NY: Trump on Trial!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:47:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Trump on Trial!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 100
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: NY: Trump on Trial!  (Read 71365 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: March 31, 2023, 06:44:55 PM »

Since we probably won't get much new info on this story for the next couple days, anybody want to try their luck with predictions? What will some of the 34 charges be? Will Trump smile in his mugshot or go Blue Steel? What will be his first Truth Social post after surrendering?

Blue steel. That's probably the only thing I am confident in predicting.

RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #751 on: March 31, 2023, 06:47:16 PM »

Since we probably won't get much new info on this story for the next couple days, anybody want to try their luck with predictions? What will some of the 34 charges be? Will Trump smile in his mugshot or go Blue Steel? What will be his first Truth Social post after surrendering?

Blue steel. That's probably the only thing I am confident in predicting.

Hey! I recognize that actor. He had a cameo in Home Alone 2!
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #752 on: March 31, 2023, 07:04:32 PM »

We may not even get to see the mugshot, depending on how the negotiations with Trump’s lawyers go. Sad
Redban

« Reply #753 on: March 31, 2023, 07:23:53 PM »

I believe NY had passed a law back in 2019 that bans the release of mugshots. It was a good law to pass because websites would have mugshots of people whose cases had been long dismissed and sealed
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #754 on: March 31, 2023, 07:39:44 PM »

We may not even get to see the mugshot, depending on how the negotiations with Trump’s lawyers go. Sad

How in the world is that up for negotiation with Trump's lawyers in the first place?

When ordinary people are arrested, there is no negotiation.

"Oh, but I don't want to have a mug shot officer, what if I..."
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #755 on: March 31, 2023, 08:00:34 PM »

hell ya fdt
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #756 on: March 31, 2023, 08:17:21 PM »

If you have any doubts about whether it's a good idea for Trump to be indicted, please consider the utter hilarity of Donald Trump being under a gag order: https://www.businessinsider.com/gag-order-donald-trump-extremely-likely-indictment-manhattan-2023-3
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #757 on: March 31, 2023, 08:17:48 PM »

How in the world is that up for negotiation with Trump's lawyers in the first place?

He’ll have to take it, but public release is a different story.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #758 on: March 31, 2023, 08:24:51 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2023, 08:28:07 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

The 303 states are safe D no matter what and the H us surely GONE for RS it follows the 303 map Hunter Laptop and Hunter didn't pay his taxes not Biden just like Trump is corrupted not Biden himself isn't gonna stop Biden from winning reelection anyways, forget it RS it's GONE IN 24/26/28

I put it safe D ony Map, that's why Biden says no comment on Trump he knows RS are Gone it depends on wave insurance because of the S goes thru OH, MO and FL, MT and we have competetive NC G race
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #759 on: March 31, 2023, 08:41:58 PM »

Its a non-violent white collar crime. Anyone can negotiate if they have a good enough lawyer. Better yet, a team of lawyers.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #760 on: March 31, 2023, 09:04:48 PM »

I believe NY had passed a law back in 2019 that bans the release of mugshots. It was a good law to pass because websites would have mugshots of people whose cases had been long dismissed and sealed

Mugshots and names of suspects would not be released until they are convicted, ideally.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #761 on: March 31, 2023, 09:05:35 PM »

Its a non-violent white collar crime. Anyone can negotiate if they have a good enough lawyer. Better yet, a team of lawyers.

Are there any good lawyers left who don't view Trump as a completely radioactive client at this point? I feel like I've seen the crime-fraud exception get invoked more with Trump than in all other criminal cases I have ever paid attention to combined.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #762 on: March 31, 2023, 09:09:39 PM »

Are there any good lawyers left who don't view Trump as a completely radioactive client at this point? I feel like I've seen the crime-fraud exception get invoked more with Trump than in all other criminal cases I have ever paid attention to combined.
Let me clearify "good". Reputable? Probably not. But if you charge enough fees and have a fancy enough office, you can negiotate with the DA
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #763 on: March 31, 2023, 09:10:54 PM »

Let me clearify "good". Reputable? Probably not. But if you charge enough fees and have a fancy enough office, you can negiotate with the DA

Okay, that's fair.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #764 on: March 31, 2023, 09:15:10 PM »

I met one of Trump's lawyers a few months ago — he came across as a pretty sharp guy, think he's probably a good lawyer. There's a fair number of criminal defense attorneys who genuinely subscribe to the everyone-deserves-a-defense idea.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #765 on: March 31, 2023, 11:29:19 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2023, 11:54:47 PM by Badger »

DOJ reportedly 'irritated' by Manhattan DA's decision to indict Trump because they believe hush money charges are weak and could damage more serious Georgia electoral fraud and January 6 probes'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11922971/Justice-Department-irritated-Manhattan-DAs-indictment-Donald-Trump.html

Yeah, that sounds like a bunch of BS. Each case has no bearing on the other, and whether or not one case is stronger than another doesn't affect anything. The Georgia and 1/6 probes are their own things, they will proceed with or without an indictment on this issue.

Yeah I don't know why so many people, including a lot on the left, are saying stuff like "Democrats are fools for doing the NY charges first"... what does that even mean? The DOJ, Georgia, and NY aren't coordinating stuff lol, the investigations have nothing to do with each other.
''

You're niave if you believe the bolded.

Even Democrat Andrew Cuomo said: "It’s a coincidence that Bragg goes after Trump and Tish James goes after Trump and Georgia goes after Trump? That’s all a coincidence? I think it feeds the cynicism and that’s the cancer in our body politic right now."

Good point. That is if the sources for your evidence of collusion weren't a combination of pulled out of your ass and "Dude, trust me."
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #766 on: March 31, 2023, 11:52:45 PM »

Apropos to this situation

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HeOVbeh2yr0&t=92s
Yoda
United States

« Reply #767 on: April 01, 2023, 01:01:51 AM »

I know it’s unconventional thinking but I don’t see this helping Trump’s campaign.

Sure, the cult will stick with him but swingy voters will abandon him even more. Maybe he wins the primary but this kills his chances in the general.

I hope I’m right anyway.

I think this is what most people mean when they say they think it will help trump, in that it will help him in the primary. At least I know that's what I mean. The victimhood/persecution complex on the right is just too strong and trump plays to it too well. But like you said, it hurts him in the general. The trial might not be over by Nov '24, but we'll almost certainly have heard damning testimony/evidence against trump by then. Not to mention he is likely to have been indicted 2-3 more times by then.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #768 on: April 01, 2023, 01:22:17 AM »

DOJ reportedly 'irritated' by Manhattan DA's decision to indict Trump because they believe hush money charges are weak and could damage more serious Georgia electoral fraud and January 6 probes'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11922971/Justice-Department-irritated-Manhattan-DAs-indictment-Donald-Trump.html

The story wouldn't surprise me if true. But it's not their call. Maybe they shouldn't have avoided taking a hard look at Trump's actions on/around J6 for a year, and then they could have gone first here.

This, and also it's pretty well know that if trump does end up getting indicted in GA, republicans - in a stunning act of corruption-in-waiting- are going to use their new power to replace the local prosecutor to protect him from the charges. For all the republican foaming at the mouth over the supposed "unconstitutional" and "corrupt" indictment, there's nothing more corrupt than the law they passed in GA in order to protect their criminal leader.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #769 on: April 01, 2023, 02:56:54 AM »

Sean Hannity is all on Fox News calling the indictment a sham that's why Trump supporters are the way they are what did he do to a female that Stormy Daniels and he has 3B Dollars and Don Jr calls it a Communist takeover and he never worked a day in his life to earn his 3B, that's why I say give blks reparations we deserve it
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #770 on: April 01, 2023, 10:17:41 AM »

But hot takes like ^this^ run into a big problem, we don’t actually know what Trump is being charged with so all these takes about the legality of paying off Stormy could be utterly irrelevant because there is a good chance based off of the 34 charges he’s getting charged for possibly financial fraud that the Stormy stuff lead back to
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #771 on: April 01, 2023, 10:18:15 AM »

One flaw in the irrespective defense, is that the hush money was paid coincident with the election, while risk of the exposure into the public square of the alleged Trump tryst had been pending for years. If Trump paid the hush money to protect his marriage or reputation irrespective of the campaign, why did he wait to pay it until it was campaign season? An answer will need to be provided that seems creditable to explain away the long hiatus. The irrespective issue is not a silver bullet defense ala John Edwards' love child hush money payment.

Did the WSJ address the above issue?

The best defense is the statute of limitations. The tolling of it while Trump was out of state given that his whereabouts was known at all times, I just don't think will fly, particularly on equitable grounds. Bragg is going to be very embarrassed if he gets blown out on the SOL issue, and an appellate court might take that up prior to trial, since it moots the whole case right out of the box.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #772 on: April 01, 2023, 10:37:13 AM »

One flaw in the irrespective defense, is that the hush money was paid coincident with the election, while risk of the exposure into the public square of the alleged Trump tryst had been pending for years. If Trump paid the hush money to protect his marriage or reputation irrespective of the campaign, why did he wait to pay it until it was campaign season? An answer will need to be provided that seems creditable to explain away the long hiatus. The irrespective issue is not a silver bullet defense ala John Edwards' love child hush money payment.

Did the WSJ address the above issue?

The best defense is the statute of limitations. The tolling of it while Trump was out of state given that his whereabouts was known at all times, I just don't think will fly, particularly on equitable grounds. Bragg is going to be very embarrassed if he gets blown out on the SOL issue, and an appellate court might take that up prior to trial, since it moots the whole case right out of the box.
But doesn’t Bragg in turn have the counter argument about the judicial systems views about charging a president with a crime meant he had to wait until Trump left?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #773 on: April 01, 2023, 10:48:01 AM »

All this Indictment means is that Trump indeed can be Prosecuted McConnell a major critic of Trump because his wife Elaine Chao was defamed when Trump said to a Chinese reporter go ask China on Covid was in Trump cabinet hasn't said anything on Indictment and neither has Scott he along with Josh Hawley are the most vulnerable Senators up

There are Fed crimes and Felonies coming on Docugate and J6 it's not just about campaign finance
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #774 on: April 01, 2023, 11:11:59 AM »

But hot takes like ^this^ run into a big problem, we don’t actually know what Trump is being charged with so all these takes about the legality of paying off Stormy could be utterly irrelevant because there is a good chance based off of the 34 charges he’s getting charged for possibly financial fraud that the Stormy stuff lead back to

^ this is a stretch. Yes - we won’t know the charges until Tuesday when they unseal the indictment. But the odds  of some phantom, out of nowhere finance fraud charge are slim. The newspapers have insider sources who are privy to details; the grand jury witnesses (like Cohen) have been free to talk. With all the attention given to the proceedings, we would have likely gotten word about this phantom out-of-nowhere financial fraud charge that nobody has suggested as a possibility (other than you)
But we have had rumblings this goes beyond Stormy and that this is going to go into the catch and kill scams he had with Pecker and other hush money payouts
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 100  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies