Rangel Pushing for Draft Again (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:21:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rangel Pushing for Draft Again (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rangel Pushing for Draft Again  (Read 4019 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: May 28, 2005, 06:56:31 PM »

Rangel does something good for once. I urge the Democrats to support this.

I do too, but it has less to do with the quality of this action, and more to do with the results of the 2006 midterms.

A word to the wise; be careful what you wish for. You guys are all of age to eligible for the draft.

It would be hilarious to see all these youthful conservatives drafted!

Hah, I'm 36! Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 11:25:51 PM »

That's the age the bill starts with. And it targets upper class families first.

No, Philip, I'm home-free on this one.  You're what, late teens?  Your GOP just might get you killed yet! Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 11:35:42 PM »

Not really.  The terrible idea is the aggression the US has been committing that requires all these troops, and reduces national security.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 11:45:29 PM »

Not really.  The terrible idea is the aggression the US has been committing

No, I like that idea. The problem with a draft is that draftees inevitably have lower morale than volunteers. Perhaps higher financial rewards would heighten enrollment.

Actually the Republican economic policies are sufficiently successful at creating the kind of severe desperation that drives poor people to enlist in the military, so it is quite possible that neither a draft or higher 'financial rewards' will be necessary to maintain the supply of cannon-fodder.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 12:00:11 AM »

You are characteristically confused, Opebo. The only reason that morons like Mr. Rangel are pushing for a draft is that enrollments are down. Therefore, your theory of "desperation" driving the poor to enlist in the military in sufficient numbers is wrong.

No, the fact that there are still any enrollments in the face of the foolishness in Iraq is testimony to the desperation and lack of any options on the part of young people from the working class.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 12:09:04 AM »

Yes, logically there should be literally zero enrollments... wait, what?  The volunteers know what they're facing when they join. It is not "desperation", by any means.

Yes, I agree that their own foolishness and acceptance of propaganda may have something to do with it.  Of course the fact that they are deprived of educational opportunities is well devised to abet this situation.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 12:59:02 AM »

Yes, I agree that their own foolishness and acceptance of propaganda may have something to do with it.  Of course the fact that they are deprived of educational opportunities is well devised to abet this situation.

That's obviously a highly subjective statement. What you consider to be "propaganda" is to others the absolute truth. You couldn't logically argue that they're wrong, unless you believe that your beliefs are completely objective. Of course, you couldn't argue that since you supposedly hate the concept of objectivism.

I think objective value is absurd.  All preferences are subjective.  I never said anything about facts.

For example poor die as cannon fodder for the rich - this is a fact.  However I would never dream of disputing a poor who preferred to die for the rich, only one who was so confused as to be unaware of what he was doing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies