Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:21:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40
Author Topic: Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments  (Read 30864 times)
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: March 15, 2024, 08:52:18 AM »

I thought CNN's team and Kreis have the best takes which is that three things seem to be the case

1. There is a lack of linkage for the disqualification charge which was brought to be seriously entertained, namely that this whole thing has anything to do with Trump, or that Fani Willis had a Nathan Wade related motivation to pursue the Trump prosecution, or that this would skew the trial in any way.

2. Other issues have arisen, both direct - did Willis commit perjury? And indirect- were employees of the Fulton DA's office in contact with defense attorneys leaking information and gossip in an effort to manipulate them to settle personal score? After today there is no beyond reasonable doubt evidence for either, but everyone on CNN except for the 2018 D candidate for AG who dodged the question, made is abundantly clear they believed in the second of these if not the first.

3. Critically, even if there is no smoking gun and probably will not be one which comes out, there are clear signs from Judge McAfee's behavior that he has lost confidence in the state to tell the truth.

This is a real problem for him. Because if McAfee is convinced that Willis lied on the stand, it is impossible for him to preside over the rest of this process impartially if she remains on the case. On the other hand, without any clear proof other than the intuitive common sense reaction of having watched this testimony play out and not being a moron, it is a major step for McAfee to disqualify Fani Willis because he does not personally trust her to tell the truth to him, rather than on the basis of the disqualification motion that was brought or a criminal charge of perjury.

I think there is a non-zero chance we get a new judge because if McAfee cannot justify removing Willis and Fulton County, but cannot trust a word they say, he may have no choice but to remove himself.

Today was a bad day for McAfee because it became transparently obvious Bradley was lying in his current testimony, and the only reasons for him to have done so almost all point to covering for others.

So I was wrong about him recusing but I feel better about this read of the trial. The cover up was the problem.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #951 on: March 15, 2024, 08:57:38 AM »

So after all this, do we have any idea when is the trial is supposed to start?
Lol, don't expect a trial any time soon. Willis wants it to be in August but thats impossible considering the size and scope of this RICO case. And that assumes Trump's legal team doesn't delay it further

A trial in Georgia will probably happen late 2025, assuming Trump loses in November
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #952 on: March 15, 2024, 09:04:18 AM »

Even the most fierce anti-Trump Democrats have moved away from "there is no actual evidence." The new talking point is, "So Fani is sketchy and corrupt, but it doesn't affect the facts in Trump's election case."

I haven't heard any democrat say she's sketchy or corrupt or imply such.

I will go as far as to say that she displayed exceptionally poor judgement.  It's probably not a technical conflict of interest, in contrast to her donating to Burt Jones's opponent in November 2022 -- a conflict that caused her to be removed from that specific prosection and replaced with a different prosecutor.  I don't think this damages the case from a legal standpoint, but at a minimum it's terrible optics; it doesn't pass the headline test*.  At a minimum, Wade should withdraw from the case.

* - From ethics training: if you're contemplating doing something, think about how it would look in the headlines.  If you don't like the answer, don't do it.

(Additional note: over the years I've seen many workplace romances.  Almost all of them ended badly -- including every one where one of the people was in a position of some authority.)

Called it!
Redban

« Reply #953 on: March 15, 2024, 09:39:35 AM »

Clean link to the decision for anyone who wants to read it  - https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24482771-order-on-motion-to-disqualify

Page 2, basically, says that he finds an appearance of impropriety, which is why Wade or Willis have to go. Defense argued appearance of impropriety alone is enough for DQ Willis; prosecutor said actual conflict is needed. Judge still admits on record that there is a "significant appearance of impropriety that infects the current structure of the prosecution team," so the motion wasn't totally frivolous or nonsense, as certain users kept saying (e.g. "this clown show"). It's not the result defense would've wanted, but it's not like they got laughed out of the courtroom
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #954 on: March 15, 2024, 09:40:57 AM »

What a waste of time
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #955 on: March 15, 2024, 11:31:17 AM »

Seems like a nothing burger as far as Trump's case is concerned. A true bill has already been obtained.

So overall it's a nothingburger albeit a juicy one.

These aged well.

Like a fine wine.
Redban

« Reply #956 on: March 15, 2024, 12:34:15 PM »

Judge McAfee: “This finding is by no means an indication that the Court condones this tremendous lapse in judgment or the unprofessional manner of the District Attorney’s testimony during the evidentiary hearing"

But BRB - "This is a nothing burger. My comment aged like fine wine"
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #957 on: March 15, 2024, 12:36:48 PM »

Judge McAfee: “This finding is by no means an indication that the Court condones this tremendous lapse in judgment or the unprofessional manner of the District Attorney’s testimony during the evidentiary hearing"

It is a nothingburger as far as the case is concerned. Wade will be replaced on the case, and it will continue as usual.
Redban

« Reply #958 on: March 15, 2024, 12:40:28 PM »

It is a nothingburger as far as the case is concerned. Wade will be replaced on the case, and it will continue as usual.

The whole reason all the Biden supporters are clinging to this case is that they hope it dooms Trump. The judge's remarks and the decision undermine public confidence in Fani and the case overall, giving Trump an opening to survive whatever may happen (including a guilty verdict).  Fani went from being Democrats' favorite "strong female" to disgraceful Georgia DA
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #959 on: March 15, 2024, 12:44:21 PM »

I've made my peace with this & MAL aren't happening before the election and J6 only maybe will.

And nahh, sticking with nothingburger. I think the evidence plus the decision today affirms that. I'm not talking about Wade lol.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #960 on: March 15, 2024, 01:01:11 PM »

I've made my peace with this & MAL aren't happening before the election and J6 only maybe will.

And nahh, sticking with nothingburger. I think the evidence plus the decision today affirms that. I'm not talking about Wade lol.

On the contrary, the order itself suggests that the Georgia Bar investigates Willis for her unprofessional conduct and I'd expect a year or two from now she's going to be sanctioned for her behavior. I doubt she'll be disbarred for it but I'd put money on her being found in violation of the rules of professional conduct.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #961 on: March 15, 2024, 01:05:37 PM »

The whole reason all the Biden supporters are clinging to this case is that they hope it dooms Trump. The judge's remarks and the decision undermine public confidence in Fani and the case overall, giving Trump an opening to survive whatever may happen (including a guilty verdict).  Fani went from being Democrats' favorite "strong female" to disgraceful Georgia DA
Trump is free to run ads about a special prosecutor on one of his four cases being replaced, I'm sure that'll be very effective.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #962 on: March 15, 2024, 02:21:45 PM »

Redban

« Reply #963 on: March 15, 2024, 02:51:58 PM »

If Wade had not resigned, would Fani have had authority to fire him? If not, then Nathan Wade is a wimp. The judge said either him or Fani had to go. I can’t think of anything more pathetic and humiliating than this dude voluntarily disgracing himself like this. A real man would’ve stood his ground and said lady, you dragged my name through the mud, I’m not going anywhere. He should’ve refused to resign and forced Fani to face the consequences of her actions (assuming she couldn't have just fired him)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #964 on: March 15, 2024, 03:02:50 PM »

I guess he's just not as manly as you Redban. Oh well.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #965 on: March 15, 2024, 03:43:39 PM »

If Wade had not resigned, would Fani have had authority to fire him? If not, then Nathan Wade is a wimp. The judge said either him or Fani had to go. I can’t think of anything more pathetic and humiliating than this dude voluntarily disgracing himself like this. A real man would’ve stood his ground and said lady, you dragged my name through the mud, I’m not going anywhere. He should’ve refused to resign and forced Fani to face the consequences of her actions (assuming she couldn't have just fired him)

That makes zero sense. By playing ball here, he sets himself up to be portrayed as an aggrieved party to Democratic audiences, and thus retains some hope of a future in Georgia politics. Did you catch the "North Star" reference in the first sentence of his resignation letter? Willis may be under a gag order soon, but her allies are free to continue pushing the line that the allegations against her are a racially-motivated smear campaign.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #966 on: March 15, 2024, 04:27:10 PM »

Putting aside the gross misogyny in this post and the fact that Willis almost certainly could have fired Wade...even if Willis had voluntarily stepped aside, it's almost certain that whoever took over the case from her wouldn't have kept Wade on the case regardless.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #967 on: March 15, 2024, 04:42:03 PM »

Legal experts on CNN now say the trial will not happen before the election.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #968 on: March 15, 2024, 05:25:09 PM »

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #969 on: March 15, 2024, 05:26:58 PM »

I hope this case doesn't ruin his life, he's doing a damn good job, and in return he gets an electoral opponent and death threats.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #970 on: March 15, 2024, 05:34:10 PM »

Inb4 blue avatars come in and say that he was threatened by BLM and Antifa.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #971 on: March 15, 2024, 06:28:59 PM »

That was the point, and yet again they succeeded.

Legal experts on CNN now say the trial will not happen before the election.

This was kind of expected, wasn't it? Even if the trial wasn't delayed from this. It was always going to run into 2025.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #972 on: March 15, 2024, 11:36:14 PM »

Reminder: when the right accuses the left of political violence, it is often the right in a mask pointing at the mirror.

FBI: Far-Right Extremist Posed As BLM Protester, Fired On Minneapolis Police Precinct
White nationalist group posing as antifa called for violence on Twitter
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #973 on: March 16, 2024, 06:07:30 PM »

And they would. Because the usual suspects here, resent that close to 45% of the public who either support or at least enable Trump are gross scumbuckets. Sorry not sorry.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #974 on: March 18, 2024, 05:37:26 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies