Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:55:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 58
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath)  (Read 91930 times)
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: January 18, 2020, 07:29:36 PM »

Who needs to waste money on television advertising (probably at inflated rates on account of Steyer's massive buys) when you're counting on Culinary Union muscle to beat down the pro-M4A candidates who stand in your way?
They are not backing Biden though? Maybe individual members lean towards him, but it isn't like they are putting their man (or woman may be more appropriate since the union is pretty female-dominated) power behind a single candidate.

That hasn't been decided yet. UNITE HERE will decide whether to endorse anyone in about a week and if they don't CWU (which is the NV branch of UNITE HERE with about 20% of the national membership) can decide to endorse someone.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #476 on: January 18, 2020, 07:45:38 PM »

Trump doesn't need to worry. With Biden as the frontrunner, he'll easily win a second term. Trump will win Wisconsin against Biden, I have no doubts about it. It's unfortunate that the race seems to be shaping up to be Biden's to lose, despite him doing nothing to impress voters in this entire campaign. It's the lamest coronation ever. I truly hope this fool doesn't win the primary.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #477 on: January 18, 2020, 09:01:47 PM »

Trump doesn't need to worry. With Biden as the frontrunner, he'll easily win a second term. Trump will win Wisconsin against Biden, I have no doubts about it. It's unfortunate that the race seems to be shaping up to be Biden's to lose, despite him doing nothing to impress voters in this entire campaign. It's the lamest coronation ever. I truly hope this fool doesn't win the primary.
It’s laughable the Sanders is any better than Biden.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #478 on: January 18, 2020, 10:33:34 PM »

Captain Sullenberger has an op-ed in the NYT today defending Biden on the subject of his speech impediment.

http://archive.is/4D1SV

That would be the speech impediment that the maroon and green avatars on here (notably, not so much the blue avatars) gleefully mocked him for earlier this year, declaring that he was retarded, his brain was melting, it was time for him to "be put down", etc.

A speech disorder is a lot easier to treat than a character defect. You become a true leader, not because of how you speak, but because of what you have to say — and the challenges you have overcome to help others.

Powerful words.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #479 on: January 18, 2020, 11:20:30 PM »

Captain Sullenberger has an op-ed in the NYT today defending Biden on the subject of his speech impediment.

That would be the speech impediment that the maroon and green avatars on here (notably, not so much the blue avatars) gleefully mocked him for earlier this year, declaring that he was retarded, his brain was melting, it was time for him to "be put down", etc.

A speech disorder is a lot easier to treat than a character defect. You become a true leader, not because of how you speak, but because of what you have to say — and the challenges you have overcome to help others.

Powerful words.
In all fairness, the quality of Biden's speeches and other verbal presentations has notably decreased.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #480 on: January 18, 2020, 11:23:47 PM »

Biden starts his attacks on Bernie. It was only a matter of time, and to be honest I'm surprised it took this long.
Defending himself from Bernie's misinformation campaign is an attack on Bernie? K.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #481 on: January 18, 2020, 11:28:57 PM »

Powerful words.
In all fairness, the quality of Biden's speeches and other verbal presentations has notably decreased.

Yeah I agree.  I wonder how much of that has to do with all the restrictions he's under now that he's running for president.  Often when I watch him speak or read his words, it feels like his advisors told him a bunch of things that he can't say, and he's constantly stopping himself just in the nick of time.  It's hard enough focusing on speaking clearly without also having all that going through your head.

Just a conjecture, of course.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #482 on: January 18, 2020, 11:37:30 PM »

Powerful words.

Yeah I agree.  I wonder how much of that has to do with all the restrictions he's under now that he's running for president.  Often when I watch him speak or read his words, it feels like his advisors told him a bunch of things that he can't say, and he's constantly stopping himself just in the nick of time.  It's hard enough focusing on speaking clearly without also having all that going through your head.

I hope this is true. That would explain his near-constant use of the word "infact" to essentially stall while trying to think of what to say. And for what it is worth, Biden has always been better and still is very good with more intimate venues-- interviews, small town halls and the like. Ultimately, I just hope his advisors let him be in his element more, because, even despite his difficulties in communicating, he can come across as authentic, which additionally would play on a stage with Trump IMO. IDK, just some thoughts.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #483 on: January 18, 2020, 11:51:46 PM »

Powerful words.

I hope this is true. That would explain his near-constant use of the word "infact" to essentially stall while trying to think of what to say. And for what it is worth, Biden has always been better and still is very good with more intimate venues-- interviews, small town halls and the like. Ultimately, I just hope his advisors let him be in his element more, because, even despite his difficulties in communicating, he can come across as authentic, which additionally would play on a stage with Trump IMO. IDK, just some thoughts.

So random personal fact, I actually coach public speaking, and these are the sorts of things I pick up on immediately.

Every politician has "stall phrases" that they slip in when they're trying to put their thoughts together.
 And when you watch these politicians speak often enough, it doesn't take long to pick them out.  Just like how Elizabeth Warren always starts her tougher answers with a long "So......" and if she still wants to stall, "let's talk about [subject]"

At the start of his campaign, and in his first few debates, Biden's stall phrase was "the fact of the matter is."  Then in his third debate, I want to say, whichever one had people saying he looked a lot sharper, I noticed that he'd switched it to just "in fact" which is about two seconds faster.  And it was immediately obvious that his aides had picked up on this and told him "if you're going to stall, just say 'in fact', don't say 'the fact of the matter is' because you just sound goofy saying it over and over and over"

Stutterers, of course, are notorious for using a variety of stall phrases, because they have to not only form the words in their head before they say them, but consciously use a variety of vocal tricks to make sure the words come out properly.

If you go watch Biden deliver prepared remarks, or do his stump speech, he's far more lucid and confident.  Here's the most recent YouTube video I could find:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnYjK_djFfw
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #484 on: January 19, 2020, 12:05:11 AM »

Powerful words.

So random personal fact, I actually coach public speaking, and these are the sorts of things I pick up on immediately.

Every politician has "stall phrases" that they slip in when they're trying to put their thoughts together.
 And when you watch these politicians speak often enough, it doesn't take long to pick them out.  Just like how Elizabeth Warren always starts her tougher answers with a long "So......" and if she still wants to stall, "let's talk about [subject]"

At the start of his campaign, and in his first few debates, Biden's stall phrase was "the fact of the matter is."  Then in his third debate, I want to say, whichever one had people saying he looked a lot sharper, I noticed that he'd switched it to just "in fact" which is about two seconds faster.  And it was immediately obvious that his aides had picked up on this and told him "if you're going to stall, just say 'in fact', don't say 'the fact of the matter is' because you just sound goofy saying it over and over and over"

Stutterers, of course, are notorious for using a variety of stall phrases, because they have to not only form the words in their head before they say them, but consciously use a variety of vocal tricks to make sure the words come out properly.

If you go watch Biden deliver prepared remarks, or do his stump speech, he's far more lucid and confident.  Here's the most recent YouTube video I could find:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnYjK_djFfw
Wow, I am actually stricken by the contrast between Biden on the debate stage and him at this particular rally. Every bit as lucid as any of the other candidates. Maybe it was just a good day for him, who knows. Gives me some hope he can overcome some of his issues debating in time for Trump.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #485 on: January 19, 2020, 12:11:30 AM »

Wow, I am actually stricken by the contrast between Biden on the debate stage and him at this particular rally. Every bit as lucid as any of the other candidates. Maybe it was just a good day for him, who knows. Gives me some hope he can overcome some of his issues debating in time for Trump.

No, every Biden event is like this.  I've watched a bunch of them.  Not by choice so much as because people keep taking quotes from his events out of context, and I have to go dig up the live stream replay to find what was actually said.  Remember when Biden was accused of forgetting when MLK died and saying no women protested the Vietnam War?  Out-of-context quotes from these events.

If you skip ahead to 55:30, that's when the questions start, and you can see that it's not just when he's reciting his stump speech (which, like Trump in 2016, is more of a grab-bag of ever-changing monologues than a single speech like Warren/Sanders) that he's lucid.  He can also think on his feet and answer questions.  And his answers are exceptionally detailed and intelligent, far more so than you could ever imagine from any of the other candidates except for perhaps Buttigieg.

This is part of why the campaign has been so frustrating for me.  The Biden that people see in the media and on stage is pretty divorced from the real Joe.  Those debate stages, with thirty-second snippets where you constantly have to speak extemporaneously and Biden's #1 goal is to avoid making any slip-ups, are the worst possible venue for him.  But that's all most people see.  His interviews on TV have been fantastic but haven't received much coverage.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #486 on: January 19, 2020, 12:16:46 AM »

No, every Biden event is like this.  I've watched a bunch of them.  Not by choice so much as because people keep taking quotes from his events out of context, and I have to go dig up the live stream replay to find what was actually said.  Remember when Biden was accused of forgetting when MLK died and saying no women protested the Vietnam War?  Out-of-context quotes from these events.

If you skip ahead to 55:30, that's when the questions start, and you can see that it's not just when he's reciting his stump speech (which, like Trump in 2016, is more of a grab-bag of ever-changing monologues than a single speech like Warren/Sanders) that he's lucid.  He can also think on his feet and answer questions.  And his answers are exceptionally detailed and intelligent, far more so than you could ever imagine from any of the other candidates except for perhaps Buttigieg.

This is part of why the campaign has been so frustrating for me.  The Biden that people see in the media and on stage is pretty divorced from the real Joe.  Those debate stages, with thirty-second snippets where you constantly have to speak extemporaneously and Biden's #1 goal is to avoid making any slip-ups, are the worst possible venue for him.  But that's all most people see.  His interviews on TV have been fantastic but haven't received much coverage.
I would be interested to see how he did in the 2008 primary debates-- similar circumstances to today in terms of the amount of people on the stage, though of course, he was not a frontrunner.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #487 on: January 19, 2020, 12:27:24 AM »

I would be interested to see how he did in the 2008 primary debates-- similar circumstances to today in terms of the amount of people on the stage, though of course, he was not a frontrunner.

He's more lucid in those, although still very stuttery, but those debates were also very different.  They were a lot more relaxed and respectful, and Biden was polling at 1% so he was in a much freer position.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #488 on: January 19, 2020, 12:46:13 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2020, 12:51:33 AM by CEO of Bernie Sanders »

Biden starts his attacks on Bernie. It was only a matter of time, and to be honest I'm surprised it took this long.
Defending himself from Bernie's misinformation campaign is an attack on Bernie? K.

Ironic how you're the one condescending to me when you take my post completely out of context. I actually watched Biden's video. He clearly wasn't serious. I believed him because a mocking explanation is very much in character for him. The video wasn't altered, but it was clearly taken out of context. He fought to keep Social Security intact for 8 years, and I trust he'll do it again for another 4 if he gets elected.

If you're getting offended over me saying "Biden's attacking Bernie and I'm surprised it took him this long to do it," then you're as thin-skinned as the candidate support.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #489 on: January 19, 2020, 12:55:54 AM »

Ironic how you're the one condescending to me when you take my post completely out of context. I actually watched Biden's video. He clearly wasn't serious. I believed him because a mocking explanation is very much in character for him. The video wasn't altered, but it was clearly taken out of context. He fought to keep Social Security intact for 8 years, and I trust he'll do it again for another 4 if he gets elected.

If you're getting offended over me saying "Biden's attacking Bernie and I'm surprised it took him this long to do it," then you're as thin-skinned as the candidate support.
Not offended at all. Glad we both agree that Biden wasn’t serious.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #490 on: January 19, 2020, 01:00:15 AM »

Glad we're on the same page. If he wanted to cut Social Security, he would have pushed harder for chained CPI in 2010.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #491 on: January 19, 2020, 02:46:54 AM »

lol at RFKFan stanning Biden just because he now is the "black supporters' candidate"

shouldn't you have stuck with Warren on principle? Come on!
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #492 on: January 19, 2020, 01:11:28 PM »

lol at RFKFan stanning Biden just because he now is the "black supporters' candidate"

shouldn't you have stuck with Warren on principle? Come on!
I always said I would stop dragging Biden if it was apparent he was going to be the nominee. My vote is not based on emotion. Sanders will be a disaster as the nominee and my vote is strategic. If Warren can snuff him out in Iowa and New Hampshire, then my vote will go to her. 31 contests will occur before I vote anyway.

You’ll be alright.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #493 on: January 20, 2020, 08:20:24 AM »

Warren, Sanders and Klobuchar are too busy with the impeachment trial, and Biden has the stage all to himself next Tuesday, and wont have to testify on behalf of his son, due to Dems controlling the House. Serve the GOP right, due to fact when Speaker Ryan was in charge,  they were going after Hilary on Benghazi
Cinemark

« Reply #494 on: January 20, 2020, 12:50:22 PM »

This was probably the best moment in the NYT's endorsement episode last night. Biden seems like a very likable guy.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #495 on: January 20, 2020, 02:27:44 PM »

This was probably the best moment in the NYT's endorsement episode last night. Biden seems like a very likable guy.
Wow, obviously it is anecdotal, but I do not think I could think of a better representation of Joe Biden's campaign up to now than this clip and what happened after. (Black female security guard is very warm with Joe, whom she likely has incredibly fond memories of as Obama's funny sidekick, right before he gets grilled by a bunch of white liberals with an inflated sense of self-importance).
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #496 on: January 20, 2020, 04:31:01 PM »

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #497 on: January 20, 2020, 04:43:26 PM »

Paul Krugman throwing rocks at the beehive today on Twitter, and the Bernie Bros are a-buzzin
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #498 on: January 20, 2020, 07:39:38 PM »

Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #499 on: January 20, 2020, 07:54:47 PM »

Who wants to bet this is out of context?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies