Resolution on the Middle East Conflict (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:51:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Resolution on the Middle East Conflict (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Resolution on the Middle East Conflict  (Read 15101 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 27, 2006, 04:34:09 PM »

This is in the fifth slot.

Resolution on the Middle East Conflict

Recognising that the security and stability of the Middle East is threatened by the current conflict between Hizbollah and Israel,

The Atlasian Senate hereby recognises that;
(1) the terrorist group, Hizbollah, is acting without legitimate cause or grievance;
(2) it is acting with the tacit support of the Syrian and Iranian governments;
(3) should this support continue the government of Atlasia should not stand idly by, but should actively support the state of Israel in dealing with this foreign aggression;
(4) while the state of Israel is entitled to be strong and secure within its borders, attacks on non-military targets, inflicting fatalities and serious injuries on foreign citizens, are actions contrary to generally recognised human rights and should be discontinued.

Sponsor: Sen. Jas
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 04:34:58 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2006, 09:07:52 AM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

I hereby introduce this amendment to rewrite the bill:

Recognizing that the security and stability of the Middle East is threatened by the current conflict between Hezbollah and Israel,

The Atlasian Senate hereby recognizes that:
1. The terrorist group, Hezbollah, is acting without legitimate cause or grievance and is slaughtering innocent Israeli citizens.
2. It is acting with the tacit support of the Syrian and Iranian governments.

Thus the Atlasian Senate hereby:
1. Condemns Hezbollah, Syria and Iran.
2. Condemns Hezbollah for launching rockets from civilian areas, thus making Israel attack civilian areas and causing undue death of Lebanese citizens to protect its own citizens.
3. Gives wholehearted support to the Israeli government in their attacks against Hezbollah and supports its complete destruction.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 09:08:14 AM »

Ok, I have withdrawn clause 4, I hope it's satisfactory to most Senators so it can pass.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 04:37:05 PM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Recognizing that the security and stability of the Middle East is threatened by the current conflict between Hezbollah and Israel,

1. The terrorist group, Hezbollah, is acting without legitimate cause or grievance and is slaughtering innocent Israeli citizens.

2. Condemns Hezbollah for launching rockets from civilian areas, thus making Israel attack civilian areas and causing undue death of Lebanese citizens to protect its own citizens.
3. Gives wholehearted support to the Israeli government in their attacks against Hezbollah and supports its complete destruction.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 04:39:13 PM »

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 11:34:34 AM »

And, we need the Vice President.

Correct, and he's been gone for about half a month now. Sad
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 03:39:35 PM »

Bump to the top for Q, if he comes back.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 02:06:46 PM »

Given his unexplained time away since 17 July, I believe it is fair to describe the VP as absent (if not indeed having left the office vacant). Presumably, Article 1, Section 1, Clause 4 of the Constitution is applicable:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would suggest that in the circumstances the PPT is entitled to lodge a casting vote. Whilest I presume that the PPT retains strong backing for the Israeli actions, I would rather that the Senate deals continues to try and deal with the issue rather than allow the resolution to flounder.

That would be completely unconstitutional and, IIRC, against the regulations that the Senate has put forward. In order for the tie to be broken either Q needs to come back or a new VP must be selected.

For my own benefit, could you cite the relevant parts of the Constitution and of the OSPR which render the suggestion inoperable.

Article 1, Section 1, Clause 3 of the Constitution is all that talks about it. The VP breaks the tie and I can't do anything about it. And IIRC (not sure) the VP has 7 days to do it otherwise the amendment will fail.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 06:40:55 AM »

IIRC (not sure) the VP has 7 days to do it otherwise the amendment will fail.

Given that more than 7 days have passed, can we assume the amendment has thus failed?

No, WMS tied the vote with an Aye on August 1, 7 days from that time to break the tie is tomorrow.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 10:47:03 AM »

With 5 Ayes, 5 Nays and 0 Abstentions and Q not around in the required time to break the tie, this amendment has failed.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 07:13:02 AM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

3. Gives support for the Israeli government to defend its territories and citizens against Hezballoh attacks.
4. Calls upon Syria and Iran to end their tacit support of Hezballoh.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 07:13:56 AM »

Aye

That may well be, but one would respectfully ask what initiatives the executive have taken regarding the conflict?

We filibustered MasterJedi's horrible amendment.

You didn't filibuster it Ebowed, you just have a horribly inactive VP, we need to do something about that.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 06:06:12 PM »

I would like to raise the question of why my amendment, submitted before Jake's has been leapfrogged.

I would also like to propose an amendment to be added to the resolution:

Recognising the profoundly detrimental effect the conflict has had on innocent persons in the region, the Senate calls upon the Atlasian executive to persue active engagement in the conflict with the objective of ending the hostilities there with due haste.

I would like the apologize, I missed it, that's why I didn't see it. It shall be up next.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 07:13:52 AM »

Being that this amendment has been open for voting for seven days: With 4 Ayes, 3 Nays and 0 Abstentions this amendment has passed.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 07:23:53 AM »

I would like to apologize to missing this but: I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

I would also like to propose an amendment to be added to the resolution:

Recognising the profoundly detrimental effect the conflict has had on innocent persons in the region, the Senate calls upon the Atlasian executive to persue active engagement in the conflict with the objective of ending the hostilities there with due haste.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 07:24:14 AM »

Nay
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 07:56:59 AM »

Virginian87 still needs to vote for this amendment.....
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 08:36:40 AM »

This amendment has failed.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2006, 09:07:52 AM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this resolution. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2006, 09:08:30 AM »

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2006, 02:34:09 PM »

And this bill is tied, yay a 7 day wait because Q isn't around!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies