Stacey Abrams: Part of "Blue Wave" is those who are UNDOCUMENTED (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 08:05:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Stacey Abrams: Part of "Blue Wave" is those who are UNDOCUMENTED (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stacey Abrams: Part of "Blue Wave" is those who are UNDOCUMENTED  (Read 3663 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: October 14, 2018, 04:49:05 PM »

tbh TCG, thinking she literally meant the votes of undocumented immigrants is reallly reaching. I think it's more likely to mean the marginalized voters in society, the ones that the census doesn't even accurately capture (transient citizens both disproportionately young and non-white). She isn't dumb, she knows undocumented immigrants legally can't vote and in Georgia, literally can't, due to photo ID laws.

But as others have said, it is an optics issue.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 07:43:27 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2018, 07:47:14 PM by Virginiá »

Cheap hysterics. You know good and well that she was talking about a bigger picture and not voting. The real problem is that Republicans are trying to stop people who aren't supporting them from voting. The actual Secretary of State is trying to rig the election for himself.

Right... which is why the Exact Match Law is currently only affecting less than 1% of Georgia voters (53,000 out of 5.6 million), will not prevent people from voting in this election cycle, and includes a "26-month period which affords any pending applicant plenty of time to participate in a federal election -- when expected turnout is highest -- so the applicant has the best opportunity to provide the necessary information and move to active status.”

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/53k-voter-registrations-on-hold-across-georgia/851445017

The problem with a lot of these laws is they aren't even needed. I think Georgia is the only state (or one of a very small list) that even does strict information matching like this. I mean, what is the point? Why did the legislature enshrine it into law after a court already struck it down? And does their desire to do this have anything to do with 80% of the registrations on hold coming from POC (who vote strongly Democratic)? Why is so important? Think about it from our perspective - conservatives are always complaining about restrictions on guns, saying it's not even appropriate to restrict a right, yet you guys are constantly piling on all these obscure and largely pointless restrictions on voting, something that may unfortunately only be a pseudo-right, but is absolutely just as important if not more than guns. There is a clear disconnect going on here that smacks of hypocrisy. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but your party is really backwards on this.

Why can't Republicans ever balance out all the restrictions they pass with some measures to help increase turnout? This happens so rarely. I mean, it would go a long way in fighting the idea that all they care about is shrinking the electorate for electoral benefits. The fact is, whether you know it or are willing to admit it, the GOP has been engaged in a campaign to shrink the electorate (putting it nicely) since even before Obama was elected, although his election really kicked that into high gear after they flipped a ton of states in 2010.

I'll tell you what though, people like me (a staunch voting rights activist) would be complaining a lot less about things like voter ID if you paired it with other things like same-day voter registration to counteract any possible hits to turnout that voter ID causes. I certainly was pleased with West Virginia paired their voter ID bill with auto voter registration, although their voter ID was less strict so that mattered a lot too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies