically center-right, socially liberal, Progressives are hard-left by both measures, Blue Dogs are socially center to center-right, Economically pragmatic-populist.

I don't think the DLC is as right wing as you think.  Some of its members have some center-right economic policies, but others are about where I am. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006, 04:48:01 PM »

The DLC is a joke. It has some members that blindly criticize all liberals, and it also has Gavin Newsom as a member.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2006, 07:47:54 PM »

Progessive for social issues, DLC for economic
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2006, 08:09:05 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2006, 08:11:14 PM by Frodo »

Progessive for social issues, DLC for economic

Then you're basically a DLC Dem -they are generally moderate-to-liberal on cultural issues, and are center-right on economics.

I think you might seem more at home with the PDA than the Blue Dogs -you strike me as more of a liberal than a populist.   
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2006, 09:41:25 PM »

PDA is to the left of DLC on social issues.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2006, 10:37:53 PM »

I would probably associate with the DLC due to their social and economic positions, but sympathise with the Blue Dogs to an extent.

If you lived in the USA, you wouldn't have anything to do with the Blue Dogs, trust me. You're able to have a different perspective over there in Andrew Sullivan-land.

Personally, I'm option 1

But only people from options 2 or 3 are ever going to win back the White House. I am more receptive to these groups now than I have been in the past.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies