Biden looks to Congress to force deal on railroad workers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 05:20:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden looks to Congress to force deal on railroad workers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Biden looks to Congress to force deal on railroad workers  (Read 3163 times)
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2022, 11:11:14 PM »

The Democrats are not a labor party anymore. They are an upscale liberal party.

We have gone back to the days of bourbon democracy, so enjoy the lip service and occasional trinkets they throw your way and don't be surprised if they also expect you to be grateful for it also.

So why do you identify as a Republican then
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2022, 11:12:10 PM »

We have gone back to the days of bourbon democracy, so enjoy the lip service and occasional trinkets they throw your way and don't be surprised if they also expect you to be grateful for it also.

I am neither upscale, nor liberal. Tongue
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2022, 11:25:13 PM »

The Democratic party is the heir to Burke and the Whigs in all but name, with a distaste for radicalism and inherent orthodoxy to procedure. You are too upscale for the Republicans y’know.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2022, 12:55:09 AM »

The Democratic party is the heir to Burke and the Whigs in all but name, with a distaste for radicalism and inherent orthodoxy to procedure. You are too upscale for the Republicans y’know.

The Democratic Party is the heirs of Alton B. Parker and Bill Clinton.

You shouldn't confuse me for some grifting Never Trumper who has the temerity to call themselves a Lincolnite Republican without even knowing who Carey or List are, and adhering to the neoliberal consensus that would (if he were alive today) have regarded Lincoln as a back country idiot for his economic views, and not mention advancing the very foreign policy adventurism that Lincoln rejected when promoted by Seward and rejected when achieved by Polk.

I am not some limp wristed Rockefeller fan boy who despises the GOP because of it being composed by the wrong sort of people, and parrots the party flip theory for reasons for self validation for their social circle while dumping all of America's wrongs on their tribal opponents. "Your one of them, ain't ya". Yes, I am, in most any context you can think of "one of them", and yet not at the same time.

Yes, I disdain mass politics, but I also loath the establishment in this country that has not only sold themselves and our country out to special interests and foreign powers, but convinced themselves it was the best thing for the country in doing so.

Yes I disdain establishment corruption and self serving style, but I also loathe the angry swinish multitude for blinding allowing themselves to be used for the advancement of the latest round of con artists, swindlers and snake oil salesmen only to realize they were used and start the same process over again (the 1990s Republican Revolution, The Tea Party, and now the Trumpist movement are all good examples of this). I especially loathe the penchant for mob rule and disregard for the law.

I really don't care much as much about "decency and behaviors", though I do prefer people who have their lives put together or at least try to do so and don't cater to the societal promotion of the opposite. I do care about laws and processes simply because unchecked authority in anyone's hands is dangerous.

I am an establishmentarian without an establishment worthy of defending. I am a revolutionary without a people wanting of liberation. I am introspection brought to life and I do not feel ashamed. I am a living paradox and you wouldn't want me any other way.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2022, 12:55:50 AM »

Ok I dont get why do many people are mad, the workers will still get a 24% pay raise which is huge. Congress made the right decision here
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2022, 01:03:49 AM »

Ok I dont get why do many people are mad, the workers will still get a 24% pay raise which is huge. Congress made the right decision here

Do you know what it is like to be on one of those damn trains?

They run their people ragged, all in the name of optimal efficiency. In part, because we as a country screw the railroads over on taxation, meanwhile subsidize their grossly inefficient competitors with endless amounts of government spending. 

Trains are the most efficient way to haul freight around, because of scale and because of rolling resistance.

There is no way these establishment neoliberals who work in nice offices and wonder "they are getting 24% increase, why don't they shut up and be happy", could ever know what it is like to be run mentally ragged, or deal with the PTSD if God forbid they hit someone.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2022, 01:07:38 AM »

To be honest, historically speaking, the US has never had a truly labor party like the UK Labour, or the the Social Democratic party of Germany.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2022, 01:08:20 AM »

They run their people ragged, all in the name of optimal efficiency. In part, because we as a country screw the railroads over on taxation, meanwhile subsidize their grossly inefficient competitors with endless amounts of government spending. 

Trains are the most efficient way to haul freight around, because of scale and because of rolling resistance.

There is no way these establishment neoliberals who work in nice offices and wonder "they are getting 24% increase, why don't they shut up and be happy", could ever know what it is like to be run mentally ragged, or deal with the PTSD if God forbid they hit someone.

I am not saying its not tough but the question is that a strike should have been avoided at all purposes. Like I am not sure if it was possible to do what JoJu said here which was congress amend the deal to say reduce the pay increase to 15% but add in the 7 paid sick days but I think the people clearly to blame here were the unions not Congress.

the Union put both their Workers and our economy in a precarious situation and I am not really sure what could have been done at this page
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2022, 01:10:41 AM »

I am not saying its not tough but the question is that a strike should have been avoided at all purposes. Like I am not sure if it was possible to do what JoJu said here which was congress amend the deal to say reduce the pay increase to 15% but add in the 7 paid sick days but I think the people clearly to blame here were the unions not Congress.

the Union put both their Workers and our economy in a precarious situation and I am not really sure what could have been done at this page

Unions and the Companies.

Both. The Companies refused to invest in the well being of their employees. And the Unions were too short sighted to see that drastic pay raises are kind of useless.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2022, 07:11:45 AM »

This has been true since (at the latest) the Clinton era. The main shifts since then have been a change in the aesthetic and the old voters becoming disconnected from the party which no longer represents them. Biden is not a labour Democrat, but in real terms, he's to the left of Clinton and Obama.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2022, 11:31:12 AM »

Biden signs legislation to avert rail shutdown

President Joe Biden on Friday signed legislation to avert a rail shutdown after congressional lawmakers raced to pass the measure amid concerns over the economic danger posed by a possible strike.

The House passed the tentative rail agreement on Wednesday, and the Senate passed the legislation on Thursday as pressure mounted on lawmakers to act swiftly.

Biden defended his administration’s efforts to avert a rail strike on Thursday, despite criticism from union leaders that a deal brokered by the White House did not meet workers’ demands for paid leave.

“I negotiated a contract no one else could negotiate – the only thing that was left out was whether or not there was a paid leave,” Biden told reporters in the White House East Room. “You know, I’ve been trying to get paid leave, not just rail workers, but for everybody.”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/02/politics/biden-signs-legislation-avert-rail-shutdown/index.html
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2022, 11:51:41 AM »

When did Gillibrand and Hickenlooper start voting with Sanders, Warren, and Merkley?

Gillibrand has been doing it for a while, at least since the beginning of the Trump administration. Hickenlooper is much more of a surprise.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2022, 11:56:52 AM »

When did Gillibrand and Hickenlooper start voting with Sanders, Warren, and Merkley?

Gillibrand has been doing it for a while, at least since the beginning of the Trump administration. Hickenlooper is much more of a surprise.

Gillibrand has been pushing for Universal Paid leave of some kind for years now. So this is right up her alley.

Same thing with Hickenlooper.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2022, 02:12:06 PM »

Gillibrand has been pushing for Universal Paid leave of some kind for years now. So this is right up her alley.

Same thing with Hickenlooper.

I imagine both of them also knew the votes were there to ensure it passed and wanted to make a statement. Probably Merkley as well.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2022, 03:00:54 PM »

Don't blame me, I voted for DWPERRY.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2022, 03:04:50 PM »

What’s next? A license to take sick leave from your own goddamn job?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2022, 03:24:58 PM »

Biden had his people negotiate in good faith with all the unions and railroads involved. He really should not be worried about taking this option, he is the most labor friendly President in decades. He also has a duty to all Americans to keep the country running and operational and prices of goods low and not inflated by infrastructure bottlenecks.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2022, 03:57:27 PM »

Biden had his people negotiate in good faith with all the unions and railroads involved. He really should not be worried about taking this option, he is the most labor friendly President in decades. He also has a duty to all Americans to keep the country running and operational and prices of goods low and not inflated by infrastructure bottlenecks.
This took longer then expected, I’ll give you that
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2022, 04:43:21 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2022, 05:13:29 PM by Dani Rose »

I'm happy for the pay increase, but this is absolutely a band-aid on a much larger wound. This needs to be, and deservedly will be, relitigated in the future. The failure to rally on the part of the administration and Democratic Party is also a complete embarrassment. Having said that, and bearing in mind that I come from a place of vehement belief in workers' rights, let's also not lose sight of leaving the overwhelming brunt of blame at the feet of Joe Manchin and the GOP.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2022, 07:51:27 AM »

The only time people should work sick is when they have mild covid.

other than that, do not come to work sick!
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2022, 08:03:16 AM »

I could explain why this post makes no sense, but it isn't going to change your mind. I'll just shake my head and move on with my day instead.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2022, 08:13:42 AM »

I could explain why this post makes no sense, but it isn't going to change your mind. I'll just shake my head and move on with my day instead.

I do believe workers should have access to sick leave.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2022, 08:23:00 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2022, 08:26:34 AM by Benjamin Frank »

The inablility to get paid sick leave is entirely the fault of the Republicans and Joe Manchin.

Contrary to what many people seem to believe here, it is not the historical norm that everything possible is subject to the filibuster and that everything possible needs 60 votes to pass the Senate.

This only became the norm starting just before the 1994 midterms when then Senate Minority leader Bob Dole announced a general filibuster on all Democratic/President Bill Clinton's legislation.

If the Republicans wanted paid sick leave, they could have agreed to a normal up and down vote.

It's very likely that the 6 Republicans who voted in favor of paid sick leave would not have done so had there been an up and down vote. Most likely they were just trolling the Democrats or pretending to suddenly be for workers.

The only Democrat who voted against this, in contrast, was Senator Manchin.

I don't know who the five who didn't vote were, but it's ridiculous that all but one Democrat votes against this, and all but 6 Republicans vote against it and suddenly you have some obviously very stupid/innumerate people claiming 'the Republicans are now the party of workers.'
ReallySuper
El Salvador

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: -7.39

« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2022, 04:52:12 PM »

Railroad Workers Union places the blame on both parties and calls for a true labor party

Obama passed an executive order in 2015 granting all federal contractors seven days of paid sick leave, but it carved out an exception for railroad workers. Biden could easily give these workers their one very basic demand in an EO right now if he wanted to. But the "most pro-labor President in decades" hasn't done that yet. weird
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2023, 08:43:13 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/most-unionized-us-rail-workers-now-have-new-sick-leave-2023-06-05/

I've got to share this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies