Ocasio-Cortez and Sanders stumps in Kansas for progressive House candidates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:12:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ocasio-Cortez and Sanders stumps in Kansas for progressive House candidates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Ocasio-Cortez and Sanders stumps in Kansas for progressive House candidates  (Read 2555 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2018, 10:44:17 PM »

EDIT: Patrick Murphy (yes, that one) has apparently endorsed Welder, which seems very un-Murphy-like. So have Jason Kander, Jamie Raskin, Mark Pocan, Bruce Braley and former KS Dems chair Lee Kinch. Weird establishment/progressive insurgent crossover support here.

It's almost as if the narrative of fight-to-the-death conflict between the Establishment and the Progressive wing is (and has been) massively overblown.

For the record, as someone who isn't particularly fond of candidates who willingly identify themselves as Berniecrats, I have no problem with AOC and Sanders stumping nationwide for Progressive candidates. I'm skeptical it will pay off in this district but it's in their strategic interest and I applaud them for it.

This is one of the first reasonable posts on this thread. Both of these paragraphs are exactly what I’ve been thinking.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2018, 10:44:53 PM »

Roy Moore actually led in the polls before he lost. Very narrowly but Jones wasn't the favorite, just competitive. And Lamb was genuinely a strong candidate.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2018, 10:49:21 PM »

EDIT: Patrick Murphy (yes, that one) has apparently endorsed Welder, which seems very un-Murphy-like. So have Jason Kander, Jamie Raskin, Mark Pocan, Bruce Braley and former KS Dems chair Lee Kinch. Weird establishment/progressive insurgent crossover support here.

It's almost as if the narrative of fight-to-the-death conflict between the Establishment and the Progressive wing is (and has been) massively overblown.

For the record, as someone who isn't particularly fond of candidates who willingly identify themselves as Berniecrats, I have no problem with AOC and Sanders stumping nationwide for Progressive candidates. I'm skeptical it will pay off in this district but it's in their strategic interest and I applaud them for it.
You're absolutely right. It's just weird seeing Patrick Murphy, Bruce Braley and Jason Kander endorse the same candidate as actual Jill Stein supporters Cornel West, Killer Mike and Shailene Woodley.

Welder also has an awful lot of labor support. I wouldn't say he's the favorite, but he's definitely got a very good chance.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2018, 10:50:04 PM »

You're absolutely right. It's just weird seeing Patrick Murphy, Bruce Braley and Jason Kander endorse the same candidate as actual Jill Stein supporters Cornel West, Killer Mike and Shailene Woodley.

Welder also has an awful lot of labor support. I wouldn't say he's the favorite, but he's definitely got a very good chance.

I think Sharice David is the favorite
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2018, 01:25:03 AM »

*AOC landslides one of the most powerful Democrats in Washington by more than fifteen points who had literally the entire establishment behind him as well as millions more dollars*

"God, why is she bragging?!?!"

A little humility never hurt anybody. I don't remember Doug Jones or Connor Lamb bragging after their wins.
Doug Jones barely beat an openly racist pedophile who was all but disavowed from his national party. Conor Lamb barely beat a complete and utter idiot who wanted to engage in class warfare against most of his potential constituents. Neither of those races were resounding victories, neither of them merited bravado, both Lamb and Jones were favored immediately before the election while AOC was thought to have little chance. Neither of their victories are even remotely on the scale of what AOC did.

Dude, these people won in places where Democrats had no business winning. The fact that their opponents had flaws doesn't diminish their feats and saying that Ocasio's win was more difficult is absurd. At the end of the day she won a primary where both candidates were Democrats, and was a pretty civil affair.

Ocasio-Cortez seems poised to become the new Pete Stark when it comes to character: a liberal champion, but also a very disagreeable person.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2018, 10:33:00 AM »

I think Sharice David is the favorite

I don't know if she's the clear-cut favorite. Each candidate in the big three has a strength. Niermann is probably strongest in Johnson County, especially among moderate suburbanites and education voters. His ground operation is impressive from what I've heard.

Welder does have lots of union support and national attention. I think the labor backing helps him bigtime in Wyandotte County, but I really can't see him doing well in Johnson County.

Davids has a lot of interesting factors going for her. Tons of volunteers and a very energetic campaign. She's not that liberal though, which is good for the general. I think she does well in both major counties in the district, especially among female voters.

Any of these three can realistically win, and with so many Democrats, we can't totally rule out a Jay Sidie name-recognition surprise, which would doom Democratic prospects here.

Also, The reason Patrick Murphy endorsed Brent Welder is because Welder used to work for him in DC.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2018, 10:41:59 AM »

Roy Moore actually led in the polls before he lost. Very narrowly but Jones wasn't the favorite, just competitive. And Lamb was genuinely a strong candidate.

I had Doug Jones and Rick Saccone as slight favorites the day before each of their elections.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies