Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:58:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 296
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 208531 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: October 09, 2023, 12:35:20 PM »

Egyptian officials are also claiming that the political leaders of Hamas were unaware of the planned attack. I strongly doubt the veracity of that. We'll probably need to wait a while longer to get the full picture of the events of this past week.

Egyptian statements should be treated with as much suspicion as Israeli statements: part of the Sisi regime's function is as mediator/restraints on hamas, so if they've lost control that's a major failure in their own credibility.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #1276 on: October 09, 2023, 12:39:18 PM »

Hamas have just released a statement: they will execute the hostages (on video) if the unannounced (i.e. no roof knocking) airstrikes continue.
Are they actually stupid?

What should they do according to you?
As of now? Surrender completely and call upon both the Palestininian and Israeli people to work towards a deal in which 1967 border are completly respected. Of course it likely wouldn’t work but it’s better than further provoking their much stronger neighbor into committing a genocide against their own people.
Escalation on both sides for decades brought us here, the solution is not the same thing that has caused so much pain in the first place.

That will only happen once hell freezes over. Hamas is a terrorist organization.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1277 on: October 09, 2023, 12:40:04 PM »

Hamas have just released a statement: they will execute the hostages (on video) if the unannounced (i.e. no roof knocking) airstrikes continue.

As of now? Surrender completely and call upon both the Palestininian and Israeli people to work towards a deal in which 1967 border are completly respected. Of course it likely wouldn’t work but it’s better than further provoking their much stronger neighbor into committing a genocide against their own people.
Escalation on both sides for decades brought us here, the solution is not the same thing that has caused so much pain in the first place.

That will only happen once hell freezes over. Hamas is a terrorist organization.

I am well aware.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1278 on: October 09, 2023, 12:46:26 PM »

Not that i expect hamas to, but terrorist groups do and can surrender - Fatah itself did.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1279 on: October 09, 2023, 12:55:14 PM »

Unconditionally surrender
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1280 on: October 09, 2023, 12:58:16 PM »

It's not best practice to take actions that will radicalize polite liberal opinion against your cause for decades, not that Hamas cares as long as they can retain a hard core of knee-jerk West Bad support on the "left" even if they start ass-raping the disproportionate number of attractive young women they've abducted (on-camera. Off-camera they manifestly already have) instead of killing them.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1281 on: October 09, 2023, 12:59:53 PM »

The Church of Saint Porphyrius, one of the oldest in the world, has been destroyed in an airstrike.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1282 on: October 09, 2023, 01:00:46 PM »

The Church of Saint Porphyrius, one of the oldest in the world, has been destroyed in an airstrike.

F**k. Not that it in any way compares to the human suffering, but as a Church History Person this hits me hard.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1283 on: October 09, 2023, 01:04:18 PM »

Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1284 on: October 09, 2023, 01:05:34 PM »

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1285 on: October 09, 2023, 01:06:50 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2023, 01:10:01 PM by Doug Burgum Sugar Baby »

Not execute innocent civilians on live TV???

What the f**k is wrong with you? Delete your account.

If a single American citizen is among the executed hostages I would fully support American strikes on Gaza.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1286 on: October 09, 2023, 01:07:29 PM »

Haven't been able to verify this — have only seen posts from Jackson Hinkle and "Christian Mario." At least one source on the ground says it's not true:

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1287 on: October 09, 2023, 01:07:34 PM »

President Herzog's speech:

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1288 on: October 09, 2023, 01:11:59 PM »

Not execute innocent civilians on live TV???

What the f**k is wrong with you? Delete your account.

If a single American citizen is among the executed hostages I would fully support American strikes on Gaza.

I have never said any of that.

The only thing i have asked is: "what should they do".
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1289 on: October 09, 2023, 01:12:57 PM »

President Herzog's speech:

Most of the time I mock the Head of State/Head of Government distinction where some countries will have a ceremonial mostly powerless Head of State as the "symbol of the nation" separate from the actual political leader but I have to say this shuts me up on that. Herzog has a real use as a totem of Israel who isn't the deeply controversial Netanyahu.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1290 on: October 09, 2023, 01:14:17 PM »

Yes, Hamas are animals. Amalekites, even. The videos they themselves released all weekend show this quite clearly.

Dehumanising rhetoric is how we beat dehumanising rhetoric, well done.

Dehumanizing people and ethnic groups is one of the main characteristics of fascism. No doubt where are Gallant and his friends in the Israeli government, ideologically speaking. It's not only Hamas, all the Palestinians are "human animals " for them. There are plenty of statements made by these people confirming that. Dehumanizing an entire people is the first step towards past, present and future atrocities. We'll see more unspeakable horrors

Well done, yes
Hollywood
« Reply #1291 on: October 09, 2023, 01:17:12 PM »

About 5 hours ago, I told my co-worker that Egypt was involved.  There simply wasn't a way for the Gazans to pull-off this attack without help along the Egyptian border, and I wouldn't be surprised if soldiers from other countries were sent along with the weapons.  My co-worker thought I was crazy when I suggested it, and then he thought I'd lost my mind when I said Israel needed to push into the Sinai Peninsula.  Now he's onboard with an invasion of Egypt, even though I'm not really sure of it myself.  LOL.  
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1292 on: October 09, 2023, 01:19:09 PM »

Is this some sort of elaborate suicide by cop?
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #1293 on: October 09, 2023, 01:21:25 PM »

Is this some sort of elaborate suicide by cop?
Holy s**t! Hamas is not just evil, but also stupid!

NYDem

« Reply #1294 on: October 09, 2023, 01:22:01 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2023, 01:29:08 PM by Doug Burgum Sugar Baby »

About 5 hours ago, I told my co-worker that Egypt was involved.  There simply wasn't a way for the Gazans to pull-off this attack without help along the Egyptian border, and I wouldn't be surprised if soldiers from other countries were sent along with the weapons.  My co-worker thought I was crazy when I suggested it, and then he thought I'd lost my mind when I said Israel needed to push into the Sinai Peninsula.  Now he's onboard with an invasion of Egypt, even though I'm not really sure of it myself.  LOL.  

Egypt has no interest in helping Gaza in an attack of this kind. Of all Israel's Arab Muslim neighbors, they have the best relations with Egypt. It's a low bar, but still. In addition, Egypt has spent most of the past few decades under a mostly secular military dictatorship, repressing both the political Islamists and Palestinian militant groups. It is not in the Egyptian government's self-interest to support Hamas, even if regional sentiment and diplomacy mean that they have to make pro-Palestinian statements.

Hell, there's even credible (if-unconfirmed) reports that Egypt tried to tip Israel off to the attack and were ignored. I find it hard to believe they had any part in this.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1295 on: October 09, 2023, 01:23:59 PM »

So Hamas doesn’t just want all Jews to die, but all Palestinians as well, at least in Gaza.

muh anti-colonial resistance
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1296 on: October 09, 2023, 01:24:35 PM »

This is why we can't have nice things.
Hollywood
« Reply #1297 on: October 09, 2023, 01:27:43 PM »

Yes, Hamas are animals. Amalekites, even. The videos they themselves released all weekend show this quite clearly.

Dehumanising rhetoric is how we beat dehumanising rhetoric, well done.

Dehumanizing people and ethnic groups is one of the main characteristics of fascism. No doubt where are Gallant and his friends in the Israeli government, ideologically speaking. It's not only Hamas, all the Palestinians are "human animals " for them. There are plenty of statements made by these people confirming that. Dehumanizing an entire people is the first step towards past, present and future atrocities. We'll see more unspeakable horrors

Well done, yes

LOL.  They were dancing in the streets after Hamas attacked Israel.  They were chanting '700' to brag about how many people they killed.  They have dehumanized themselves by rejoicing in the blood of their enemy.  They couldn't even hide their happiness.  They are the fascists.  
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1298 on: October 09, 2023, 01:28:17 PM »

Israel threatens to destroy Damascus and remove Assad if Hezbollah joins the war.

Laki I don't think you should be banned but posting partisangirl in here really is not helping your case at all

I saw it on a Belgian internet forum.

NYDem

« Reply #1299 on: October 09, 2023, 01:30:12 PM »

Israel threatens to destroy Damascus and remove Assad if Hezbollah joins the war.

Laki I don't think you should be banned but posting partisangirl in here really is not helping your case at all

I saw it on a Belgian internet forum.

Is there a source other than her for it? She doesn't exactly have the best record of credibility, and doesn't actually include any attribution for the quoted statement.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 296  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies