Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:49:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 78
Author Topic: Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]  (Read 301652 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1550 on: October 18, 2008, 12:08:11 PM »

Gallup
RV’s
Obama 50%(nc)
McCain 42%(-1)

LV’s Trad.
Obama 49%(nc)
McCain 47%(nc)

LV’s Expanded
Obama 51%(nc)
McCain 45%(nc

No change the past three days among the likely voter polls.

The Gallup website has expanded at -1,+1 for an Obama 4% lead
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1551 on: October 18, 2008, 12:11:49 PM »

Gallup
RV’s
Obama 50%(nc)
McCain 42%(-1)

LV’s Trad.
Obama 49%(nc)
McCain 47%(nc)

LV’s Expanded
Obama 51%(nc)
McCain 45%(nc

No change the past three days among the likely voter polls.

The Gallup website has expanded at -1,+1 for an Obama 4% lead

I still see it as 51-45. Hmm

EDIT- Nevermind there it is 50-46. Good news for MAC.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #1552 on: October 18, 2008, 12:13:22 PM »

I do not yet see any numbers posted on Gallup today. Where are you getting this?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1553 on: October 18, 2008, 12:15:13 PM »

I'd bet any sum of money that does not equal 20% of Obama's young primary voters.

I'll bet 20% of Obama's young (18-22) primary voters are not in the same precinct that were in last time.

That's retarded.  20% of his primary voters have not switched apartments since summer, that's a bet you would be certain to lose.  Anyway, it's impossible to convince J.J. anything ever, so let's just go back to Gallup.

I didn't say 20% of his primary voters, I said 20% of his young primary voters.  

There is no change in the likely voters for Gallup, but I'm not seeing the numbers on the website either.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1554 on: October 18, 2008, 12:17:10 PM »

Go to Gallup.com and look at the top under Gallup Daily. It shows all three polls.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #1555 on: October 18, 2008, 12:20:08 PM »

Got it. Weird that they didn't update it as they normally do.

Good news for McCain, especially since they noted in Wednesday's update that Tuesday (the day that fell off) was a very good sample for McCain. This one must have been even better.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1556 on: October 18, 2008, 12:21:04 PM »

Go to Gallup.com and look at the top under Gallup Daily. It shows all three polls.

It's still not up.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #1557 on: October 18, 2008, 12:23:12 PM »

It's not good for McCain, since now resgistered is even worse.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #1558 on: October 18, 2008, 12:23:12 PM »

Their regular update isn't posted for some reason, only the numbers as Rowan described.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1559 on: October 18, 2008, 12:28:33 PM »

It's not good for McCain, since now resgistered is even worse.

You're a pessimistic fool. RV's MEAN NOTHING. Likely voters polls are the only ones that matter genius.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #1560 on: October 18, 2008, 12:29:58 PM »

If you haven't noticed, I'm usually not pessimistic.

I now LVs are usually more important, but we don't know who the LVs are.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #1561 on: October 18, 2008, 12:31:03 PM »

When a know pro-McCain sample falls off and McCain gains 2 points among LVs, its not bad news.  Might now be ideal, but it sure points to at least a decent McCain sample. Plus, an O+3 average among LVs is the best its been thus far.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1562 on: October 18, 2008, 12:33:19 PM »

Which is why Gallup covers both bases. The expanded is the super high unprecedented turnout of blacks, youth etc. The traditional is the normal voters. Having both of those within 4 points is very good news.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1563 on: October 18, 2008, 12:36:14 PM »

Even if 20% of Obama's young primary voters have changed residences since then, it's obvious that not every single one has not re-registered, or even that a majority haven't. So Obama has not lost 20% of his young voters.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #1564 on: October 18, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »

Which is why Gallup covers both bases. The expanded is the super high unprecedented turnout of blacks, youth etc. The traditional is the normal voters. Having both of those within 4 points is very good news.

I know, but they aren't doing a very good job, if even the expanded is far more pro-McCain.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1565 on: October 18, 2008, 01:53:30 PM »

Even if 20% of Obama's young primary voters have changed residences since then, it's obvious that not every single one has not re-registered, or even that a majority haven't. So Obama has not lost 20% of his young voters.

BRTD, where did I say that there would be a 20% drop from the primaries.  I didn't.  I said that there could be a reduction, and that one reason is probably 20% have moved.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1566 on: October 18, 2008, 02:57:22 PM »

This is starting to get too close for comfort again, at least in the national tracking polls. It's nice to know that a lot of people have voted already at least though.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #1567 on: October 18, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »

This is starting to get too close for comfort again, at least in the national tracking polls. It's nice to know that a lot of people have voted already at least though.

Right, we don't need them changing their minds and voting McCain.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1568 on: October 18, 2008, 03:59:32 PM »

Keep looking for a trend.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1569 on: October 18, 2008, 04:11:25 PM »

This is starting to get too close for comfort again, at least in the national tracking polls.

don't worry, why would independents break for McCain after how erractic his campaign has been? 
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #1570 on: October 18, 2008, 04:14:09 PM »

Keep looking for a trend.

Huh? I don't get what you mean.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1571 on: October 18, 2008, 04:16:41 PM »

This is starting to get too close for comfort again, at least in the national tracking polls.

don't worry, why would independents break for McCain after how erractic his campaign has been? 

I tend to hold to that. The race has seen, since Obama secured the nomination, Obama lead in the polls generally (minus the GOP convention bounce). A 5 point lead is actually pretty good when you look at the last two elections; even further back if you exclude the strong third party elections of '92 and '96. Besides with early voting, why would someone who had done so respond to the question 'who are you going to vote for'? Even if they did they might actually be lying. (see the UK exit poll of 1992)
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #1572 on: October 18, 2008, 04:28:11 PM »

Because they like him or his policies better?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1573 on: October 18, 2008, 11:01:50 PM »

BRTD, where did I say that there would be a 20% drop from the primaries.  I didn't.  I said that there could be a reduction, and that one reason is probably 20% have moved.

Here's the argument in a nutshell:

J. J. (and others) says the traditional voter model is more accurate since youth never vote.
Lief points out there was a huge surge of turnout in the primaries.
J. J. argues some of those have moved and gives the 20% estimate.
Many point out anyone graduating college isn't so dumb they don't know how to re-register.
The other arguments that come that "some" have not, blah blah blah.

While probably a factor in the end equals a very small one and not alone enough reason to argue that there will be no increase in youth turnout after 2004 whatsoever (which is the basis of arguing the traditional model is the correct one.) It also ignores other factors such as same-day registration states, people registered since the primaries, people too young to vote in the primaries now 18, etc. Of course J. J. is a big fan of this type of grasping at straws (see Mormons in Colorado.) so it's hardly a surprise, but the argument that the young voters will never show up no matter what happens in primaries needs to be a bit bigger than this little nitpick.

BTW I'm one of the "20%" if we accept this figure as correct as I have moved since February, and I have re-registered, even though I don't have to since I live in a same day registration state.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1574 on: October 18, 2008, 11:34:08 PM »

Here's the argument in a nutshell:

J. J. (and others) says the traditional voter model is more accurate since youth never vote.
Lief points out there was a huge surge of turnout in the primaries.
J. J. argues some of those have moved and gives the 20% estimate.
Many point out anyone graduating college isn't so dumb they don't know how to re-register.
The other arguments that come that "some" have not, blah blah blah.

While probably a factor in the end equals a very small one and not alone enough reason to argue that there will be no increase in youth turnout after 2004 whatsoever (which is the basis of arguing the traditional model is the correct one.) It also ignores other factors such as same-day registration states, people registered since the primaries, people too young to vote in the primaries now 18, etc. Of course J. J. is a big fan of this type of grasping at straws (see Mormons in Colorado.) so it's hardly a surprise, but the argument that the young voters will never show up no matter what happens in primaries needs to be a bit bigger than this little nitpick.

BTW I'm one of the "20%" if we accept this figure as correct as I have moved since February, and I have re-registered, even though I don't have to since I live in a same day registration state.

BRTD, you are wrong in the summary.  I'm saying that there has been a low traditional youth turnout, and some of that will have an effect.  It's more structural.

The huge registration in the the one state I've looked at, PA, was before the primary.  There has a gain, but not a lot:

Latest figures (September 29)Sad

8.548.580 registered voters, of which

4.357.663 are Democrats (50.98%)
3.207.728 are Republicans (37.52%)
983.189 are Ind. or from other parties (11.50%)

Compared with the 2008 primary (April 17)Sad

8.328.123 registered voters, of which

4.200.109 are Democrats (50.43%)
3.186.057 are Republicans (38.26%)
941.957 are Ind. or from other parties (11.31%)

In PA, about 157.000 new Democrats have been registered.

Here are the numbers from 2006.

Compared with November 2006:

8.182.876 registered voters, of which

3.900.685 are Democrats (47.67%)
3.300.894 are Republicans (40.34%)
981.297 are Ind. or from other parties (11.99%)

Most of the "new" Democrats, about 300,000 came in prior to the primary, or a 2.76 percentage point gain to a 0.55 percentage point gain after the primary.

Now, you've posted on Tender Branson's thread, so you must have seen this.

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies