Markets not happy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:02:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Markets not happy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Markets not happy  (Read 6385 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« on: August 05, 2011, 02:00:32 AM »

As I noted some time ago, the stock market is NOT a good investment under current financial circumstances.

I went with the Loonie (the Canadian Dollar) which has appreciated from approximately $0.78 US when Obama took office to approximately $1.02 US today.

Also recommend the Aussie (the Australian Dollar) which has appreciated from approximately $0.63 when Obama took office to approximately $1.05 US today.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 02:25:38 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2011, 02:31:03 AM by CARLHAYDEN »

As I noted some time ago, the stock market is NOT a good investment under current financial circumstances.

I went with the Loonie (the Canadian Dollar) which has appreciated from approximately $0.78 US when Obama took office to approximately $1.02 US today.

Also recommend the Aussie (the Australian Dollar) which has appreciated from approximately $0.63 when Obama took office to approximately $1.05 US today.

Be careful.  The loonie was at like $1.05 in December 2007.  I sincerely doubt it will go much higher than it is at the moment.  While Canada and Australia are doing fairly well economically... they will not perform well if everybody else starts sinking.

Right now, performance is relative.

When you look at the Euro, the American dollar looks relatively good.

However, when you compare the American dollar to the Australian and Canadian dollars, well...

Of course, the Swiss Franc has appreciated as well   (from approximately $0.86 when Obama took office to approximately $1.30 today).

To me, one of the major problems at this time with American stock valuation is that it is largely based on "technical" and emotional basis rather than fundamental analysis.

Also, I have found the Wilshire 5000 a better track than the DJI.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »

So, when did you actually put these trades on?  What day?  I can't wait to hear the answer.

Sorry, but I don't divulge specific information on my transactions.

If you look back (see you're new here) you will find that I had a long series of posts on this approximately a year ago.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 02:10:38 AM »

So, when did you actually put these trades on?  What day?  I can't wait to hear the answer.

Sorry, but I don't divulge specific information on my transactions.

If you look back (see you're new here) you will find that I had a long series of posts on this approximately a year ago.

I saw what you did there.

That's pretty much what I figured.  Well really I figured you didn't buy anything you just looked up some exchange rates to take some political shots at Obama.  You're financial recommendations would be a lot more credible if they weren't such obvious partisan contrivances.  You do realize the Canadian dollar has been appreciating since Bush took office.  Interesting that you arbitrarily picked the Obama inauguration.

Ten years ago (July of 2001), there were 1.53 Canadian dollars to a US dollar.  That is as far back as the data is available. http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/monthly-average-lookup/

On December, 2008, there were 1.22 Canadian dollars to a US dollar.

As of  July of 2011, there were approximately 0.96 Canadian dollars to a US dollar.

So under Bush, there was a reduction in the value of the US dollar relative to the Canadian dollar of approximately of approximately 20%, over a period of approximately seven  and a half years.

Under Obama, there was a reduction in the value of the US dollar relative to the Canadian collar of approximately 21% over a period of approximately two and a half years.

Oh, and before you became a poster here, I noted the upsurge in the value of commodities, especially copper and cotton.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies