2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:21:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 34
Author Topic: 2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread  (Read 78745 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2014, 09:34:31 PM »

Breaking News:
John Edwards ends bid for President.

The former Senator and 2004 Candidate ended his campaign for President. Edwards released a statement, but did not endorse.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »

Reminder: round ends tonight a at 11:59 pm
The round will be up either tonight or in am, I'm flying back so maybe a bit delayed.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2014, 04:17:34 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2014, 06:39:01 PM by NHI »

Round 2: September 7-14, 2007

The race for President is underway. Rudy Giuliani continues to fends off his Republican challenges, by focusing on what many are considering a successful and aggressive Rose Garden Strategy. He has largely chosen to ignore his Republican rivals, though they certainly are not ignoring him. The President has the support of former President Bush, Senator John McCain and Senator George Allen (a great endorsement, seen as shoring up Giuliani’s conservative planks.) While no announcement has been made, Allen is widely considered to be in the running for the VP spot on the ticket.

At the moment Mark Sanford appears to be Giuliani’s strongest competitor , already airing radio and TV ads across the early primary states. Sanford is succeeding in presenting himself not merely as a conservative opposed to Giuliani, but a conservative problem solver, highlighting his successful record as Governor.

On the Democratic side John Edwards ended his bid for the nomination, shaking up the race as September moves along. Already, Blanche Lincoln is looking more and more sturdy as a frontrunner, moving into second place in the latest poll with Hillary Clinton still narrowly in the lead.

Other Democrats to watch include Senator Evan Bayh and Governor Howard Dean, both whom are making strong pushes in the early states of New Hampshire and Iowa respectively, while John Kerry and Mary Landrieu, while accomplished have yet to distinguish themselves.  Tom Vilsack continues to holds a lead in the Iowa Caucuses and analysts believe there that by defining himself through debates and then with a win in Iowa his campaign may be cleared for take off.

The candidates will have their chance to face off in their debate in New Hampshire, coming up on September 10th.

The Independent candidates continue their campaigns, while much of it now is focused on building campaign infrastructure and raising awareness. So far the most successful has been Independent Senator and 2004 Libertarian Candidate Jesse Ventura, who already with high name ID is coming across very formidably. Ralph Nader, the likely Green Party candidate is also appearing to give a strong run, following in the footsteps of Dennis Kucinch four years earlier.

Iowa Caucuses Poll: September 2007 (Democrats)
Tom Vilsack: 18%
Hillary Clinton: 16%
Blanche Lincoln: 16%
Howard Dean: 16%
Evan Bayh: 13%
Mary Landrieu: 6%
John Kerry: 5%
Undecided: 10%

Iowa Caucuses Poll: September 2007 (Republicans)
Rudy Giuliani: 53%
Mark Sanford: 20%
Newt Gingrich: 13%
Ron Paul: 4%

New Hampshire Primary Poll: September 2007 (Democrats)
Hillary Clinton: 18%
Blanche Lincoln: 14%
John Kerry: 13%
Howard Dean: 12%
Evan Bayh: 12%
Mary Landrieu: 9%
Tom Vilsack: 7%
Undecided: 17%

New Hampshire Primary Poll: September 2007 (Republicans)
Rudy Giuliani: 59%
Mark Sanford: 14%
Ron Paul: 8%
Newt Gingrich: 5%
Undecided: 14%

Democratic Nomination: Poll September 2007
Hillary Clinton: 21%
Blanche Lincoln: 18%
Evan Bayh: 11%
John Kerry: 11%
Howard Dean: 11%
Tom Vilsack: 9%
Mary Lanrdieu: 9%

Republican Nomination: Poll (September 2007)
Rudy Giuliani: 59%
Mark Sanford: 17%
Newt Gingrich: 8%
Ron Paul: 4%
Undecided: 12%

Presidential Primary Debate:
University of New Hampshire in Durham, NH
Moderated by: Brian Williams and Tim Russert

To Senator Clinton: Senator Clinton, the Democrats are ready to win after nearly eight years out of the White House. They are looking for a candidate who excites them and will champion their causes. Some Democrats have privately expressed doubts about your ability to not only unite the party, but to defeat President Giuliani in what is expected to be a long and most likely narrow contest. Are you the candidate the Democrats are looking for?

To Governor Vilsack: Governor, do you believe the surge is working and would it continue under your administration?

To Senator Lincoln: Senator, you were on the ballot as the Vice Presidential candidate four years ago with Senator Joe Biden and the ticket didn't prevail, what makes you the right candidate this time, despite losing four years ago?

To Senator Kerry: Senator Kerry, you've criticized the President's tax plan, saying it favors the top one percent in this country, how do you propose changing the current system?

To Senator Landrieu: Senator, What separates you from all the other candidates on the stage tonight?

To Senator Bayh: Senator Bayh, President Giuliani sits on a fifty-three percent approval rating, despite a primary challenge, and I'm aware it's early, but how do you defeat him?

Governor Dean: Governor Dean, only you Senator Bayh and Governor Vilsack have previous executive experience, serving as your respective states' governors. Does that make a difference, and if so are you the candidate best fit to lead the party and the nation if you are successful?

To All: What will you do on day one as President? What is your top priority?

To Senator Clinton, Senator Lincoln and Senator Landrieu: This is a rather historic site, to have three women competing for a presidential nomination, it sort of goes without saying, but is America ready to elect a woman President?

To All: How do we solve the crisis on the border? What are the solutions to America's illegal immigration problem?

To All: Right, here right now, regardless of you wins the nomination, are you committed to supporting the eventual nominee, and rule out either not supporting the candidate or running as a third party?

A Republican one will be held if all candidates are agreeable?

This Round will close on Tuesday at 11:59 pm.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »

To Senator Clinton: Senator Clinton, the Democrats are ready to win after nearly eight years out of the White House. They are looking for a candidate who excites them and will champion their causes. Some Democrats have privately expressed doubts about your ability to not only unite the party, but to defeat President Giuliani in what is expected to be a long and most likely narrow contest. Are you the candidate the Democrats are looking for?

To Governor Vislack: Governor, do you believe the surge is working and would it continue under your administration?

To Senator Lincoln: Senator, you were on the ballot as the Vice Presidential candidate four years ago with Senator Joe Biden and the ticket didn't prevail, what makes you the right candidate this time, despite losing four years ago?

To Senator Kerry: Senator Kerry, you've criticized the President's tax plan, saying it favors the top one percent in this country, how do you propose changing the current system?

To Senator Landrieu: Senator, What separates you from all the other candidates on the stage tonight?

To Senator Bayh: Senator Bayh, President Giuliani sits on a fifty-three percent approval rating, despite a primary challenge, and I'm aware it's early, but how do you defeat him?

Governor Dean: Governor Dean, only you Senator Bayh and Governor Harkin have previous executive experience, serving as your respective states' governors. Does that make a difference, and if so are you the candidate best fit to lead the party and the nation if you are successful?

To Senator Clinton, Senator Lincoln and Senator Landrieu: This is a rather historic site, to have three women competing for a presidential nomination, it sort of goes without saying, but is America ready to elect a woman President?

To All: How do we solve the crisis on the border? What are the solutions to America's illegal immigration problem?

To All: Right, here right now, regardless of you wins the nomination, are you committed to supporting the eventual nominee, and rule out either not supporting the candidate or running as a third party?

President Giuliani would not participate.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2014, 05:43:45 PM »

To Governor Vislack: Governor, do you believe the surge is working and would it continue under your administration?

Governor Dean: Governor Dean, only you Senator Bayh and Governor Harkin have previous executive experience, serving as your respective states' governors. Does that make a difference, and if so are you the candidate best fit to lead the party and the nation if you are successful?

President Giuliani would not participate.
Not a problem. Wanted to put it out there. I can still go ahead with a GOP forum with the other candidate, if you are all agreeable?
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »

Mark Sanford Press Release

I will participate in as many televised debates as possible. It's important for primary voters to know who their candidates are. I'm calling on President Giuliani to likewise participate in the debates with the other Republicans, as it is essential for him to be part of the dialogue. If the President has built up a solid record, why is he afraid to show up with the rest of us and make his case to the American people?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2014, 06:19:42 PM »

Hillary Clinton Debate Answers

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Given I was leading in delegates when I left the race in 2004, I think we already know that I can unite the Democratic Party. The reality is though that whoever wins our nomination will have a united party behind us. As for defeating President Giuliani, I don't think we should assume he will win re-nomination until it's official, as both Governor Sanford and Speaker Gingrich could be formidable in the primaries, especially in South Carolina and other Southern States.

On my first day as President, I will issue an Executive Order to close Guantanamo Bay Prison and Naval Base, and return the land to the Cubans, and to set up a blue-ribbon panel made up leaders in the health-care industry to pursue Health Care reform.

I think America is ready for a female President, a Hispanic President, an African American President, any minority President. In addition to America's willingness to support a non-WASP candidate, I'm equally proud that we have three capable women running for President this year, in myself, Senator Lincoln and Senator Landrieu. Any one of us would be excellent choices for being the first female President.

We need to be willing to accept more legal immigrants from our southern border, and we need to be willing to discuss a reasonable visa program for immigrants already here, who have committed no crimes here, and are not wanted in their home countries. We also need to increase the number of Border Patrol agents on both our Southern and Northern borders, especially on the Arizona/New Mexico border with Mexico.

While Supporting the nominee depends on who the nominee actually ends up being, I can't think of any reason why I would run as an Independent or a Third Party candidate. I've never felt the need to do so before, and I don't believe the Democratic Party has moved that far away from my viewpoints.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2014, 06:21:11 PM »

Also, NHI, you've constantly been misspelling Vilsack's name so far Tongue
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #133 on: September 05, 2014, 06:39:24 PM »

Also, NHI, you've constantly been misspelling Vilsack's name so far Tongue
I'm sorry. No harm meant, darn spell check!
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #134 on: September 05, 2014, 07:03:43 PM »

White House Press Secretary Chris Wallace

"One last thing before we wrap up today's press briefing and head to lunch - Governor Mark Sanford has challenged President Giuliani to appear on a televised debate between the Republican candidates for President. The President will not take part in such a debate in the near future, for a variety of reasons. The largest and most important of which is that there's just no room in his schedule to do such an event. He maintains a very busy and active schedule of appearances and meetings that cannot be put off for a debate with former Speaker Gingrich and Governor Sanford. This week, specifically, involves numerous events relating to the anniversary of the September 11th attacks - which the President feels are much more important than a debate.

Secondly, the President feels that his positions on issues are widely known to the public and the media and his record speaks for itself - high job growth, low high school drop out rates, successes over seas, the list goes on and on. Further, the President is always available to the media for One-on-One interviews where these questions can be asked. Just last week Morley Safer while he was in Iowa.

Thirdly, there is no precedent for Presidents to take part in primary debates. President George H.W. Bush didn't when Pat Buchanan rose up on the right, nor did President Jimmy Carter when Senator Kennedy rose up on the left, nor did President Johnson when his slew of challengers arose. The President doesn't feel that it is befitting of his office to participate in a primary debate.

That's all folks."

BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #135 on: September 05, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »

Newt Gingrich Press Statement

I relish the opportunity to participate in debate. Debates are a great way to put forward your ideas to the people. They give every voter an opportunity to look at what each candidate stands for and help them decide who they should vote for. They are a great function of democracy and I will be very disappointed if President Guiliani decides to run and hide rather than present his ideas in an open forum. Nonetheless, I will be looking forward to debating Governor Sanford and any other candidates if given the chance.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2014, 07:24:13 PM »

Hillary Clinton Surrogate Schedule;

Congressman John Lewis

September 7, 2007

Meet Voters in Lake City, Georgia

Meet Voters in Lovejoy, Georgia

Meet Voters in Pine Lake, Georgia

Meet Voters in Chamblee, Georgia

September 8, 2007

Meet Voters in Lyman, South Carolina

Meet Voters in Woodruff, South Carolina

Meet Voters in Greer, South Carolina

Meet Voters in Simpsonville, South Carolina

September 9, 2007

Meet Voters in Isle of Palms, South Carolina

Meet Voters in Briarcliffe Acres, South Carolina

Meet Voters in St. Stephen, South Carolina

September 10, 2007

Meet Voters in Meraux, Louisiana

Meet Voters in Chalmette, Louisiana

Meet Voters in Grand Isle, Louisiana

Congressman Dick Gephardt

September 9, 2007

Meet Voters in Decorah, Iowa

Meet Voters in Ridgeway, Iowa

Meet Voters in Fort Atkinson, Iowa

September 10, 2007

Meet Voters in Calmar, Iowa

Meet Voters in Peosta, Iowa

Wine sale ($50 a bottle) and fundraiser (for Clinton 08, Franken 08, Warner 08, Berkowitz 08, and Boswell 08) at Stone Cliff Winery, Durango, Iowa

September 12, 2007

Meet Voters in Blakesburg, Iowa

Meet Voters, Ottumwa City Hall, Ottumwa, Iowa.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2014, 08:30:54 PM »

OOC: Edwards was leading in South Carolina; may we get a new poll of that primary?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2014, 08:47:58 PM »

Rudy Giuliani Campaign Schedule for Sept. 7th-14th, 2007

President Giuliani's 2008 Campaign Staff
Honorary Co-Chairmen: Dick Cheney and Tim Pawlenty
Campaign Manager: Mary Matalin
Chief of Staff: Joe Allbaugh
Press Secretary: Dana Perino
Finance Director: Fred Malek
Chief Pollsters: Neil Newhouse and Bill McInturff
Co-Directors of the Vice Presidential Search Committee: Kay Hutchison, Beth Myers, and Matt Rhodes

September 7th, 2007; New York
-- Meet-and-Greet at the Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY with Governor Trump
-- Visit the New York State Museum with Governor Trump
-- Visit the Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, NY with Governor Trump
-- Appearance on WNYT - Albany, NY
-- Fly to Washington D.C.

September 8th, 2007; Washington
-- Presidential Duties
-- Meeting with senior campaign staff

September 9th, 2007; Washington
-- Presidential Duties
-- Meeting with Cabinet Secretaries
-- Press Conference in the Rose Garden with Sec. Johnson, Sec. Card, and Fmr. Gov. Bill Weld

Excerpt from the Rose Garden Press Conference: “I have been served, very faithfully, by one of the best Cabinets of modern times. However, people come and go and their goals and ideals change. Secretary Johnson has made it known to me and my staff that his main priorities are located elsewhere at this time. He has given me his resignation and I have accepted it. To replace Gary at the Commerce Department, I will be appointing Secretary Card as the 36th Secretary of Commerce. *Claps* This, however, creates a vacancy at the Department of Housing and Urban Development. For this post, I will be nominating former Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld. *Claps*”

September 10th, 2007; Virginia
-- Tour the Pentagon with Sec. Rice
-- Attend a memorial service for those killed at the Pentagon on 9/11/01
-- Fly to New York

September 11th, 2007; New York
-- Visit Ground Zero with Mayor Bloomberg, Mrs. Giuliani, Vice President Hutchison, Fmr. President W. Bush, Fmr. President Clinton, Fmr. President H.W. Bush, Fmr. President Carter, and Fmr. First Lady Ford
-- Attend Memorial Service at St. Patrick’s Cathedral
-- Meet with the NYPD, NYFD, and ambulance drivers
-- Attend Memorial Service at Congregation Kehilath Jeshurun
-- Meet with the family and survivors of 9/11
-- Drive to Pennsylvania

September 12th, 2007; Pennsylvania
-- Visit the crash site of Flight 93 in Stonycreek Township, PA with Sen. Ridge
--  Visit the Flight 93 National Memorial with First Lady Giuliani
-- Fly to South Carolina

September 13th, 2007; South Carolina
-- Speech at The Citadel
-- Tour The Citadel with Sen. McCain and Sen. Allen
-- Meet-and-Greet at Blackbaud Stadium in Charleston, SC with Sen. McCain and Sen. Allen
-- Fly to California

September 14th, 2007; California
-- Meet-and-Greet at the Reagan Library with Gov. Schwarzenegger and Fmr. First Lady Nancy Reagan
-- Meeting with California State Lawmakers
-- Appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
-- Fly to Washington
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »

OOC: Edwards was leading in South Carolina; may we get a new poll of that primary?

South Carolina Poll: Democratic Primary (Sept. 2007)
Blanche Lincoln: 18%
Mary Landrieu: 15%
Hillary Clinton: 15%
Evan Bayh: 13%
Tom Vilsack: 9%
Howard Dean: 7%
John Kerry: 7%
Undecided: 16%

South Carolina Poll: Republican Primary (Sept. 2007)
Rudy Giuliani: 47%
Mark Sanford: 41%
Newt Gingrich: 4%
Ron Paul: 1%
Undecided: 7%
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2014, 09:08:03 PM »

Giuliani Endorsements

Senator George Voinovich: "The past four years have been good to Ohio and President Giuliani has been a great leader. For Newt and Governor Sanford to challenge the President is just silly - he's doing a great job."
Schedule
Sept. 7th-9th
Barnstorming for President Giuliani in Iowa
Sept. 10th-11th
Congressional Duties
Sept. 12th-14th
Fundraising for President Giuliani in Ohio

Former Senator Bob Dole: "I ran for President 12 years ago. Newt Gingrich was a strong force back then - he stood for conservative principles. Now he only stands for himself. Governor Sanford, in my opinion, has done nothing of note that makes him qualified to be President. That's why I'm happy to back President Giuliani in his re-election bid."
Schedule
Sept. 7th-10th
Barnstorming for President Giuliani in South Carolina
Sept. 11th-14th
Private Affairs

Governor Charlie Crist: "Rudy Giuliani has been a great President. His policies have made America attractive for businesses - especially his support for green energy. These have brought jobs and capital to Florida. To back anyone else this election would be silly."
Schedule
Sept. 7th-10th
Barnstorming for President Giuliani in South Carolina
Sept. 11th-13th
Gubernatorial Duties
Sept. 14th
Barnstorming for President Giuliani in Florida

Republican Leadership Council: "President Giuliani has successfully led us over the last four years and we trust him to continue his stewardship over the next four."
Schedule
Sept. 7th-14th
GOTV Efforts in New Hampshire and Florida

Republican Main Street Partnership: "Both former Speaker Gingrich and Governor Sanford are too far to the right to successfully govern our nation. We believe that President Giuliani will carry on his role as a bipartisan problem solver in a second term."
Schedule
Sept. 7th-14th
GOTV Efforts in New Hampshire and Iowa
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2014, 09:27:24 PM »

Howard Dean Debate Answers!

Absolutely Tim. With actual leadership experience, knowing how to bridge the gap between parties and pushing through an agenda, if you've never done it before than the Presidency is going to be a big shock. I'm not saying that none of the Senators standing with me are worthy of the office, but the fact is that leading a state for over ten years gives you some perspective on leadership. It absolutely makes a difference in terms of policy, being able to actually accomplish policy goals, but I think the experience shows I am the only one on this stage that has been able to get serious accomplishments through that impact American families. As you know, my Dr. Dynosaur plan drastically lowered the uninsured rate in my state to well below the national average. I can bring that sort of leadership to the White House, instead of the middling leadership we've seen that is beholden to special interests.

Healthcare. The fact is, we face high costs and a lowering standard of living for the bottom 90% while the top 10% are living high off the hog. It's time we had a healthcare system that benefits everyone. That's why my plan, Medicare for all, is going to do all the things we've talked about doing for years. By lowering the medicare age limit to 0, we save so much money, since Medicare spends healthcare dollars more efficiently than any other sector of healthcare, and it brings more care to more individuals. Combine that with prize funding for healthcare research instead of giving it to whoever donates to the politicians and cutting waste and fraud, and we get a healthcare system that not only competes with the world, but helps our people at the same time. I challenge the people on this stage to come up with a plan that does more for the American people, especially those who aren't as wealthy as you or I.

What's there to solve? I want more people in our country! We are a nation of immigrants and we should welcome these people. After all, our successful philsophy for so many years has been "Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses". But, I do see concern with a violation of the law. That's why I think we should lower the standards to get into this country, increase the number of people allowed to come in, and fight illegal immigration the way other countries do: by targeting businesses that hire illegal immigrants. I don't know why Republicans don't do that, or, heck, maybe I do *chuckles from audience* But other countries don't have an illegal immigrant problem for a reason. Building a damn fence doesn't go after the incentive for illegal immigration, nor does hating immigrants. Only targeting the incentive for people to come here illegally solves the problem.

I am committed to supporting the party in November. I will not run as a third party, not only because that space is filled in a little bit, but also because it's just not worth it. I believe in Democratic principles, I love my party, and I want to support it. I know some of these people on this stage don't exactly inspire the most confidence from me, but nevertheless I am willing to back them over Rudy Giuliani, who in four years as President has escalated war, cut taxes for the wealthy, and failed to get through a basic minimum wage bill. The risk of continued Republican control is too great for me.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2014, 09:41:15 PM »

Tom Vilsack: Campaign Affairs:

With a surge in Iowa and having achieved a small lead there, the Vilsack campaign has decided to double their efforts not only to secure the caucus, but to establish the Governor as a candidate with national appeal by trying to raise his visibility on the race. New offices have been opened in Iowa to be manned by local volunteers, and the campaign has started to contact key Democratic activists and officers in order to build up support for the caucus day (which involves as much organization as turnout). Governor Vilsack is scheduled to open the first office in Michigan (Detroit) at the end of the week along with some new supporters and endorsers, where he will unveil his energetic plan as well in the hopes that the combination of the events and a decent debate performace will make him more known to Democratic voters. With other campaigns doing a very strong push in the internet, the Vilsack campaign has also opened several official accounts and is now currently releasing some basic ads in sites like Youtube, hoping to encourage more campaign donations along the way so the campaign can expand operations and increase the number of ads, staffers and volunteers in other early states like South Carolina, New Hampshire, Florida and Nevada.

Endorsements:

Michigan and Illinois, September 2007:
With the Governor back on the lead in Iowa several democrats from the Midwest have come out in support of his campaign, providing Vilsack with support to increase his lead in the caucus and expand his operations into Michigan, an early state that the campaign has targeted as crucial in order to win momentum after the Iowa Caucuses. As of now, Governors Rod Blagojevich and Jennifer Granholm and Senator Dick Durbin have joined the Vilsack team as surrogates after their endorsements.

"On this day I am pleased to join many Illinoisans and Midwesterner Amrericans who are excited and proud to support Governor Vilsack in his bid for the Presidency.  I know that he will fight to make sure that working families have access to health care, good paying jobs, and opportunities to provide for their children. I believe he supports the very best of these Democratic values: they are values that he and I share, values I know he will fight for, and I am proud to give him my support."

"America has many issues to solve as of now, and the next President will have to address them in the best way possible since they will shape our future for a very long time. I was glad to see Governor Vilsack supporting a strong plan for alternative energy, his support for the reform of our health care system and his positions of trade and working training. These are issues that are very important to Michigan, and that is why I am endorsing and supporting the Governor for President in the primary."

"This party needs a special kind of leader to take on President Giuliani and retake the White House. Tom Vilsack may not be the most famous of the current candidates, but he has enthusiasm, bright ideas and a commitment to this campaign and to all Americans. I will gladly give him my endorsement for President, for his grassroots campaign has serious potential to become a truly strong effort that may shock the pundits.

Surrogates:

Governor Rod Blagojevich:
-Fundraiser in Chicago, IL. (September 8th)
-Barnstorming Des Moines, Davenport and Sioux City, IA. (September 12-14th)

Governor Jennifer Granholm:
-Fundraisers in Detroit, IL. (September 8-9th)
-Barnstorming Detroit, IL. (September 10th)
-Rallies in Grand Rapids, Warren and Sterling Heights, IL. (September 13th)
-Event with Tom Vilsack on Detroit, IL. (September 14th)

Senator Dick Durbin:
-Fundraisers in Chicago, IL. (September 8-9th)
-Barnstorming Iowa. (September 13-14th)

Congressman Dave Loebsack:
-Barnstorming rural Iowa, focus on high turnout areas. (September 8-10th)
-Rallies in Sioux City, Iowa City and Waterloo (September 13th)

Congressman Bruce Braley:
-Canvassing Des Moines and Cedar Rapids, IA. (September 9-10th)
-Rallies in Ames, West Des Moines and Dubuque, IA. (September 12th)

Ads:

Vilsack Ad#1: Not a Rock Star, but Rock Solid.
-To run in Iowa, Michigan and New Hampshire.

(Pictures and graphics outlining Vilsack's two terms as Governor of Iowa)

Narrator: "Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack led his state for eight years, and during that time his state underwent a dramatic change. Governor Vilsack expanded health care coverage to more than 90,000 uninsured children. He expanded access to early childhood education, and he made Iowa a national leader in renewable energy. He also balanced the budget while providing targeted tax relief to working families. He built a solid foundation of progress in Iowa that ensures countless opportunities for people of all ages."  

Vilsack: "As President, I want to lead America in a new direction. I want to strengthen our schools, improve our health care system, achieve energy security, and bring our troops home from Iraq. Like I often say during campaign stops: I may not be a rock star, but I am rock solid. I am Tom Vilsack and I approve this message."
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2014, 02:53:19 AM »

Lincoln Endorsements, II

"There is only one candidate who is truly invested, truly capable of succeeding in the task of social and economic advancement of African Americans, at that is Blanche Lincoln. I am proud to be supporting her in the Maryland primary." - NAACP Chairman Julian Bond announcing the NAACP's endorsement of Lincoln.

"My fellow Carolinians, join me in supporting Blanche Lincoln in the Democratic primary!" - former North Carolina Senator John Edwards

Kentucky Sen. Daniel Mongiardo

American Federation of Teachers

"President Giuliani has failed to build consensus or do much of anything he promised in 2004. America is in search of a true leader and in Blanche Lincoln we have that fierce leader." - West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2014, 03:32:13 AM »

John McCain

On the Campaign Trail for Rudy Giuliani!

September 7, 2007

Town Hall in Des Moines, IA.
Rally in Iowa City, IA.
Meet and Greet in Ames, IA.
Meeting with Giuliani Campaign Volunteers in Marion, IA.

September 8, 2007

Town Hall in West Des Moines, IA.
GOTV Rally in Ankeny, IA.
GOTV Rally in Cedar Falls, IA.
Meet and Greet in Cedar Falls, IA.

September 9, 2007

Rally in Urbandale, IA.
Town Hall in Bettendorf, IA.
GOTV Rally in Clive, IA.
Town Hall in Grimes, IA.

September 10, 2007

GOTV Rally in Grinnel, IA.
GOTV Rally in Pella, IA.
Town Hall in Eldridge, IA.
Meeting with Giuliani Campaign volunteers in Des Moines, IA.

September 11, 2007

Congressional and private duties.

September 12, 2007

Rally in Camanche, IA.
Town Hall in Evansdale, IA.
Meet and Greet in Waterloo, IA.
GOTV Rally in Paullina, IA.
Rally in Ames, IA.

September 13, 2007

GOTV Rally in Aiken, SC.
Rally in Columbia, SC.
Tour The Citadel with President Giuliani and Senator Allen.
Meet and Greet at Blackbaud Stadium in Charleston, SC with President Giuliani and Senator Allen.

September 14, 2007

Town Hall in Charleston, SC.
Town Hall in Greer, SC.
GOTV Rally in Florence, SC.
GOTV Rally in Sumter, SC.
Town Hall in Seneca, SC.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2014, 03:52:12 AM »

John Edwards is an endorsement we probably should hold off on Just like Former VP Al Gore.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2014, 01:22:27 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2014, 08:59:54 PM by IDS Emperor Maxwell »

Dean and Sanford announce Bipartisan Candidate Forum

MSNBC Political Director Chuck Todd set to moderate

September 8th, 2007 - At the end of the week, something different is going to happen: A two man, bipartisan debate between Governors Mark Sanford and Howard Dean, two respective candidates for President. Both men have varying views on policy, but have nevertheless agreed a debate with strong contrasts is important. They've agreed to a debate allowing responses, questioning the opponent, and even one or two questions from the audience. The debate is closed for the moment, though Dean and Sanford have reached out to other candidates for future bipartisan forums. The forum will occur on the 16th.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2014, 02:31:50 PM »

Hillary Clinton 08; Schedule for Bill Clinton

September 7, 2007
Meet with staffers in Chappaqua, New York

Interview with Jill Flipovic for Cosmopolitan Magazine's website (Cosmopolitan.com) in Hartsdale, New York

]President Clinton, congratulations, on being named Cosmopolitan's sexiest President ever. Do you believe this designation is accurate?

Maybe when I was in office it was accurate, but today's Bill Clinton is a bit older, and therefore has more of a silver fox vibe.

Between Senator Landrieu, Senator Clinton, and Senator Lincoln, which candidate do believe is the strongest on women's issues?

Well, obviously I'm going to say that Hillary is. But Senator Lincoln and Senator Landrieu both have solid records on women's rights, and should they become the nominee, I see no reason for women to be dissapointed. 

Do you regret your sexual behavior in the Oval Office?

While I don't necessarily regret the affairs with Paula Jones, Juanita Broaddrick and Monica Lewinsky, I do regret lying about them, as looking back now it would have served me, Hillary, and all of my partners better to come clean from the beginning.

September 8,9,10

Rest

September 11, 2007

Attend 9/11 Memorial Ceremony at Ground Zero, Manhattan, New York

September 12,13,14

Rest
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »

Howard Dean For America - September 8th - 15th

The New Hampshire Tour

"New Hampshire is a state of independent thinkers. People in this state don't just rush to decision, they make up their minds. This is a state that voted for Clinton both times and then turned around and voted for Bush and Giuliani, and I think I'm the kind of Democrat who can win it back. The first thing I want to say is in spite of the press calling me a far out wacko, I'm someone who has a pragmatic approach to the issues. I believe in balancing the books. And sometimes, that hurts. I admit, we may have to make some sacrificing for what we do. First, I want to get tax rates back to the Clinton levels. I won't be signing another tax cut unless its paid for and it helps the middle class and working families! From there, we have to cut our bloated defense state, and if there's anything left beyond that and waste, we have to take an even approach and cut the less useful programs. Those things together can bring our budgets to balance while at the same time, helping our economy prosper."

September 8th, 2007 (With Fmr. Sen. Bill Bradley and Rep. Carol Shea-Porter)
Town Hall in Winchester, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Troy, New Hampshire
Barnstorming in Keene, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Walpoll, New Hampshire
Television Appearance

"President Giuliani, unsurprisingly, has avoided his Republican opponents because he doesn't want there to be a debate on the issues, he just wants to be re-elected and silence his opposition on the right. I think that's downright shameful. I'll tell you this much: I love talking about the issues with voters, and arguing points with fellow candidates. I want as many debates as possible, which is why Mark Sanford and I are doing what we're doing. Voters want to see what their candidates have to say, and we are going to give them a debate on the issues."

"You know, our campaign is expanding every day. We are getting larger and larger funds, no thanks to big special interests and Super PACs, and we are catching up close to the frontrunners every day. We are in third place nationally, and a strong second place in Iowa and climbing the polls in New Hampshire. If the election were today, I think we'd surprise a lot of pundits who looked at my candidacy earlier on and said, 'Howard Dean ain't gonna win'. We still have a ways to go though: We don't have Blanche Lincoln or Hillary Clinton money at the moment, and so we're looking to compete where we can. Early states like Iowa and New Hampshire are beneficial for us because voters there are looking for problem solvers big and small, it's not about who spends the most, its about who spends the most time. From there, Michigan looks good, New Mexico looks good, and going forward, Maine and Washington are going to be states where you see a lot of us in the coming months."

"What has the President done right, Tim? We face trillion dollar deficits, special interests running the White House, very little done in way of what he promised, and even more blowing of money on charter schools, which don't even offer better results for our students. What's the most frightening, though, is the continuation of the Patriot Act, a bill that violates our freedom in such an egregious way that it makes me gag a little bit to call it the Patriot Act. Benjamin Franklin once said that 'Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.' and that holds true today in my mind. We need to repeal the Patriot Act and other violations of our right to privacy and freedom and begin to make amends with the American people. On my first day in office, I will shut down Guantanamo Bay."

September 9th, 2007 (With Fmr. Sen. Bill Bradley and Rep. Carol Shea-Porter)
Town Hall in Hillsborough, New Hampshire
Meet the Voters in Antrim, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Milford, New Hampshire
Barnstorming in Manchester, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Manchester, New Hampshire

"Congresswoman Carol Shea-Porter has been a great supporter of this campaign in this fight for the White House, and a great Representative for the state of New Hampshire. In the Democratic Party, there's not nearly enough fight, enough backbone, to fight the policies of this administration and of the Republicans. I want my party back. I want, my country back! Together we can do it, but only if we work hard, we go from door to door, we talk to people about the issues, and we get everyone involved. This country was founded on the ideals of Democracy, and this is Democracy at its roots. If you elect me President, I won't represent Big Oil, I won't represent large conglomerates, I won't represent any big name donors or big shots, I'll represent you, the people of New Hampshire, who go from paycheck to paycheck trying to put food on the plate every month and make a living. I want to live in a country where we don't discriminate on the basis of gender, race, sexuality, income, or anything other than the persons ability. That's my vision for America, and that's yours too! Let's work together, and make our vision true!"

September 10th, 2007 (With Fmr. Sen. Bill Bradley)
Town Hall in Hampton, New Hampshire
Meet the Voters in Exeter, New Hampshire
Barnstorming in Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Somersworth, New Hampshire

September 11th, 2007 (With Fmr. Sen. Bill Bradley)
Barnstorming in Dover, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Dover, New Hampshire
MEet and Greet in Rochester, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Farmington, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Belmont, New Hampshire

"Today is a tragic day in American history. I don't need to remind you all what happened, you already know. It angered me so much that day when it happened. But in dark times, Americans unite behind someone, a leader, and that's what happened in the aftermath of 9/11. What happened afterwards proved to be tragic as well. The signing into law of the Patriot Act, and the tricking of Americans into the Iraq War, have shaken the fabric of this country, torn us into two, and have bled our resources dry. We should learn from the lessons of post-9/11 and realize that we shouldn't be taken for granted, even in the most dire of times we must stick to what we believe in. Freedom, equality, peace. It's time we focused on defeating real terror, instead of putting forces into a country that had nothing to do with it."

September 12th, 2007 (With Fmr. Sen. Bill Bradley and Rep. Carol Shea-Porter)
Town Hall in Laconia, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Meredith, New Hampshire
Meet and Greet in Plymouth, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Plymouth, New Hampshire
Meet and Greet in North Woodstock, New Hampshire

September 13th, 2007 (With Fmr. Sen. Bill Bradley and Rep. Carol Shea-Porter)
Meet and Greet in Woodsville, New Hampshire
Meet and Greet in Lisbon, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Littleton, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Whitefield, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Berlin, New Hampshire

"Yes, folks, we need change! As the former New Jersey Senator and Basketball star Bill Bradley told me on the bus, we need to fundamentally change the way Washington works and how it operates. We send too many people to Washington who are beholden to the old ways. I say out with the old and in with the new! Middle class tax cuts done responsibly will invigorate this economy. Putting money where our mouth is on education, moving forward with math and science and new technologies will create a new economy with better paying jobs for America, and strengthening our unions and paying our teachers more will give them more incentive to be a better role model for our kids. Under Presidents Giuliani and Bush we are behind, we need to play catch-up. It's out with the old and in with the new, and it's time we took President Giuliani out of the White House! *Cheers*"

September 14th, 2007 (With Rep. Carol Shea-Porter)
Town Hall in West Milan, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Stratford, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Errol, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Pittsburg, New Hampshire

September 15th, 2007
Flight to Michigan
Meeting with heads of Campaign
Announcement of New Endorsements
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2014, 08:26:20 PM »

Can we get now the schedule of the Democratic Presidential Primaries?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies