Should Dylann Roof receive the death penalty?/Will he? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:13:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Dylann Roof receive the death penalty?/Will he? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Dylann Roof receive the death penalty?/Will he?
Yes/Yes

Yes/No

No/Yes

No/No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 130

Author Topic: Should Dylann Roof receive the death penalty?/Will he?  (Read 7524 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 19, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »

Hell yes.

And the "i won't lose sleep over it" answer is weasal words. Just come out and say it: "I sincerely hope this mass murderer's life will be spared, and will object mightily if is not". Anything less is a desire to hold the smug 'moral high ground' while simultaneously quietly admitting some offenses deserve execution.

it must be tough to acknowledge the reality that capital defendants today are akin to this guy, not Leo Frank or the Scottsboro Boys.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 04:10:56 PM »

And the "i won't lose sleep over it" answer is weasal words. Just come out and say it: "I sincerely hope this mass murderer's life will be spared, and will object mightily if is not". Anything less is a desire to hold the smug 'moral high ground' while simultaneously quietly admitting some offenses deserve execution.

What a load of bullsh*t.

I seem to have struck a nerve......
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 04:35:01 PM »

What a load of bullsh*t.

I seem to have struck a nerve......

No, you're just spewing out untrue nonsense.

Garbage. I was a defense attorney (and capital punishment opponent) once, and you defend your client to the utmost whether they are in fact innocent (almost never the case) or guilty7 as sin of the most henious crimes. if when envisions death penalty defendants as largely innocent victims of corrupt racist police and judiciary, but soften their resistance to mere  lip service when faced with a truly horrific and monsterous hate crime like this, that's hypocritical.

opposition to the death penalty means being able to oppose its use even in the most henious crimes such as this. anyone who refuses to oppose the death penalty just as vehemently here vs. the cases of Mumia or the like is frankl. just wussing out.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 05:06:39 PM »

Yes, actually. It is a lot less meally mouthed than the "i don't support the death penalty but won't mind when this guy gets it" b.s. several posters (including you) stated previously.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 05:12:30 PM »

They'll never be happy until more blood is shed in revenge, dimplechad.  It's a sport for them.

Actually, protecting crime victims is my life's calling, so yes, i get more then a tad testy when dorm room internet warriors minimize issues and actual human suffering to caricatures. Ditto with manchildren who condense real issues about police relations with their communities into screeds about "pigs" to describe the other 98% of cops.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 05:24:05 PM »

Yes, actually. It is a lot less meally mouthed than the "i don't support the death penalty but won't mind when this guy gets it" b.s. several posters (including you) stated previously.

It's entirely possible to oppose the death penalty as an institution because of its chance to kill innocents, while not having a single qualm about - as long as it's legal - it being applied to mass murderers where there is zero doubt about their guilt.

I believe executing killers is completely morally justifiable, yet I'd be happy if it went away simply because I don't trust the states to apply it, personally.

That's at least somewhat reasonable. the rub is that prohibition means in all cases, no matter how henious and deserving, requires telling victims' families their loved one's kileer will live out his days.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 04:18:46 PM »

It's entirely possible to oppose the death penalty as an institution because of its chance to kill innocents, while not having a single qualm about - as long as it's legal - it being applied to mass murderers where there is zero doubt about their guilt.

I believe executing killers is completely morally justifiable, yet I'd be happy if it went away simply because I don't trust the states to apply it, personally.

That's at least somewhat reasonable. the rub is that prohibition means in all cases, no matter how henious and deserving, requires telling victims' families their loved one's kileer will live out his days.

I oppose the death penalty because of the act itself, not its consequence. I don't think that the State has the right to take a human being's life. That doesn't mean I actively wish criminals to continue living. I wouldn't shed a tear for Roof if he was sentenced to death, just like I wouldn't shed a tear if he was struck by lightning or hanged himself in his cell. I am completely indifferent to his fate. It's only the act of killing I oppose.

Is that clear enough for you?

Clearly pussyfooted. If you oppose the death penalty you oppose it just as strongly against the Dylann Roofs of the world as the construct of the framed victim of race and privilege, etc.

What pisses me off is some prosecutors are about to give the next year or more their professional lives to obtain justice for these victims and their families , and most of the people want to simultaneously oppose their efforts on paper out of ideological purity, even if i. reaches a successful result that they themselves at heart find acceptable.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 05:35:58 PM »

I oppose the death penalty because of the act itself, not its consequence. I don't think that the State has the right to take a human being's life. That doesn't mean I actively wish criminals to continue living. I wouldn't shed a tear for Roof if he was sentenced to death, just like I wouldn't shed a tear if he was struck by lightning or hanged himself in his cell. I am completely indifferent to his fate. It's only the act of killing I oppose.

Clearly pussyfooted. If you oppose the death penalty you oppose it just as strongly against the Dylann Roofs of the world as the construct of the framed victim of race and privilege, etc.

That's not what I said. Learn to read.

You, and numerous others in this thread, claim to adamently oppose the death penalty as barbaric, perpetuating violence, etc., but are at heart basically ok with him eventually being executed. That is not only an implicit admission that in some truly henious cases like this capital punishment is arguably appropriate , but more then a tad hypocritical.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 02:48:25 PM »

You, and numerous others in this thread, claim to adamently oppose the death penalty as barbaric, perpetuating violence, etc., but are at heart basically ok with him eventually being executed. That is not only an implicit admission that in some truly henious cases like this capital punishment is arguably appropriate , but more then a tad hypocritical.

i'm not ok with it. i don't think antonio said he was either.

"not shedding any tears" over his execution and "being ok with it" is a thin, THIN line of semantics.

as is trying to compare nonchalance with his suffering a fatal accident or act of God vs. Casual acceptance of his being executed while maintaining feel good "opposition"
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 03:10:23 PM »

He doesn't deserve to die quickly by the hands of the state.  He should rot in prison for the rest of his miserable life.  

edit: lol at conservatives thinking that death is the worst thing that can happen to people.

and lol at liberals who think that that, even when a capital defendant fights like holy hell for years to save their lives, even if it'll be spent behind bars, that the liberals secretly know what the 'real' worst punishment is..Roll Eyes

Yes, there are the 'volunteers' who waive their appeals process in favor of a ((relatively ) speedy execution, but until when and IF Roof proves to be such a statistical anomoly, let's be intellectually honest about what killers like he truly consider the ultimate penalty.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 03:28:21 PM »

He doesn't deserve to die quickly by the hands of the state.  He should rot in prison for the rest of his miserable life.  

edit: lol at conservatives thinking that death is the worst thing that can happen to people.

and lol at liberals who think that that, even when a capital defendant fights like holy hell for years to save their lives, even if it'll be spent behind bars, that the liberals secretly know what the 'real' worst punishment is..Roll Eyes

Yes, there are the 'volunteers' who waive their appeals process in favor of a ((relatively ) speedy execution, but until when and IF Roof proves to be such a statistical anomoly, let's be intellectually honest about what killers like he truly consider the ultimate penalty.

So you would rather be locked up in a small cell for 70 years than be killed? 

No, assuming he's not legally insane, or some HIGHLY unlikely demonstrable other factor, i'd much prefer his trrial and appeals process lead to his execution by the end of the decade. Not likely, that quick, though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies