Should the amount of House representatives, and consequently EVs, increase? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:51:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Should the amount of House representatives, and consequently EVs, increase? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Select either yes or no, then how many House reps there should be.
yes

no

<550

550-600

600-650

650-700

700-750

750-800

800-850

>850

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Should the amount of House representatives, and consequently EVs, increase?  (Read 5985 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« on: January 29, 2017, 04:30:21 AM »

Should the United States House increase how many representatives there are (hasn't been done since the early 1900s), and consequently EVs? A major pro I could see in this is giving more "local" representation (i.e. some areas with lesser population could be made into their own district instead of being grouped with a region with a completely different demographic), but a major con would be having too many representatives.
EVs and representatives should be decoupled.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 08:40:11 PM »

Only with term limits.  Somebody please explain to me why it's acceptable for someone to have a combined 60 years in both houses?  There's other things in life to do. I'd support this with term limits and a limit on spending in federal campaigns.
Let me flip that on its head: Why is it acceptable to ban someone from running for office if their constituents like them?
What if the reason that most representatives get elected is that they get earmarks for pork-barrel projects? If they don't, they may face a challenger backed by the beneficiaries of the projects. Instead they get a comfortable position for life if they want, they get pampered by lobbyists.

It can be a corrupting system, and the representatives are no longer representative of their communities.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies