Do Prisons Without Air-Conditioning Constitute 'Cruel and Unusual Punishment'? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:30:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do Prisons Without Air-Conditioning Constitute 'Cruel and Unusual Punishment'? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does housing prisoners in jails without air-conditioning violate their constitutional rights?
Democrat: Yes

Democrat: No

Republican: Yes

Republican: No

independent/third party: Yes

independent/third party: No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Do Prisons Without Air-Conditioning Constitute 'Cruel and Unusual Punishment'?  (Read 6531 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: August 16, 2016, 05:59:55 PM »

LOL NO. If schools without air conditioning are constitutional, so are prisons without air conditioning.
indeed this.  My HS didn't have AC in one of the buildings, nor did one of my grade schools.  I guess 7 year old kids in 1980 were just tougher than prisoners are in 2016.

But prisoners can't change prisons. Plus that is kind of a weak comparison in other regards - you weren't living inside your school 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in densely packed quarters. It can get seriously hot in some prisons, which alone can introduce safety concerns. Some people close to their breaking point get violent.

I would also argue that your school should have had AC, but then again, you're older, correct? Maybe it wasn't feasible or possible then, but that doesn't make it right.

The point is that these people have committed serious offenses that have led to them losing some of the rights that people are normally accorded. It's not meant to be a walk in the park.

Just because they are prisoners doesn't mean it's OK to treat them like dirt. Time and time again, I see issues of mistreatment or other bs regarding prisoners come up and again see certain folks just shrug it off and say "well they are prisoners after all!", as if that justifies anything and everything.

This is why recidivism is such a problem in America. Many people have such a cavalier attitude towards convicts/felons, as if they are sub-human or something.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies