DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:46:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 40764 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« on: January 27, 2021, 10:42:36 AM »

Unlike Puerto Rico, you can arguably do DC through reconciliation depending on how cute you want to get with the Senate rules.

What is actually required to make both states?

I was under the impression that if voters in the district/territory voted in favor of statehood, and if a simple majority in the House and Senate agreed, that was all it took.  What else has to happen?

(Apologies if I'm showing my stupidity.)

The Puerto Rico government which is currently anti-statehood has to draft a constitution and everything.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 04:12:00 PM »

I love how forumlurker pissed of everyone, GL FL.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 10:05:58 PM »

Any actual news on the progression of this bill?

Not since Carper introduced the Senate companion to Norton's House bill, & probably not for at least another ~2 months, given that the COVID relief reconciliation package will be taking up all of the oxygen & legislative focus in the meantime.

By the time it sees the floor we will have lost the majority.

Mark my words. We will not get either statehood this year.

I could reverse jinx it a million times, offer all the bets in the world - it’s clear this isn’t a priority for leadership. If only Dem leadership was a little more ruthless - they could take a thing or two from the con artists in GOP leadership

Can I get the $50 dollars this time? Tongue
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 12:14:12 PM »

I do wonder if the VA/MD senators/congressmen demand that along with DC statehood passing a commuter tax is not allowed( and that would pretty clearly be interstate commerce and easily regulatable by congress)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies