Nassau v. Staten Island (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 08:20:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Nassau v. Staten Island (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nassau v. Staten Island  (Read 6186 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« on: July 03, 2006, 09:03:00 PM »

The Staten Island voters have been repelled by the Democratic policies they lived under in Brooklyn.

Nassau has a lot more limousine liberals who have enough money to escape the effects of the policies they advocate for others.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 06:49:47 AM »

The local GOP in Nassau County was absolutely horrendous, a wolf in sheep's clothing.  It was well deserving of its collapse.

I'm not sure it has that much to do with the trend toward the Democrats in national elections, though.  I think that national elections turn on different issues than local elections, and people vote differently in them.  Even I will vote Democratic in local elections.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 04:44:12 PM »

The local GOP in Nassau County was absolutely horrendous, a wolf in sheep's clothing.  It was well deserving of its collapse.

I'm not sure it has that much to do with the trend toward the Democrats in national elections, though.  I think that national elections turn on different issues than local elections, and people vote differently in them.  Even I will vote Democratic in local elections.

A local party machine is an important thing, even in a national election. It might not affect most voters, but on the margin it is capable to do things. Get out the vote and vote registration drives, for one, are much easier done if the local party is strong.  A swing of a few percentage points is all we are talking about here.

That's true.  But I think the swing has been more than a few percentage points.  I agree that the local party can make some difference, but I don't think it can explain the shift that has taken place in Nassau.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 07:59:05 PM »

I agree that the local party can make some difference, but I don't think it can explain the shift that has taken place in Nassau.

But, probaly, enough to account for much of a few percentage points that distinguish Staten Island (where the party organization is intact) and Nassau.

I'm sure it makes a difference.  But there are major demographic differences between Staten Island and Nassau that I'm sure affect it too.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 09:46:27 PM »

I agree that the local party can make some difference, but I don't think it can explain the shift that has taken place in Nassau.

But, probaly, enough to account for much of a few percentage points that distinguish Staten Island (where the party organization is intact) and Nassau.

I'm sure it makes a difference.  But there are major demographic differences between Staten Island and Nassau that I'm sure affect it too.

The demographics of Nassau and Staten Island as of 2000 closely mirror each other, actually: (round to tenths of percentages)

Staten Island: 77.6% white, 9.7% black, 12.1% hispanic
Nassau: 79.3% white, 10.1% black, 10.0% hispanic

I was  talking more about economic status.  Staten Island is largely blue collar, while Nassau leans much in the direction of being white collar.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies