Do Prisons Without Air-Conditioning Constitute 'Cruel and Unusual Punishment'? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:42:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do Prisons Without Air-Conditioning Constitute 'Cruel and Unusual Punishment'? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does housing prisoners in jails without air-conditioning violate their constitutional rights?
Democrat: Yes

Democrat: No

Republican: Yes

Republican: No

independent/third party: Yes

independent/third party: No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Do Prisons Without Air-Conditioning Constitute 'Cruel and Unusual Punishment'?  (Read 6527 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 16, 2016, 04:10:39 AM »

LOL NO. If schools without air conditioning are constitutional, so are prisons without air conditioning.
indeed this.  My HS didn't have AC in one of the buildings, nor did one of my grade schools.  I guess 7 year old kids in 1980 were just tougher than prisoners are in 2016.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 09:31:21 PM »

Just to be clear, I'm not saying (and I"m guessing most people voting no feel the same way) we should take AC out of existing prisons designed with AC in place, that would be silly.  Or even that new prisons built in hot places shouldn't have them.  I (we're) saying that we don't care if prisoners are mildly discomforted because of heat.  Not dangerously so, maybe not the old or sick ones.   But a healthy 25 year old dude can handle a couple of warm months if it saves the state I live in $2.5M/year.  

Being hot because it's hot outside is not a cruel and unusual punishment.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 07:48:19 AM »

LOL NO. If schools without air conditioning are constitutional, so are prisons without air conditioning.
indeed this.  My HS didn't have AC in one of the buildings, nor did one of my grade schools.  I guess 7 year old kids in 1980 were just tougher than prisoners are in 2016.
Yeah especially when you were at school 24 hrs a day from mid May to mid September!
Yeah, 'cause it never gets hot in St Louis in early June!
There is no such thing as a truly incorrigible criminal. Only a lack of time, will, and ability to make people see the error of their ways.
There are mental illnesses that make that impossible for some people.  There are many criminals that are incapable of seeing the error of their ways.  Complete narcissists and those unable to feel any empathy spring to mind.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies