Dirty South September Initiatives Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:45:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Dirty South September Initiatives Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dirty South September Initiatives Thread  (Read 5286 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 26, 2009, 02:14:53 PM »

No Means No Amendment
The following shall be added to Article II of the Southeast Constitution:

3) Any initiative that fails in an Initiative election shall not be allowed on the ballot again without significant revision for the next two Initiative elections. In the event that there is contention as to whether revisions are significant or there is believed to be a pressing need for an exception, citizens may make an appeal to the Magistrate to decide whether or not to let a failed initiative on the ballot.

I think that is a good idea Dibble. Perhaps simply say it may not be brought to a vote in an initiative or emergency initiative election for two months. That way you prevent repeated use of emergency initiatives to get it through the "next two Initiative elections" problem.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 07:00:16 PM »

I suggest we look at reactivation of the Southeast Deficit Package Initiative:
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Southeast_Deficit_Package_Initiative

End to Fractional Reserve Banking Act
All banks operating in the Dirty South shall be required to have 100% reserves for all demand deposits

I would suggest changing this to something along the lines of banks shall have 1 year (maybe longer) to come into compliance. Maybe something else like they would have 6 months to be at least 50%. At a minimum specify a time line for them to come into compliance.
If this initiative passed, even with Brandon's amendment, I strongly urge the GM to find multiple persons outside the forum with some familiarity through employment, education, etc with banking, say at least 3, and make sure all are self-professed conservatives to avoid inevitable complaints of liberal bias. Then ask them what the likely outcome of such a law being passed in real life would be, then impose their best case (or rather "least worse") scenario on the Dirty South economy.
Even then with unemployment topping 30% and the regional economy imploding harder than a mine collapse, no one down there would likely change policies one whit.

I'm at college so three conservative economics professors wouldn't be hard to come by.

As GM and through my (limited, yet present) knowledge of economics, I can project that such a law would have devastating effects on the regions economy, drastically reducing the supply of money at a rate many times greater than a simple addition equation.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 11:21:28 PM »

I suggest we look at reactivation of the Southeast Deficit Package Initiative:
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Southeast_Deficit_Package_Initiative

End to Fractional Reserve Banking Act
All banks operating in the Dirty South shall be required to have 100% reserves for all demand deposits

I would suggest changing this to something along the lines of banks shall have 1 year (maybe longer) to come into compliance. Maybe something else like they would have 6 months to be at least 50%. At a minimum specify a time line for them to come into compliance.
If this initiative passed, even with Brandon's amendment, I strongly urge the GM to find multiple persons outside the forum with some familiarity through employment, education, etc with banking, say at least 3, and make sure all are self-professed conservatives to avoid inevitable complaints of liberal bias. Then ask them what the likely outcome of such a law being passed in real life would be, then impose their best case (or rather "least worse") scenario on the Dirty South economy.
Even then with unemployment topping 30% and the regional economy imploding harder than a mine collapse, no one down there would likely change policies one whit.

I'm at college so three conservative economics professors wouldn't be hard to come by.

As GM and through my (limited, yet present) knowledge of economics, I can project that such a law would have devastating effects on the regions economy, drastically reducing the supply of money at a rate many times greater than a simple addition equation.

Why don't you ask three libertarian economists what the effect would be so your report could be truly unbiased.

How exactly are your actions libertarian? You are placing stringent government restrictions and regulations on free-enterprise institutions. If anything libertarian professors would back me up more than their colleagues.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 02:03:55 AM »

Just for the record, my knowledge of economics is sufficient to determine the impact that such a policy would have.

Perhaps reserve banking is a bad system, but it adds an incredible amount of capital into the system and attempts to end it wholesale in one fell swoop would cause incredible damage to the economy of the region. You've been given my preliminary analysis. The Southeast is free to vote as it wishes however.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:09:47 PM »

*shouts from the galleries*

What will it cost?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies