Special Election megathread (5/21: CA-20)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:27:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (5/21: CA-20)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 114
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (5/21: CA-20)  (Read 140538 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: June 16, 2021, 04:35:36 PM »

Clinton won the OH primary in 2016, so i mean, she still clearly has sway with OH Democrats.

Hoping Brown can pull out a miracle. Turner is insane.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #401 on: June 16, 2021, 05:53:02 PM »

Clinton won the OH primary in 2016, so i mean, she still clearly has sway with OH Democrats.

Hoping Brown can pull out a miracle. Turner is insane.

Just like how Clinton's best performance in the NY 2016 primary was in NY-16?

Few are voting or gauging their vote based on Clinton's endorsement. Even high-profile senators and house members don't have the strongest sway over the electorate.

Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #402 on: June 16, 2021, 06:26:14 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2021, 06:29:59 PM by I No Longer Fear »

This won't matter, but it's funny to see Turner supports on Twitter talk about Hillary's endorsement being "the kiss of death" when Hillary handily beat Sanders in OH-11 in the 2016 primary.

And absolutely nothing has happened since then.

It's still ridiculous to act like this endorsement will harm Brown. Of course it's not 2016 anymore, but I have no reason to believe that a significant number of Hillary's supporters in the 2016 primary have turned against her in the last five years. And as far as everyone wants to make this race and the 2016 primary proxies for the broader moderate-progressive conflict, the 2020 presidential primary certainly was a resounding win for the moderate side, including in the Midwest.

I would probably rather have Turner in Congress, so I'm not endorsing Hillary's endorsement, I'm just saying that Hillary is still a well-liked figure among most Democrats and thus calling her endorsement "the kiss of death" is laughable.

I agree with you that "kiss of death" is a bit extreme, but it's also likely more tongue-in-cheek than it is a serious statement. Like you say, this will have absolutely no impact on the race. Still, this endorsement reeks of yet another stab at a Bernie acolyte for the sake of doing so. Did she ever endorse a primary challenge to Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, etc?

I'm amazed at how she manages to consistently throw her support behind the most incompetent politicians possible. It's different from picking someone like Henry Cuellar to own the bros. Her congressional endorsements since her loss have been:

* Donna Shalala (lazy, dog**** campaigner, from the Clinton/Feinstein school of thought where their experience entitles them to power)
* Eliot Engel (got caught in 4k, constantly fueled the narrative that he was out of touch with his district)
* Shontel Brown (Has been an absolute trainwreck running the CCDP, can't even lock down her own machine. Probably the most incompetent congressional candidate I've seen in my lifetime.)
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #403 on: June 16, 2021, 07:28:20 PM »

This won't matter, but it's funny to see Turner supports on Twitter talk about Hillary's endorsement being "the kiss of death" when Hillary handily beat Sanders in OH-11 in the 2016 primary.

It's still ridiculous to act like this endorsement will harm Brown. Of course it's not 2016 anymore, but I have no reason to believe that a significant number of Hillary's supporters in the 2016 primary have turned against her in the last five years. And as far as everyone wants to make this race and the 2016 primary proxies for the broader moderate-progressive conflict, the 2020 presidential primary certainly was a resounding win for the moderate side, including in the Midwest.

I would probably rather have Turner in Congress, so I'm not endorsing Hillary's endorsement, I'm just saying that Hillary is still a well-liked figure among most Democrats and thus calling her endorsement "the kiss of death" is laughable.

I agree with you that "kiss of death" is a bit extreme, but it's also likely more tongue-in-cheek than it is a serious statement. Like you say, this will have absolutely no impact on the race. Still, this endorsement reeks of yet another stab at a Bernie acolyte for the sake of doing so. Did she ever endorse a primary challenge to Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, etc?

I'm amazed at how she manages to consistently throw her support behind the most incompetent politicians possible. It's different from picking someone like Henry Cuellar to own the bros. Her congressional endorsements since her loss have been:

* Donna Shalala (lazy, dog**** campaigner, from the Clinton/Feinstein school of thought where their experience entitles them to power)
* Eliot Engel (got caught in 4k, constantly fueled the narrative that he was out of touch with his district)
* Shontel Brown (Has been an absolute trainwreck running the CCDP, can't even lock down her own machine. Probably the most incompetent congressional candidate I've seen in my lifetime.)

It's because she's corrupt and so are they. It's not a mystery, they all have the same ties to the "donor network" which really just might as well be the DNC at this point
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #404 on: June 16, 2021, 07:41:49 PM »

1 for 4 still isn't a very good track record, but you are conveniently omitting Haley Stevens.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #405 on: June 16, 2021, 07:44:11 PM »

They truly hate to see a girlboss winning. Despicable.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #406 on: June 16, 2021, 11:24:23 PM »

1 for 4 still isn't a very good track record, but you are conveniently omitting Haley Stevens.

Who won by less than Elissa Slotkin in a bluer district and also seems a tad unstable.
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #407 on: June 16, 2021, 11:48:18 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2021, 11:55:41 PM by The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow »

Who won by less than Elissa Slotkin in a bluer district and also seems a tad unstable.

I’m not saying she’s an electoral titan, only that she’s certainly a league above the other three. (And Slotkin has proven herself to be an exceptionally good candidate, so I don’t know if comparisons to her are all that telling.)
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #408 on: June 17, 2021, 12:38:29 AM »

Ah, yes. A bit of a deep cut - Haley Stevens isn't as famous as Shalala and her primary wasn't on Brown/Engel's levels.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #409 on: June 17, 2021, 02:51:13 AM »

I don't know why people are talking about Hillary endorsing people who lost primaries like it's some kind of own.  Usually non-competitive primary candidates don't need endorsements, so naturally you're going to endorse candidates in competitive races who have a good chance of losing.

At least Hillary endorsed normal candidates who ended up losing.  Bernie Sanders endorsed the likes of Cenk Uygur, Tim Canova, and Sarah Iannarone, that's way more embarrassing than endorsing Eliot Engel.

I doubt this will move the needle, the only hope I have is that it finally gets people to think "why is Hillary endorsing Shontel Brown?"  Nine has been running one of the most duplicitous campaigns I've ever seen -- she's literally presenting herself as the opposite of her actual self and running against herself -- and it's working because she has absolutely titanic amounts of money coming in through the Bernie machine, so she's drowning OH-11 in ads and intimidating all the local officials into getting behind her inevitable candidacy.  Maybe a Hillary endorsement of her opponent will shake that inevitability.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #410 on: June 17, 2021, 01:32:09 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2021, 01:35:40 PM by Horus »

I don't know why people are talking about Hillary endorsing people who lost primaries like it's some kind of own.  Usually non-competitive primary candidates don't need endorsements, so naturally you're going to endorse candidates in competitive races who have a good chance of losing.

At least Hillary endorsed normal candidates who ended up losing.  Bernie Sanders endorsed the likes of Cenk Uygur, Tim Canova, and Sarah Iannarone, that's way more embarrassing than endorsing Eliot Engel.

I doubt this will move the needle, the only hope I have is that it finally gets people to think "why is Hillary endorsing Shontel Brown?"  Nine has been running one of the most duplicitous campaigns I've ever seen -- she's literally presenting herself as the opposite of her actual self and running against herself -- and it's working because she has absolutely titanic amounts of money coming in through the Bernie machine, so she's drowning OH-11 in ads and intimidating all the local officials into getting behind her inevitable candidacy.  Maybe a Hillary endorsement of her opponent will shake that inevitability.

Someone is scared of the strong Black woman who dares to speak out against the neolib "consensus."
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #411 on: June 17, 2021, 03:20:41 PM »

Someone is scared of the strong Black woman who dares to speak out against the neolib "consensus."

Accusing people who don't like Nina of hating "strong Black women" was worn out five years ago.  Find a new angle.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #412 on: June 17, 2021, 03:38:17 PM »

I don't know why people are talking about Hillary endorsing people who lost primaries like it's some kind of own.  Usually non-competitive primary candidates don't need endorsements, so naturally you're going to endorse candidates in competitive races who have a good chance of losing.

At least Hillary endorsed normal candidates who ended up losing.  Bernie Sanders endorsed the likes of Cenk Uygur, Tim Canova, and Sarah Iannarone, that's way more embarrassing than endorsing Eliot Engel.

I doubt this will move the needle, the only hope I have is that it finally gets people to think "why is Hillary endorsing Shontel Brown?"  Nine has been running one of the most duplicitous campaigns I've ever seen -- she's literally presenting herself as the opposite of her actual self and running against herself -- and it's working because she has absolutely titanic amounts of money coming in through the Bernie machine, so she's drowning OH-11 in ads and intimidating all the local officials into getting behind her inevitable candidacy.  Maybe a Hillary endorsement of her opponent will shake that inevitability.

Why is everything always about race? Address the points
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #413 on: June 17, 2021, 04:25:33 PM »

Why is everything always about race? Address the points

His post wasn't worth an issue based response because it contained a blatant lie about Turner "intimidating all the local officials."

And who are you to tell anyone how to respond to anything? You're like the epitome of a white noise poster. Who are you again? lmao
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #414 on: June 17, 2021, 07:52:07 PM »

And you are conveniently omitting Joe Crowley. lol
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #415 on: June 17, 2021, 09:33:02 PM »

And you are conveniently omitting Joe Crowley. lol

When did she endorse Crowley in his primary? Don’t think she did.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #416 on: June 27, 2021, 12:39:28 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2021, 12:55:59 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

Anyone remember a year and a half ago, when Cenk Uygur ran for Congress and all of Bernieworld endorsed him?  And then it "came out" (actually this has been known about him for all along, but it finally got some press attention) that Cenk was a raging misogynist asshole with a history of saying really, truly vile and disgusting things and throwing manbaby temper tantrums?  And then Bernie, Nina, and the rest of Bernieworld had to do a 180 and un-endorse him and pretend this was news to them?

I guess I'm the only one who remembers because now Nina is out there doing events with Cenk.  I guess she forgot a year ago when she distanced herself from him because of all the horrible, toxic, misogynistic s--t he said.

Oh, also here's a clip of Nina nodding along and agreeing with Killer Mike as he accuses Jim Clyburn of being "incredibly stupid" and "caring more about his sponsors than the people who voted to get him there."  You might think this clip is from a year ago, before Nina adopted her new public image.  Actually, it's from this week.  But nobody in OH-11 will see this clip, they only get to see the fake Nina that her media team is spending millions of dollars to sell to the district.  This real Nina is for her leftist audience online, it was at an event with TYT to try and raise even more money.

P.S. she doesn't actually live in OH-11.  She lives in Maryland and has for years.  Has Nina even been back to Cleveland during this race?  The primary debate was on Zoom.  As far as I can tell from the events section of her Facebook page, she's done multiple events in Hawaii but none in Cleveland.

None of this will matter, though.  None of it will break through.  She has an entire presidential campaign apparatus behind her Congressional primary run, and she's using it to drown OH-11 in false advertising portraying her as the polar opposite of everything she portrayed herself as for the last five years.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #417 on: June 27, 2021, 12:47:49 PM »

Anyone remember a year and a half ago, when Cenk Uygur ran for Congress and all of Bernieworld endorsed him?  And then it "came out" (actually this has been known about him for all along, but it finally got some press attention) that Cenk was a raging misogynist asshole with a history of saying really, truly vile and disgusting things and throwing manbaby temper tantrums?  And then Bernie, Nina, and the rest of Bernieworld had to do a 180 and un-endorse him and pretend this was news to them?

I guess I'm the only one who remembers because now Nina is out there doing events with Cenk.  I guess she forgot a year ago when she distanced herself from him because of all the horrible, toxic, misogynistic s--t he said.

Oh, also here's a clip of Nina nodding along and agreeing with Killer Mike as he accuses Jim Clyburn of being "incredibly stupid" and "caring more about his sponsors than the people who voted to get him there."  You might think this clip is from a year ago, before Nina adopted her new public image.  Actually, it's from this week.  But nobody in OH-11 will see this clip, they only get to see the fake Nina that her media team is spending millions of dollars to sell to the district.  This real Nina is for her leftist audience online.

P.S. she doesn't actually live in OH-11.  She lives in Maryland and has for years.  Has Nina even been back to Cleveland during this race?  The primary debate was on Zoom.  As far as I can tell from the events section of her Facebook page, she's done multiple events in Hawaii but none in Cleveland.

None of this will matter, though.  None of it will break through.  She has an entire presidential campaign apparatus behind her Congressional primary run, and she's using it to drown OH-11 in false advertising portraying her as the polar opposite of everything she portrayed herself as for the last five years.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #418 on: June 27, 2021, 06:42:33 PM »

Oh, also here's a clip of Nina nodding along and agreeing with Killer Mike as he accuses Jim Clyburn of being "incredibly stupid" and "caring more about his sponsors than the people who voted to get him there."  You might think this clip is from a year ago, before Nina adopted her new public image.  Actually, it's from this week.  But nobody in OH-11 will see this clip, they only get to see the fake Nina that her media team is spending millions of dollars to sell to the district.  This real Nina is for her leftist audience online, it was at an event with TYT to try and raise even more money.

Cope.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #419 on: June 28, 2021, 02:25:28 AM »

Supporting a horrible person, and then going "lol suck it bitch" when someone points out all the horrible things they do, in plain sight, with no shame, and no accountability.

Am I describing Trump supporters?

No, they're Nina Turner supporters.

It's easy to get confused since in 2016 they all helped Trump get elected by voting for Jill Stein.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #420 on: June 28, 2021, 02:36:14 AM »

It's easy to get confused since in 2016 they all helped Trump get elected by voting for Jill Stein.
citation needed
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #421 on: June 28, 2021, 03:02:19 AM »

Supporting a horrible person, and then going "lol suck it bitch" when someone points out all the horrible things they do, in plain sight, with no shame, and no accountability.

Am I describing Trump supporters?

This is fun to watch. All I'm missing is the popcorn.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #422 on: June 28, 2021, 05:11:01 AM »

I'm missing why so many people here are fans of Nina Turner. What is there to like?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #423 on: June 28, 2021, 06:00:37 AM »

citation needed

Stein's vote share was greater than Trump's margin of victory in all three of the Blue Wall states he flipped, we don't know how 2016 could have gone but the Stein vote was helpful to Trump.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #424 on: June 28, 2021, 10:15:13 AM »

I take back what I said about no one caring that Turner is gonna win.  Apparently General MacArthur cares Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 114  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies