Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 03:16:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40
Author Topic: Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments  (Read 32799 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: March 13, 2024, 11:47:54 AM »

Note that the call itself can still be used as evidence and as an overt act in the RICO charge. That has not been thrown out. But the individual counts relating to the call were problematic, the judge ruled (but not in a way that can't possibly be overcome).
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #926 on: March 13, 2024, 11:50:01 AM »

Does this mean that the Democrats now have to say "Trump has been charged with 85 felonies?"

88.  Trump had three charges dropped (for now).  The other three applied to some of the other defendants.

As has been pointed out above, the DA's office can refile the charges with more detail if they choose.

Yes I was wrong when I said 6 charges were dropped against Trump. 6 overall but only 3 against Trump.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #927 on: March 13, 2024, 12:19:01 PM »

Does this mean that the Democrats now have to say "Trump has been charged with 85 felonies?"

It's means that to be completely accurate, Trump's critics (a group to which all decent Americans, not just Democrats, should belong),  would now say, "Donald J. Trump was charged with 91 felonies, 3 of which were dropped after judicial review, meaning that between multiple states and the federal government he now faces only 88 felony charges."
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #928 on: March 13, 2024, 01:13:32 PM »

Honestly this is probably some proof the judge is fair, he would've dismissed many more or done so in a way that they can't be refiled if he was a Cannon-like hack.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #929 on: March 13, 2024, 03:29:03 PM »

How in the world are we dismissing the charges related to the phone call to Raffensberger?!

Judge McAfee seems to be a very fair judge.  I doubt that he'll let the fact that someone is running against him affect his decision.  (Is that naive?  Maybe so, but he seems like a good judge.)

Great judge whom challenging is a shame.

What would happen if he loses while the trial is going on

AFAIK the case gets randomly reassigned to another judge.

Regarding the dropped charges, this is such a case of getting off on a technicality that it's ridiculous. If you can only be charged with soliciting somebody to violate their oath of office just by using weasely language and not explicitly mentioning the oath itself, then what's the point of even having a broad oath to preserve/protect/whatever the constitution? I had a feeling this whole Fani Willis case was going to collapse under sheer incompetence so I can only hope this is just a legal mechanism for the charges to be re-filed with more specificity.

Honestly this is probably some proof the judge is fair, he would've dismissed many more or done so in a way that they can't be refiled if he was a Cannon-like hack.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #930 on: March 13, 2024, 05:17:54 PM »

On a radio show, the judge said he gave himself a deadline (on Willis removal) because he knew everyone wants an answer and he believes he'll have an answer by the deadline. So I guess we're very likely finding out in the next 2 days!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #931 on: March 13, 2024, 05:34:34 PM »

the judge said he gave himself a deadline (on Willis removal) because he knew everyone wants an answer and he believes he'll have an answer by the deadline. So I guess we're very likely finding out in the next 2 days!

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #932 on: March 13, 2024, 05:48:49 PM »

Eh, state appellate court is definitely possible, but it should be pretty obviously that neither Biden or Trump are appointing him to a federal judgeship.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #933 on: March 14, 2024, 07:12:53 AM »

Judge McAfee seems to be a very fair judge.  I doubt that he'll let the fact that someone is running against him affect his decision.  (Is that naive?  Maybe so, but he seems like a good judge.)

Great judge whom challenging is a shame.

What would happen if he loses while the trial is going on

If he lost the election he of course would remain in office until the end of his term a couple months later. If the trial is still going on then- I'm honestly not sure? I can't believe I've never encountered this situation in nearly 30 years of practice! That said, I am rather certain that instead of declaring a mistrial with a replacement judge then he would be appointed to continue hearing the case. But that's just my guess.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #934 on: March 14, 2024, 02:10:05 PM »

If Willis is disqualified does it mean Kemp can give the case to some random rural county where it gets killed off?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #935 on: March 14, 2024, 02:18:07 PM »

If Willis is disqualified does it mean Kemp can give the case to some random rural county where it gets killed off?

The case goes to the Prosecuting Attorneys' Council & they pick some county DA or the State AG to transfer it to.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #936 on: March 14, 2024, 06:14:08 PM »

The case goes to the Prosecuting Attorneys' Council & they pick some county DA or the State AG to transfer it to.
Isn't it kind of mostly agreed upon the DeKalb County DA office would take it over?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #937 on: March 14, 2024, 06:56:35 PM »

Isn't it kind of mostly agreed upon the DeKalb County DA office would take it over?

It's been highly speculated that the DeKalb DA would be a logical choice, but I don't think there's anything official to suggest that it would be a sure thing.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #938 on: March 14, 2024, 10:15:29 PM »

Jim Jordan threatens Fani Willis with contempt if she doesn't comply with subpoena in federal funding probe
The House Judiciary Committee is investigating the DA's use of federal funds

House Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan has threatened Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis with contempt of Congress if Willis does not comply with a congressional subpoena as part of the committee's investigation into her office's use of federal funds.

The House Judiciary Committee in February issued a subpoena to Willis for documents related to her office's use of federal funds intended to support at-risk youth, according to a copy of the subpoena obtained by ABC News.

"While you have indicated that additional documents may be forthcoming in response to the Committee's subpoena, the Committee has yet to receive any additional responsive materials in the three weeks since your initial response," Jordan, R-Ohio, wrote in the letter, obtained by ABC News. "Accordingly, the Committee expects that you will produce all responsive documents to the subpoena in the categories prioritized by the Committee no later than 12:00 p.m. on March 28, 2024. If you fail to do so, the Committee will consider taking further action, such as the invocation of contempt of Congress proceedings."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jim-jordan-fani-willis-contempt-congress-comply-subpoena/story?id=108120431
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #939 on: March 15, 2024, 07:53:31 AM »

Fani has to either dismiss Wade or herself and the entire DA office from the case. Sounds easy.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #940 on: March 15, 2024, 08:03:17 AM »

Fani has to either dismiss Wade or herself and the entire DA office from the case. Sounds easy.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #941 on: March 15, 2024, 08:05:33 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2024, 08:38:56 AM by brucejoel99 »

Link to the order:

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #942 on: March 15, 2024, 08:06:15 AM »

So after all this, do we have any idea when is the trial is supposed to start?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #943 on: March 15, 2024, 08:10:38 AM »

Lol you thinking this will ever come to trial don’t be silly
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #944 on: March 15, 2024, 08:17:27 AM »

From 2 weeks ago:
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #945 on: March 15, 2024, 08:41:49 AM »

Probably the best case for Willis, given I'm sure there would be 'lingering' questions about her and Wade if they both continued (i mean let's be honest with some people, those questions will never be gone), but Wade being knocked off gives her an out.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #946 on: March 15, 2024, 08:43:02 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #947 on: March 15, 2024, 08:49:39 AM »

I mean, once this clown show is over with, I don't think Willis would be against a gag order. I don't blame her for wanting to set the record straight up to this point
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #948 on: March 15, 2024, 08:51:42 AM »

Probably the best case for Willis, given I'm sure there would be 'lingering' questions about her and Wade if they both continued (i mean let's be honest with some people, those questions will never be gone), but Wade being knocked off gives her an out.

Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #949 on: March 15, 2024, 08:51:52 AM »

Took long enough geez
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies