Any parting thoughts about Trump's reign as president? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:03:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Any parting thoughts about Trump's reign as president? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any parting thoughts about Trump's reign as president?  (Read 2517 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: May 04, 2021, 11:45:56 AM »

He was just utterly unsuited to leadership, unfit for the job. To a certain extent you can say that character is not as important as policy, but Trump's huge character flaws had huge costs to the country. America was very lucky in the first three years that there wasn't a major crisis, but the fourth year was an utter disaster for the country. Trump, by failing to rally the nation, undermining social distancing guidance and pressuring states into premature reopenings, cost perhaps hundreds of thousands of lives. I don't know about you, but for me this is his number one legacy. The Capitol Riot wasn't hugely consequential on its own, but it symbolizes how divided he left the nation and how harmful he was to democracy itself. Things will almost inevitably be better going forward, and of course already are, than when Trump left office with the nation divided, the economy suffering and over 3,000 deaths a day. Perhaps Biden will get the credit for that, he is doing a great job so far. I really hope he breaks the decline America seems stuck in and that Trump accelerated.

I'd argue that the "Trump's personality/Trump's policies" dichotomy people talk about is a false one. Personality issues with Trump like his personal corruption, demonization of his political opponents, and constant belittling of disfavored groups and demographics were also policy issues because they were just as much part of his vision for what American society ought to be like as were his judicial appointments and tax cuts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies