Should Private School (k-12) be Abolished in the United States? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:39:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Private School (k-12) be Abolished in the United States? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Private School (k-12) be Abolished in the United States?
Yes

No

Gov't policy should make it weaker

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Should Private School (k-12) be Abolished in the United States?  (Read 7554 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: July 12, 2014, 10:29:07 AM »

No, private schools should be able to exist and have a certain degree of independence, assuming that certain state-set standards are adhered to.

Home schooling should be illegal in most cases, however.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 03:36:10 AM »

Not that I oppose private schools, but wouldn't your argument be "muh freedom"?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 10:10:08 AM »

At the core, yes, but I have practical reasons why private schools are important. It seems the opposition comes from kneejerk reactions in the name of equality instead of arguments that private education somehow doesn't provide a decent education.

Well, if equality is of primary importance to you, why should one have to show that private education isn't good? That it's good is the point, or rather that it's better than most can afford.

Again, I don't agree that that's a good reason to ban private education, but it's not that the opponents aren't arguing properly.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »

At the core, yes, but I have practical reasons why private schools are important. It seems the opposition comes from kneejerk reactions in the name of equality instead of arguments that private education somehow doesn't provide a decent education.

Well, if equality is of primary importance to you, why should one have to show that private education isn't good? That it's good is the point, or rather that it's better than most can afford.

Again, I don't agree that that's a good reason to ban private education, but it's not that the opponents aren't arguing properly.
A good solution that I think many of these people could support is government funded scholarships for lower income students. We already have them, in fact, but they could be expanded.

The proper solution would be to improve the public education system, particularly the awful, awful way it's funded in the US. That alone is the root of so many problems.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 06:33:19 AM »

Yes, because then people will start to care about improving public schools instead of just yelling "VOUCHERS!" and running away from the problem.
As opposed to yelling "MOAR FUNDING" even though the quality of education has continually declined as the Federal government has poured more money into the system?

This is an important point.

The federal government began pouring money into the system when it was decided that every American child ought to be obliged to complete high school.

But in reality, how is anyone supposed to function today without at the very minimum an American high school education? Internationally, it's really not at a high academic standard (at least without APs).

I have trouble imagining how you wouldn't be condemning everyone who doesn't finish high school to a pretty terrible economic outlook.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies