Blood, Sweat, and Gore Gameplay Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:33:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Blood, Sweat, and Gore Gameplay Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How many primary debates should there be?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Blood, Sweat, and Gore Gameplay Thread  (Read 18032 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« on: June 01, 2020, 11:11:17 AM »
« edited: June 01, 2020, 09:27:02 PM by KaiserDave »

A Healthy Montana: Universal Healthcare

Governor Brian Schweitzer announced today he is seeking a waiver from the Federal Government to establish a statewide single payer system based on nearby Saskatchewan, where the Canadian healthcare model was born. The Governor said that "healthcare should be a public good just like police, firefighters, and road transport. You ought to be safe at home, on the streets, but also in the Emergency Room, where simple operations can cripple finances forever for the uninsured." The plan is based on three fundamental principles.

• Eliminating Out of Pocket Expenses
  • Achieving Universal Coverage
  • Overall Cost Reduction

The Governor said that his plan would achieve highly affordable if not free coverage for Montanans, for every Montanan, and would reduce overall healthcare spending in the state. He emphasized that permissions from the Gore Administration would allow for the importation of Canadian prescription drugs to reduce costs, and emphasize negotiation on drug prices and limiting non emergency procedures sure as MRIs as ways to cut costs. The plan preserves private insurance but the Governor said, "Blue Cross is gonna be very lonely." The proposal is still being churned into legislative language by Democrats in the State Legislature, and while odds are shaky for its passage as it stands the Governor is adamant that its passage is a good thing for Montana and will campaign for it.

Wikimedia Commons

Governor of Montana Sells Single Payer to Iowans

The Governor of Montana, Brian Schweitzer candidate for President toured Iowa recently promoting universal, single payer healthcare. His plan would provide little to no cost healthcare for his state and he says would reduce overall healthcare costs. Effectively, it's a state run health insurance plan, it doesn't eliminate private insurance, but would provide what he says is a far more appetizing alternative. He spoke at public meetings, local Democratic Party clubs, farmers associations, and at the many social functions of an Iowa winter promoting what he says "goes above and beyond any proposal made by any politician since Harry Truman." He says that while it's starting in Montana, "this plan is not Montana only. Every American deserves healthcare as a public good. It's just decent government, looking out for the little guy. Whenever I hear folks saying we can stick with the status quo, or that small changes will make the difference, no no that dog don't hunt. Americans deserve healthcare, and in this great country nobody should be bleeding out cash for simple procedures." He plans to tour the first in the nation caucus in all of its 99 counties, but also plans speeches on Single Payer healthcare in New York and in Vermont with newly elected Senator Bernie Sanders who has announced his support for the Governor's progressive, prairie populist, campaign.

Schedule

(just to sort everything out chronologically)
(Unscheduled days are day to day Governor activities)

February 11th: Governor Schweitzer Pitches Single Payer Plan
February 13th: Governor Schweitzer appears on Face the Nation to promote his plan
February 15th-20th: Governor Schweitzer tours Montana to promote his plan
February 22nd: Governor Schweitzer muses on Hardball about a potential Presidential run
February 25th: Governor Schweitzer gives speech in Denver on the Benefits of Single Payer
February 27th: Governor Schweitzer meets with MSU students to promote his plan
March 2nd: Governor Schweitzer meets with Fmr. Labor Secretary Robert Reich to discuss Single Payer Healthcare
March 4th: Governor Schweitzer Speaks to NRA Chapter in Montana reinforcing his commitment to gun rights
March 6th: Governor Schweitzer visits the White House to thank President Gore for his Waiver Grant
March 8th: Governor Schweitzer visits Des Moines to promote Single Payer
March 11th: Governor Schweitzer Goes on Trade Mission to South Africa to Discuss Mining; Meets President Mbeki
March 15th: Governor Schweitzer Announces Presidential Campaign: The People's Democrat
March 16th: Governor Schweitzer goes on The Situation Room to discuss his new campaign
March 17th-23rd: Governor Schweitzer begins 99 County Tour of Iowa
March 25th: Schweitzer for President Website and Youtube is launched
March 28th: Governor Schweitzer flies to Burlington to meet with Senator Sanders and receive his endorsement
April 3rd-8th: Governor Schweitzer continues 99 County Tour of Iowa
April 15th-20th: Governor Schweitzer continues 99 County Tour of Iowa
April 22nd: Governor Schweitzer speaks in New York on Single Payer Healthcare
April 24th: Governor Schweitzer appears on CNN Roundtable debating healthcare policy with Conservative pundits
April 26th: Governor Schweitzer gives full TV interview (@Cabbage Wink )
April 28th: Governor Schweitzer visits and participates in New Hampshire shooting range
May 3rd-10th: Governor Schweitzer continues 99 County Tour of Iowa
May 12th: Governor Schweitzer visits UAW Hall in Cleveland to Denounce NAFTA
May 15th: Governor Schweitzer visits SEIU Hall in Philadelphia to Denounce Right to Work and to Support a 10.10 Minimum Wage
May 21st: Governor Schweitzer holds a Major Launch Rally in Denver aiming to pull in big crowds to organize and get good press
May 24th: Governor Schweitzer rolls out plans for investment in Early Childhood Education and Universal Pre Kindergarten in Minneapolis
May 28th-29th: Governor Schweitzer tours the North Country in New Hampshire to roll out his support for rural hospitals and investment

Senator Sanders Endorsement

Wikimedia Commons

There's very few people like Brian in the American political scene, very few. He's one of the few people who are willing to call out the real injustices in the system. And he's one of the very few who's done something about it. Now why do people do nothing, well the special interests, Wall Street, the military production companies, the pharmaceutical industry they've corrupted our politics with their money. People wonder, well why do politicians lie, say one thing and do another. Follow the money! They're taking the money of the special interests. It happens in both parties, Republicans like Dick Cheney who are in the pockets of Halliburton, and Raytheon, we're very fortunate President Gore beat him. But back in the 1970s the Democrats used to be a very progressive party, they cared more about ordinary people. Now there's more big banks, special interest money, too much of it. Look at the recent healthcare fight, President Gore is trying to make things better and for that I applaud him and especially on his environmental protection, but the more progressive voices and their proposals were barely considered. Brian is different, he's going out there making the argument for progressive policies. For single payer, universal healthcare, for standing up for ordinary Americans from the big companies in this country, and these job killing trade deals. That's the reason I give him my full support for President. He is the People's Democrat, and he can change this country.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 07:37:48 PM »

Brian Schweitzer Ad: The People's Democrat

Aired in Iowa, Michigan, and New Hampshire

Brian Schweitzer isn't from the Washington political scene. He's from Havre Montana, the grandson of immigrants. He spent his days fishing and hunting, and had a passion for the sciences.

Wikimedia Commons

Brian went to Libya, and Saudi Arabia to apply his knowledge, leading irrigation projects to support local communities. He went into business, learning how to irrigate water for small towns, not filibustering legislation.

Wikimedia Commons

But when Brian came back to Montana, he found the same poverty and unfairness he found abroad back at home. He resolved to do something about it, he worked to create good paying jobs in business, and ran for political office. When he became Governor of Montana in 2004, he committed to fight for ordinary Americans. He invested in good paying jobs, public schools, energy jobs, all without a sales tax. Every time Republicans tried to sell out Montanans to special interests or bankrupt the state, Brian beat them. Every. Single. Time.

Wikimedia Commons

Now he's running for President to change Washington. He's running to end the broken trade deals that have cost America jobs. He's running to stop the politics of usual that makes Wall Street rich and Main Street poor. He's running to guarantee healthcare for all. Brian is the the people's Democrat running for President, and he's not afraid to tell it like it is.

I'm Brian Schweitzer, and I approve this message because the American people are worth fighting for.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 10:37:06 AM »

Defense.gov/Public Domain

In Early States, Montana Governor Pushes Back on Gun Control

While national Democrats have always pushed for federal gun control, including bans on assault weapons, bans on high capacity magazines, opposition to open carry, and even handgun bans, Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer thinks differently. He's running for President on a populist, progressive platform but he's gone against the grain on gun control. He's spoken to the National Rifle Association, and said that he "supports the 2nd Amendment entirely as a fundamental right of American citizenship." He's often spoke about his love of hunting and his support of gun owners. In rural Iowa and New Hampshire, where even Democrats are often armed and many are NRA members, Brian has been sure to discuss this issue. He said at one Iowa roundtable that, "responsible, law abiding gun owners should not have their rights violated by an overbearing federal government." At an NRA meeting he said, "a DHS registry of firearms is a dangerous dangerous thing." In New Hampshire he pushed back on Senator Clinton's plan on reimplementing the Assault Weapons Ban. He said, "I oppose it because it violates the rights of individuals who follow the law every day and are responsible gun owners." However, he made sure to state his total support for background checks. He said in Iowa that, "no criminal, ill, or otherwise dangerous individual should ever get their hands on firearms, handgun, rifle, anything." His website includes a strong support for the NICS and he's constantly stated his support for background checks. He noted in Iowa, "if we get all these prisoners back on the streets with hard drug histories, you can bet we're gonna need an operating background check system."

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 08:05:04 PM »

Original Content

Brian Schweitzer Supports Partial Birth Abortion Ban

At a roundtable in rural Iowa, Brian Schweitzer declared his support for a Partial Birth Abortion Ban. The position is universally popular amongst Republicans, less so among Democrats but its still an issue where most agree. The procedure is not very common, but it is not very popular either. In rural Iowa, home to many "ancestral Democrats" and moderates in the party, the Governor of Montana said, "I believe in a woman's right to choose, however, I just know, and so do ya'll that this just ain't right, and Americans, heck most Democrats agree." Brian Schweitzer's website lists his opposition to Partial Birth Abortion, with an exception for the mother's life being at risk. This proposal is aimed to appeal to wide swaths of moderate, even conservative Democrats, while the Governor's more progressive economic and healthcare policies are meant to appeal to liberal and progressive voters. On other abortion matters, the Governor is largely pro-choice.

Wikimedia Commons

Brian Schweitzer Slams NAFTA

At roundtables and campaign events throughout Iowa, as well as in Union Halls in Philadelphia and Cleveland Governor Schweitzer has staked out a maverick position on trade. Free trade has become the consensus in the upper echelons in both parties, but Brian Schweitzer is challenging it. He's called NAFTA a "sellout to corporate CEOs." He's called it a job killer, and has called for it to be seriously renegotiated or killed outright if need be. He's echoed the concerns of unions, and of farmers who oppose the deal. He said in Cleveland, "it's clear folks, you go state to state, 20,000 jobs lost here, 40,000 here, 100,000 here. What we need is high paying union jobs, we won't get that with NAFTA or with NAFTA Democrats. I believe we need a people's democrat, who says yes, there is a limit on unregulated trade." He's called for major investments in public works, hiring more teachers, and increases in domestic energy production to boost job numbers. He has also said, "President Gore wants jobs, of course, but I highly encourage him to reconsider this bad bad deal. It's a good deal for Wall Street yes, but a raw deal for the American middle class." Governor Schweitzer is looking to distinguish himself in a crowded primary with maverick positions to attract all wings of the party.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 12:00:54 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 01:53:02 PM by KaiserDave »

Schweitzer Campaign Strategy

Governor Brian Schweitzer has hired a full campaign strategy team, including Tad Devine, Tom Vilsack (reserved endorsement) and Bernie Sanders to assist in his victory for the Democratic nomination. They have developed a comprehensive strategy to deliver victory in early primary states, and build a broad coalition to make Governor Schweitzer the Democratic nominee. The campaign is focusing broadly on New Hampshire and Iowa, while relegating South Carolina and Nevada to lesser positions. However the strategy is more specifically implemented as well. At most campaign stops surrogates will be utilized.

• Appealing to Progressive Voters on Brian's Single Payer Proposal and Anti-NAFTA Position
  • Appealing to Moderates and Conservatives on Brian's Gun Position and Partial Birth Abortion Ban
  • Appealing to Rural Voters on Guns, Energy, and Rural Infrastructure as well as Montana background
  • Appealing to Urban Voters on Healthcare and Brian's vast education record
  • Appealing to Suburban Voters on Brian's vast education record, Energy Independence, and Bipartisan Credentials (Brian's LG is a Republican that he picked)

The strategy is designed to win the first two primary states, and give Governor Schweitzer the momentum he needs to become at least, competitive in every single state.

Ballotpedia

Schweitzer Radio Interview

Host: Welcome back to KXEL Waterloo/Cedar Rapids, we've got a very special guest for everybody. Presidential candidate, Governor of Montana Brian Schweitzer! How's it going Governor?

Brian Schweitzer: Thanks (host first name), well I'm well. Getting to know the state of Iowa pretty well, and I think I'm enjoying it. It's not unlike home.

Host: Why's that?

Brian Schweitzer: Well when I opened the car door for the first time, after pushing it past a snowbank I nearly got nicked with hail! But you know we're not unlike, the hunting is good, the nature's boundless, and the people got good common sense. I think it's good that the first caucus is her because Iowans have great perception to see who is and who isn't.

Host: Well Governor, we've got some listener questions coming, but first, why are you running for the hardest most grueling job in the world?

Brian Schweitzer: Well I'm concerned where this country is headed. When I see how childish Washington is, or rather how corrupt it can be, where big oil, big pharma, big banks run the show and small town America gets the finger. This is a problem in both parties, both parties have a problem with big money and with single minded partisan thinking. I think President Gore has certainly done well to keep our country safe from right wing radicals, but I think we're moving off course in some respects. Then I look at Montana, where in just two years we've got wages up by 15 thousand, where we've expanded early childhood education, we're getting those domestic energy sources but protecting our natural parks for hunters and fisherman, and yes if all goes well we'll have universal healthcare, I think yes we can do better. So here I am, running as the people's democrat.

Host: Well we're gonna go to listeners now, we've got Jessie from Waterloo, Jessie?

Jessie: Governor, how will you pay for your single payer proposal? I've heard on the news it could cost trillions in new taxes???

Brian Schweitzer: Don't worry Jesse, that's never going to happen. We can do it in Montana by cutting administrative costs left and right, importing Canadian drugs, and allowing Blue Cross to continue to operate, and if the State Legislature sees the wisdom in it, I believe they'll be voting this month, we'll get universal healthcare. And this is all without a statewide sales tax. If elected I'll look to implement comprehensive healthcare reform on the national level and encourage states to develop systems that work for them, I hope its single payer. I think Gorecare is a start, but it has problems in regards to Medicare, as well as how much big pharma is gonna take off the gravy train of government. I would implement an affordable public option to compete with private insurance as a start, and all without a cent more paid by middle class taxpayers.

Host: Now we have Herman from Iowa City.

Herman: Yes, uh, the last time I voted for a democrat party candidate was uhh, Jimmy Carter. Why are you different sir? I hear all these liberals and left wing uh policies, like releasing all druggies, that's not democrat that's crazy. Why are you different?

Brian Schweitzer: I like that question Herman because it speaks to me in particular, before I was elected Governor of Montana we hadn't had a Democratic Governor in 20 years. I won because I said, we have these common problems, low wages, expensive prescription drugs, low access to kindergarten, let's fix them. So me and a Republican teamed up won the race and we got to work. Now our prescription drugs are cheaper, our wages are higher, we have more access to kindergarten, and Montana is moving forward. When it comes to how I'm different on policy you know I keep saying this but I'm not ashamed of supporting gun rights. I'm a gun owner, I'm a hunter, I'm a fisherman and I'm gonna say it. I think we need strong background checks, but I think otherwise we gotta leave responsible gun owners alone. And Herman you can bet if we get millions of drug criminals back on the streets we're gonna need background checks and we're gonna need armed and trained gun owners. But if I win that's not going to happen.

Schedule

June 2nd: Governor Schweitzer rolls out national energy strategy in Des Moines Iowa

Quote from: Schweitzer Energy Strategy
Main Points
  • Energy Independence by 2016
  • Cut Red Tape for new Natural Gas and Oil Drilling
  • New Funding for Clean Coal Research and Carbon Sequestration
  • Tax Credits for Wind, Solar, and Hydroelectric Energy
  • Biofuel and Ethanol Subsidies
  • Protection of Public Lands

June 6th-13rd: Governor Schweitzer continues 99 County Tour of Iowa
June 17th-20th: Governor Schweitzer conducts 10 County Tour of New Hampshire
June 23rd: Governor Schweitzer gives peech in Boston on Liberty and the Dangers of a Security State
June 25th: Governor Schweitzer pickets with Striking UAW Workers in Portland Oregon
June 27th: Governor Schweitzer holds major Rally in Bethlehem Pennsylvania
June 30th: Governor Schweitzer goes on Fox News Sunday to make his case to Republicans
July 2nd: Governor Schweitzer meets with AFL-CIO Leadership to discuss labor policy
July 4th: Governor Schweitzer declares on the fourth of July that America must "declare its independence from petro dictators."
July 8th-14th: Governor Schweitzer ends 99 County Tour of Iowa, ends with Major Rally in Des Moines
July 17th: Governor Schweitzer lays out tax plan in Detroit
Quote from: Schweitzer Tax Plan
Main Points
  • Expanding Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit
  • Eliminate corporate loopholes such as carried interest, and preferred capital gains, mortgage interest deduction
  • Implement Buffet Rule
  • Major Savings for Middle and Lower Class Americans through tax cuts
  • More Funding for the FBI to crack down on tax evasion
July 20th-24th: Governor Schweitzer conducts 10 County Tour of New Hampshire
July 26th-29th: Barnstorming the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 10:27:49 AM »

Governor Schweitzer Town Hall Answers

Image Modified by Myself

Opening Statement

Well thanks Tim for having us out here. I'm just disappointed you wouldn't let me bring jag out on stage. Where are our dog people out here? (crowd cheers) I'm happy to out here Tim in wonderful Ames. I've been to Ames, and soon every county in this great state. And you know I'm meeting a lot of people who are concerned about this country's direction. Republicans, Independents, and a lot of Democrats are concerned about where this country is headed. You can bet we're doing better then we were in 1992, and we've made progress since 2000. We've put the winner take all economics of Bush behind us and we've done more for middle class families, but we all know that it ain't all peace and prosperity in this country. Gas prices are up, economic growth is stagnant, and Americans watch as more of our freedoms are whittled away.

That's why I'm running as the people's democrat. We need a nominee who's actually going to go out there in red state America, in purple state America to make the case for pro working families, pro jobs, populist policies. If we don't, I fear we will lose in November. And we all know if George Allen or Bobby Jindal gets in the saddle we know what the risk are, banker's bonuses will be up you can bet, but we won't get higher wages, we won't get lower gas prices, and we won't get a President for the people. That's why I'm in this race.

General Questions

Typical political wisdom would say that after 16 years of Democratic control in the White House, that the American people would opt for a Republican candidate. How are you best equipped to win over independents and Republicans to keep the Democrats in the White House for another 4 years?

I love this question Tim. Because I think I'm uniquely suited to build that winning coalition. When I ran for Governor in 2004 I teamed up with a common sense Republican to push for policies to help ordinary Montanans. Montana isn't a blue state, often it's very red. But we made the case for universal healthcare, for investment in early childhood education, we went out to town's with three dozen people but we fought for every vote because every American is worth fighting for. And we won.

If we run in 2008 that everything is fine, we will lose. We need to make the case to small town America that we're on their team, that in impoverished towns, in the places where despair is winning, we have to make the case for change. That's why I support single payer healthcare, why I support making this country energy independent once and for all, and why I attack corruption wherever I go.

I'm running on change. If you believe wages are too low, I'm your guy. If you believe gas prices are too high, I'm your guy. If you believe healthcare costs are to high, I'm your guy. If you believe that graduation rates are too low, I'm your guy. And if you believe that government should be of the people, by the people, and for the people, and not for Pfizer and Petro-dictators, then folks I am your guy. 

In 2006, Congress repealed Don't Ask, Don't Tell which did not allow gay, bisexual, or transgender people to serve in the military. Do you agree with this action by Congress, and if elected, would you be in favor of repealing the Defense of Marriage Act?

I think it's great that Congress repealed Don't Ask, Don't Tell. If someone is willing to bleed for our country, serve our flag, our people, to put their life on the line for all of us, it doesn't matter a bit who they love. It doesn't matter, and as long as anyone is embodying the service and patriotism that is so crucial to our military, I don't care if they're gay or straight.

As for marriage I support the Defense of Marriage Act. I do not believe in redefining marriage, marriage I believe is between a man and a woman, most Americans agree. I oppose Federal efforts to redefine marriage, and so I support the Defense of Marriage Act. But I do believe entirely that gay couples deserve the same legal and civil protections as straight couples. That's the reason I support civil unions, it has the same rights without redefining marriage in our laws. But Washington Republicans like George Allen are obsessed with writing their definition of marriage into the constitution, and trample all over the states. I oppose that too, marriage should be up to the states, and Congress should focus on creating jobs instead.

Some critics of President Gore have said that the Department of Homeland Security isn't needed because there have only been small terror attacks, which aren't worthy of creating a whole new federal government department. Where do you stand on the Department of Homeland Security?

I'm gonna say something that might annoy some folks in Washington. I'm not so sure it's the right call Tim. You can bet I oppose terrorism, and I believe we ought to give local law enforcement the support they need to de-radicalize potential converts, arrest suspects, and stop the flow of bomb materials from abroad. But I'm not sure we need a new government security department, I'm worried about our liberties Tim. Do we need more surveillance, more federal powers over our lives? What's next, spying on innocent Americans? I support the Department for now, but if I'm elected, I'm gonna take a good hard look at what they're doing, and whether it's good for the country.

But I'm gonna tell you a different way we can fight terrorism. We can become energy independent, when we buy all that foreign oil from the petro dictators who does it trickle down to? Where does all that wealth go? I can tell you, it goes down to terror groups. When we buy Arabian oil, you can bet that there's gonna be people in government sympathetic to these groups and they kick back a few million to Osama Bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri who then use that money to attack the United States. Our dependence on middle eastern oil is a national security crisis, and we ought to kick our addiction to foreign oil which I'll make a priority on day one.

Specific Question

Some on the left have criticized your position on gun control. You have an A rating from the NRA. Can you elaborate more on your position on guns?

You bet Tim. Yes I'm a gun owner, hunter, fisherman and I oppose gun control. And I believe this party can be the party against federal overreach on the rights of this nations millions of responsible law abiding gun owners, let me tell you why.

Millions of Americans responsibly own firearms, they use it for personal defense, hunting, or just for an antique collection. They participate in shooting clubs, or gather to defend isolated communities where calls to police take an hour or more to follow through. That's their right in our constitution, and I believe that they ought to be free from Uncle Sam coming down and telling them what's what. If we're the party of the little guy, we gotta be the party of the little guy.  I know folks will disagree with me and I respect that, but that's how I feel and you know I gotta stick to my guns. I can tell you I do support background checks, and I'm never gonna tell you that the mentally ill or criminal should ever get their hands on firearms.

I say we gotta be the party of rights. You have a right to a government that represents you and not special interests, you have a right to healthcare, you have a right to free speech, you have a right to serve in our military regardless of sexuality, you have a right to vote free from intimidation, and yes, you have a right to keep and bear arms.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 07:30:11 PM »

Image Modified by Myself

Schweitzer Slams Partisan Republicans

Governor Schweitzer slammed the partisan games being played by the House Republicans at a campaign stop in Iowa. The main thrust of his speech in rural Iowa was on gun rights, and the rights of hunters and fisherman to public lands, but he eventually spoke on the new investigations led by Steve King into potential weapons of mass destruction in Ba'athist Iraq and potential in. Brian Schweitzer did not mince words when he slammed the inaction, partisanship, and hackery of the GOP investigation.

Quote from: Brian Schweitzer
It makes me mad folks. It makes me mad. The price of gas is gonna be over 3 bucks a gallon, we're losing jobs, wages are stagnant, but Steve King he has his priorities in order he says. He thinks need a Congressional investigation into chemical and nuclear weapons in Iraq, that so far no evidence suggest  exist. But why would they do something so foolish? Well folks they know exactly what they're doing, we all know how Washington works. I don't put it past some of Washington's creatures to fudge the numbers, and get this country into a large scale war. I believe in protecting this country folks. But do we protect this countries by sending thousands of American boys to die in the desert? (crowd says NO) No not at all. We gotta take the petro dictators, like Saddam Hussein, biggest weapon against us. Our reliance on their crude oil. We gotta make ourselves energy independent! But Steve King and George Allen would prefer to fight a war in the middle east. Maybe it's for the benefit of Raytheon and Lockheed? I wouldn't put i past them! But we gotta vote them out Iowa! We gotta vote them out, and in November we will and we will change this country!

Iowa continues to be a hotbed of activity for the Schweitzer campaign, where volunteering and fundraising in the state has been a big priority. The Governor has visited the state often.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 11:55:14 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2020, 12:35:14 PM by KaiserDave »

Schweitzer Campaign Strategy

Governor Brian Schweitzer sees the Daschle endorsement of Clinton as a concern, but overall feels that his campaign is well positioned to build a broad and winning coalition. Governor Schweitzer is positioning himself as the anti establishment candidate with appeals to all sections of the party, he rejects the Status Quo candidacy of Hillary Clinton, the far left nature of the Lee campaign, in favor of a populist appeal to all voters. The campaign is focusing broadly on New Hampshire and Iowa, while relegating South Carolina and Nevada to lesser positions. However the strategy is more specifically implemented as well. At most campaign stops suitable surrogates will be utilized, even if not directly mentioned in schedule.

• Appealing to Progressive Voters on Brian's Single Payer Proposal and Anti-NAFTA Position
  • Appealing to Moderates and Conservatives on Brian's Gun Position and Partial Birth Abortion Ban
  • Appealing to Rural Voters on Guns, Energy, and Rural Infrastructure as well as Montana background
  • Appealing to Urban Voters on Healthcare and Brian's vast education record
  • Appealing to Suburban Voters on Brian's vast education record, Energy Independence, and Bipartisan Credentials (Brian's LG is a Republican that he picked)
  • Rejecting Hillary Clinton as establishment, status quo, imply corruption is possible
  • Rejecting Barbara Lee as too far left, attack recreational marijuana legalization
  • Make an effort to dominate local media coverage

The strategy is designed to win the first two primary states, and give Governor Schweitzer the momentum he needs to become at least, competitive in every single state.

Ballotpedia

Montana Governor Vetoes GOP Malpractice Bill

The Governor of Montana and candidate for President made a right show out of his veto of a Republican malpractice bill. The bill was a Republican answer to Schweitzer's single payer proposal, which was voted down by a strong majority last month. Schweitzer has attempted to turn defeat into victory by making a show out of his veto of the GOP bill. The GOP bill, rifled through the state legislature by Republicans would make it harder to sue for medical malpractice. It was as Republicans described it, "an effort to cut the red tape out of the healthcare business as opposed to the Governors red tape nightmare." The Governor took the bill outside after its passage, where a large crowd was gathered with local and national press. The Governor gave a speech reinforcing his progressive bona fides and condemned the state GOP as "taking the side of the out of state healthcare industry over patients and Montanans." He then nailed the bill to a board, and as the crowd hooted, cheered, and hollered, took a red hot poker spelling out "VETO" and burned it into the bill. The image and video has already become widespread on the internet, and has appeared on TV news and late night shows. Stephen Colbert on his parody show The Colbert Report had a segment on it feigning dismay. The event has certainly made headlines for this presidential candidate.

Schedule

August 3rd: Governor Schweitzer lays out foreign policy vision at the Council on Foreign Relations building in New York

Quote from: Schweitzer Foreign Policy Vision
Main Points
  • Support for NATO and Georgia
  • Achieve Energy Independent to reduce power of middle east dictators
  • Work with the International Community to Achieve Facts on Saddam Hussein
  • Label China a Currency Manipulator, contain their economic expansion
  • Economic Isolation of Afghanistan
  • Avoid Costly Land Wars

August 8th-16th: Governor Schweitzer barnstorms southeast Iowa
August 20th: Governor Schweitzer holds major rally in Los Angeles
August 21st: Governor Schweitzer holds rally in Knoxville
August 25th: Governor Schweitzer holds rally with Tom Vilsack in Des Moines
August 28th: Governor Schweitzer holds rally in Brooklyn
September 3rd: Governor Schweitzer goes on The Colbert Report as a follow up to Colbert's segment on his vetoes
September 4th: Campaign Facebook is launched
September 6th: Governor Schweitzer holds meet and greets in southeast New Hampshire
September 8th: Governor Schweitzer lays out education plan in Miami
Quote from: Schweitzer Education Plan
Main Points
  • Increase Teacher Pay
  • Reject Standardized test and federal standards
  • More funding for public school materials
  • Evaluate students through growth, not proficiency
  • More Funding for vocational skills in high school
September 14th-18th: Governor Schweitzer conducts 10 County Tour of New Hampshire
September 20th-21st: Governor Schweitzer tours southern West Virginia
September 22nd: Governor Schweitzer holds rally in Charleston South Carolina
September 23rd: Governor Schweitzer holds major rally in Las Vegas Nevada
September 26th-30th: Governor Schweitzer tours central Iowa

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 05:53:18 PM »

Gov. Schweitzer Debate Answers
Image Modified by Myself

Opening Statement

Well I want to thank the South Carolina State University here for hosting this debate and I would like to thank Tom for being here to moderate.

My name is Brian Schweitzer, and I have had the honor and privilege of being Governor of Montana. But before that I hadn't spent two decades lounging in Congress. I'm a businessman, I spent years abroad in Libya and Saudi Arabia developing irrigation projects and learning Arabic. I learn what people out in the real world need and deserve from well, people, not from the Washington/K Street circuit.

I ran for Governor because politicians in Helena were putting their reelection before people, and partisanship before policy. I'm running for President for the same reason, politicians in both parties have forgotten about main street America. While politicians tweak with subcommittees and regulatory bodies, average Americans are living paycheck to paycheck, and while politicians host donors for drinks, gas prices soar. It's time we end this cycle of corruption that leaves average Americans behind, it's time we change Washington for the better and we stand up for people.

I'm running for President because its time that Main Street America, the people of this great country have someone who isn't afraid to stand up to the powers that be for them. That's why I'm running, and that's why I believe I will win.

Personal Question

Well maybe it's unconventional Tom but I don't think one has much to do with the other. For me it's not hard to square it, thousands of Montanans and millions of Americans including many right here in South Carolina are responsible, law abiding gun owners. I don't believe we need federal powers, or a Department of Homeland Security coming down and making problems for them.

That doesn't stop me from believing that healthcare should be a right in this country. That nobody should die because they can't afford healthcare, that nobody should be forced to pay out thousands on the operating table. Shelly from Muscatine, a delightful little girl, her family has to pay almost thousands each month just to pay for her critical living saving medication. I don't believe that should exist in this country. I don't believe Tom, a wonderful older gentleman I had the pleasure of meeting here in South Carolina should have to pay a healthcare premium that spikes every year. That's why I believe in single payer, universal healthcare. And yeah like other Americans, I own firearms. 

Closing Statement

Folks, many people have said that Democrats are the underdogs this year. There's a reason for that. People in America are looking for something new, for change. You can bet we've made progress but too many Americans are struggling while Wall Street rakes in record profits. We need to as a party, to speak to average Americans stuck in a rut, stuck because the plant shut down, stuck because healthcare costs go up every year, and stuck because government doesn't represent them anymore.

That's why I'm running, as a people's Democrat not running for any special interest, or any partisan agenda, I'm running because when I go out to Main Street America, people don't feel represented in government, or worse they feel like they are held in contempt. I'm running to change that, and to build a government for, of, and by the people.

Thank you South Carolina, I hope to earn your vote, and God bless!

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 10:48:38 AM »

Wikimedia Commons

Brian Schweitzer Slams Hillary Clinton
Governor Brian Schweitzer of Montana, Democrat running for President has criticized Senator Clinton while campaigning in New Hampshire and Iowa. He said to one New Hampshire reporter that, "Hillary Clinton apparently thinks she can wrap this thing up in October, while I got something to tell her, this ain't a coronation, it's a primary and I'll see her on the debate stage." The campaign has begun to use messaging hitting Clinton as an establishment, status quo candidate who will be unable to win in November or disputing that she is entirely honest with voters. In Iowa Governor Schweitzer asked the question, "what did she promise Senator Daschle and Lincoln, I don't know but I can bet ya'll want to know!"

Other than this the Schweitzer campaign has had different attacks on the Senator. They've overall painted her as a candidate of the status quo, when Americans are looking for change. Governor Schweitzer said at an Iowa campaign event with local party organizers, "if we run on that everything is good and we just gotta keep going along we will lose in November, we gotta promise people that they're going to see real, tangible changes in their lives, and that we the Democrats are the ones fighting for it cause we all know it isn't George Allen who's fighting for us. But it'll be George Allen in the White House if we nominate a status quo candidate."

Schedule

October 3rd-6th: Tour of Central South Carolina
October 8th: Rally in Richmond Virginia
October 12th: Rally in Peoria Illinois
October 16th: Major Rally in Dallas Texas
October 20th-24th: Barnstorming Rio Grande River Valley
October 28th-30th: 10 County Tour of New Hampshire

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 09:53:36 PM »

Brian Schweitzer Debate Responses

Opening Statement

Well Wolf I'm happy to be here in Vegas to discuss the pressing issues facing this nation. We've got a lot on our plate but it's nothing compared to what average Americans are dealing with. To little job openings, to many wage cuts, too much being paid at the pump, while Washington seems to be entirely satisfied. Well I can tell you Vegas I am not satisfied, we can do better and we must. I'm running because Americans deserve a bold fighter who won't compromise in the fight for better lives, better wages, and better jobs. I ask for your vote because if we want to win in November we'll need a people's democrat, and I'm hoping to be that man.

Senator Feingold has claimed he's the only candidate who is a DC outsider unbeholden to special interests. As a governor running as the "People's Democrat," how do you respond to these claims?

Well I think Russ is just campaigning, I think he's painting with a broad brush you know. I think he's had a fine Senate career, he's done a fantastic job fighting for working people in the Senate. But I think it's ironic saying he's the DC outsider in the race, I've never spent a day in Washington, Russ has spent years. I've been in Montana, solving problems and fighting for progressive change and we've done a lot. More jobs, higher wages, less corruption, cheaper prescription drugs, and despite Republican opposition, I think the healthcare plan we've drawn up can be an example to the nation. And as I like to say, whenever Republicans send me another crooked bill to rip off Montanans, I will veto it and if need be with a hot poker.

Closing Statement

Well folks I think we've had a fine discussion of the issues, of the merits of each candidate, but I want to ask you this. We gotta win this election, we have an chance to get an unprecedented chance to improve peoples lives. We could get better jobs, quality healthcare, we could rein in Wall Street like never before and we can stand up for workers, or we could get a return to trickle down economics and big banks and big pharma holding court in Congress. We can win this election if we acknowledge the problems people face and that we are there to fix them, we can win this election if we do more than support the status quo, we gotta step beyond that and pledge to build a future for all Americans, and that all Americans can grow and thrive in. Thank you Las Vegas.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 11:33:30 AM »

Due to falling poll numbers, Governor Schweitzer will be leaving the race and filing to run for reelection as Governor of Montana.

He is not endorsing a candidate, but has made it clear to close supporters, friends, and organizers that he favors Feingold or Sibelius.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies