Wall Street Journal thinks readers are too stupid to understand meaning of "GOP" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:25:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wall Street Journal thinks readers are too stupid to understand meaning of "GOP" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wall Street Journal thinks readers are too stupid to understand meaning of "GOP"  (Read 1931 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: February 26, 2012, 11:23:03 PM »

When I first saw this (forum) headline, I first thought it was referring to the goals of the GOP--which actually makes sense since conservatives do try to manipulate issues to their advantage.

Oh great, we have degenerative ignorance now. The GOP acronym is all the prevents the confusion of the modern day GOP with Jefferon's "Republicans". Since academia has abandoned use of the term "Democratic-Republican" for the more histortically accurate designation of "Republican", this couldn't be worse for ensuring accurate knowledge of US political history. Tongue

Accurate knowledge of political history? Maybe but personally I find it inaccurate that we call these Republicans the Grand Old Party, instead of the grander and older Jeffersonians.

The name is allusion to the Grand Army of the Republic, the major veteran's organization of the Union Army of the Civil War.  That allusion is not something that is particularly relevant to today's politics and  certainly not appropriate for Southern Republicans.

Yes, but "Republican" loosely means "for the country" and "Democrat" loosely means "for the people" which does make sense especially relating to military policy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies