Will we see another copyright extension in 2018? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:32:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Will we see another copyright extension in 2018? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See above
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Will we see another copyright extension in 2018?  (Read 14158 times)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« on: May 10, 2017, 08:55:44 PM »

You bet it will be extended. Special interests won't let this get away from them.

Can someone explain how the laws actually work because I'm reading that Steamboat Willie won't enter public domain until 2024.

In 1998, copyright protection for works published before January 1, 1978, was increased to a total of 95 years from their publication date. Steamboat Willie was first published in 1928, so +95 will take us through the end of 2023.

Everything published now is life of the author +70, or the earliest of 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication for corporate works of authorship.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 12:05:11 AM »

Literally just finished my semester's long legislative advocacy project on this topic (sigh). I still would be very shocked if this doesn't happen sometime next year. But I do understand why there may be some hesitation. None of the justifications from the last extension really work today. For example:

1998 -> life expectancy is growing, we need to account for this so authors get their full royalties they deserve
2018 -> life expectancy has actually dropped in the last 20 years...  plus the life expectancy adjustments last time exponentially over-adjusted

1998 -> we have to lengthen the term to meet european/international standards
2018 -> well, we currently meet international standards. further extension would only go to ruin consistency

But we will see... I for one, am sick of writing the phrase "copyright term extension". I think I am going to take a nice long break.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies