Trump revealed classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 08:09:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump revealed classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump revealed classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador  (Read 22569 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 15, 2017, 04:19:24 PM »

But her emails
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 05:07:30 PM »

Bad. Stupid. Wrong. Not illegal or impeachable, however.

This is impeachable.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 05:10:04 PM »

This is impeachable.
From WaPo: "For almost anyone in government, discussing such matters with an adversary would be illegal. As president, Trump has broad authority to declassify government secrets, making it unlikely that his disclosures broke the law."

That covers "illegal." This behavior is clearly impeachable.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 05:11:05 PM »

Bad. He's idiotic for doing this. However, Hillary Clinton had similar problems, okay? The 2016 election was not a good election.

This is the first non-ironic use of "but her emails" I have seen this afternoon. I've seen a LOT of the other kind.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »

This is impeachable.
From WaPo: "For almost anyone in government, discussing such matters with an adversary would be illegal. As president, Trump has broad authority to declassify government secrets, making it unlikely that his disclosures broke the law."

That covers "illegal." This behavior is clearly impeachable.
Once again: "As president, Trump has broad authority to declassify government secrets, making it unlikely that his disclosures broke the law."

Again: I'm not defending his actions. I'm just saying they are not worthy of impeachment from what we know now.

What are the rules governing what someone is allowed to impeach for or not?

Everything you have discussed concerns legality. Impeachment is a constitutional process, not a legal one.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 05:14:21 PM »

Spare thoughts and prayers for whatever hero in an unnamed city in the Middle East alerted our allies to the ISIS threat using laptops on planes.

Their bravery prevented a terrorist attack and the deaths of hundreds of people, if not thousands.

Now, thanks to Trump, their cover is blown and they're likely to be killed. Others will see what happened and we won't get the warning next time of a threat like this. Other countries will not share information with us.

"But I don't think he should be impeached for this." Think about that.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »

Apparently, McMaster said Trump did not reveal any classified info.  He was in the room, as well.

Nope, he chose his words carefully and described other things Trump didn't reveal, like current military operations. I've highlighted in bold what he specified.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

McMaster says Trump did not reveal:
  • Sources
  • Methods
  • Military options that were not disclosed publicly

Plenty of classified information falls outside of those categories.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies