Are fat people (generally) to blame for being fat? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 01:04:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Are fat people (generally) to blame for being fat? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are fat people (generally) to blame for being fat?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Are fat people (generally) to blame for being fat?  (Read 4404 times)
Redalgo
United States

« on: July 21, 2012, 10:37:59 AM »

There is not an option for me to pick here that's suitable. Blame can be dolled out to the individual, firms, society at large, and to nobody at all (e.g. genetic predispositions). As is the case with most problems in society, it occurs on account of a converging of a multitude of factors, with nobody in the process being fully responsible for the outcomes. The respective strengths of those factors in bringing about the outcomes varies perhaps from one nation, area, or even individual to the next.

I also pretty firmly agree with Hagrid's sentiments, by the way.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »

I dunno. What Tweed is saying delves into the heart of the debate over whether people actually possess free will. I would not say his belief in this instance is ridiculous. Rather, it is simply not a perception compatible with the beliefs of our society as they've culturally evolved up to this point, in much the same sense as is arguing that God does not exist or all religious views are delusions.

If free will does not exist fat people are not actually responsible for their predicament, but despite that it may still be more useful for us to pretend like they are at least in part because of how it may positively affect human behavior. To be honest, the only thing I really consider controversial about this all is that people don't like to notice there is a gap between what is probably "true" in actually and what our society of individuals conditions itself to feel is "true" for whatever purpose, instead.

I do not know whether people have free will... but Tweed's response seems to me like a perfectly legitimate position to adopt assuming that he thinks we do not.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies