Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:32:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 78
Author Topic: Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]  (Read 301568 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: September 05, 2008, 06:49:41 AM »

Religion Remains Major Dividing Factor Among White Voters [5 September, 2008]

Patterns similar to 2004

http://www.gallup.com/poll/110053/Religion-Remains-Major-Dividing-Factor-Among-White-Voters.aspx

Gallup Daily Tracking Polling Results, by Church Attendance Among Non-Hispanic whites

Attend church weekly: Obama 26% (Kerry 27%) / McCain 65% (Bush 66%)

Attend church weekly/monthly: Obama 41% (Kerry 36%) / McCain 50% (Bush 62%)

Attend church seldom/never: Obama 51% (Kerry 53%) / McCain 39% (Bush 40%)

Based on weekly averages of Gallup Poll Daily tracking Sept. 1-3
CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll Oct 29-31, 2004

Dave
KeyKeeper
Turner22
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 2.09

« Reply #651 on: September 05, 2008, 07:19:55 AM »

We will know on Monday if John McCain had a good bump in the polls or not. Also the debates will play a big part in the polls too. So this thing is long from over.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #652 on: September 05, 2008, 11:55:43 AM »

The GOP is already completely behind McCain.... and most independents are smart enough to see through Palin's garbage. 

Yeah, because she's in your words "a dumb c*nt".

yup
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #653 on: September 05, 2008, 12:05:09 PM »

Friday - September 5, 2008

Obama - 48% (-1)
McCain - 44% (+2)

While the difference between today's result and Thursday's 49% to 42% lead for Obama is not statistically significant, some of the broader shifts seen over the past 10 days, spanning both party's national conventions, have been meaningful.

Support for Obama since just before the Democratic National Convention kicked off on Aug. 25 has ranged from 44% to 50%, while McCain's support has ranged from 41% to 46%. Whereas the race was initially tied at 45%, Obama pulled into an eight-point lead at several points over the course of his convention. It now appears the Republican National Convention may be helping McCain to recoup some of his losses, though with Obama's current four-point lead, the entire convention period to this point has still been a net plus for Obama. (To view the complete trend since March 7, 2008, click here.)

While both conventions are now over, measurement of public reaction to them is not. Results, based on interviewing conducted Sept. 2-4, include just one day of interviewing conducted after Wednesday night's widely viewed acceptance speech by McCain's vice presidential running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. Most interviewing Thursday night was conducted before McCain's acceptance speech, so Gallup Poll Daily tracking results will start to reflect its impact in Saturday's report. The full impact of the GOP convention on voter preferences will not be known until Monday's report, the first in which all interviews will have been conducted following the convention's conclusion.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #654 on: September 05, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »

It seems like Obama is holding up about as well as you could expect, so far.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #655 on: September 05, 2008, 01:19:53 PM »

No, that is only a one day sample after Palin's speech.

Monday for the bump, but check out the numbers for Thursday or Friday of next week.  We'll have some idea at this point.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #656 on: September 05, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »

No, that is only a one day sample after Palin's speech.

Monday for the bump, but check out the numbers for Thursday or Friday of next week.  We'll have some idea at this point.

All we need is a new CO poll in the next 2 weeks and PPP will provide one.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #657 on: September 05, 2008, 01:32:35 PM »

Ya, I agree with JJ on this point as to what and when to check.  Tuesday is also as good as Monday, really.

Strangely enough, I also do agree with him that there appears to be a continual mid-week/weekend bias for the two candidates, though I really have no clue how important it is.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #658 on: September 05, 2008, 01:46:40 PM »

Bush was elected by getting just about all of the Republican vote, and then a few independents and democrats. McCain can do the same, and win.

McCain pulling the same share of Democrats, Republicans and independents would mean he'd lose by a couple of points.

But I thought this is a "center right" country. Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #659 on: September 05, 2008, 01:48:23 PM »

Ya, I agree with JJ on this point as to what and when to check.  Tuesday is also as good as Monday, really.

Strangely enough, I also do agree with him that there appears to be a continual mid-week/weekend bias for the two candidates, though I really have no clue how important it is.

The weekend/weekday bounce seems limited to Gallup.  I think, based on that, it is their sample selection.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #660 on: September 05, 2008, 01:49:08 PM »

Question for those who know the history better than me: Has any candidate ever won an election in which they were tied or behind immediately after their own convention? I'm quite sure it's never happened, except possibly for Truman in 1948 (when polling was obviously not at the level of accuracy it is today).

I'd think this is basically McCain's goal at this point as to what kind of a bounce he needs.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #661 on: September 05, 2008, 02:00:14 PM »

Question for those who know the history better than me: Has any candidate ever won an election in which they were tied or behind immediately after their own convention? I'm quite sure it's never happened, except possibly for Truman in 1948 (when polling was obviously not at the level of accuracy it is today).

I'd think this is basically McCain's goal at this point as to what kind of a bounce he needs.

I think Reagan was behind in a number of polls after his convention. That said, the polls that year were very similar to this one with both candidates in the mid to low forties. I believe going into the debates Carter was up something like 47-43.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #662 on: September 05, 2008, 02:01:43 PM »

I think Obama will maintain a 2% lead coming out of this thing. That will mean that McCain's last oppurtunity is the debates. The only asset in the debates is Biden. The only liability, Palin.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #663 on: September 05, 2008, 02:11:07 PM »

I think it will be had to measure this.  Obama was tied, or down by 1-2 going into this.  He was up by between 0-8 points after the DNC, when Palin was announced and RNC started.

I think Reagan was behind in a number of polls after his convention. That said, the polls that year were very similar to this one with both candidates in the mid to low forties. I believe going into the debates Carter was up something like 47-43.

Reagan was at 45, Carter at 29, after the 1980 RNC; Carter had 39, Reagan 38, after the DNC.  It was, if anything, less clear than 2008.
KeyKeeper
Turner22
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 2.09

« Reply #664 on: September 05, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »

Also, not only do you have to look at National polls, but State polls too. Because it is all about the EV not the PV. I believe come Nov. 1st if McCain is with in 2% of Obama, Obama will not win the election.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #665 on: September 05, 2008, 02:36:12 PM »

Infomania: last few days were Obama +1, Obama +7 and Obama +4.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #666 on: September 05, 2008, 02:37:36 PM »

Sounds about right.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #667 on: September 05, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »

Sounds about right.

We had the CBS poll at +8 on 9/1.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #668 on: September 05, 2008, 02:41:59 PM »

Sounds about right.

We had the CBS poll at +8 on 9/1.

Right?  9/1 was a strong day for Obama in the tracking polls too (+11 on Rasmussen, +10 on Gallup)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #669 on: September 05, 2008, 02:42:23 PM »

Is that reverse order or actual order? (Was Obama +1 yesterday or Tuesday?)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #670 on: September 05, 2008, 02:43:41 PM »

The O+1 would have almost certainly been yesterday.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #671 on: September 05, 2008, 02:44:38 PM »

The O+1 would have almost certainly been yesterday.

Yeah, sorry.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #672 on: September 05, 2008, 03:11:41 PM »

I was referring to being behind immediately after the convention, not behind at any point after the convention.

Reagan had a pretty big convention bounce in the Gallup poll and had a pretty substantial lead at that point as I recall.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #673 on: September 05, 2008, 03:13:09 PM »

I think it will be had to measure this.  Obama was tied, or down by 1-2 going into this.  He was up by between 0-8 points after the DNC, when Palin was announced and RNC started.

Reagan was at 45, Carter at 29, after the 1980 RNC; Carter had 39, Reagan 38, after the DNC.  It was, if anything, less clear than 2008.

Ah, thanks. Last post was made before I read this one.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #674 on: September 05, 2008, 03:23:48 PM »

day-to-day, per 538:

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies