Primary Night Results Thread (AL, CA, IA, MT, NJ, NM, SD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:07:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Primary Night Results Thread (AL, CA, IA, MT, NJ, NM, SD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Primary Night Results Thread (AL, CA, IA, MT, NJ, NM, SD)  (Read 32915 times)
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2008, 11:29:13 PM »

And if they stay stuck on sixties and seventies icons, they will lose regardless of ideology.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2008, 11:29:45 PM »

Well, if Pearce wins, it saves me money.

This race should save everyone money. Udall pretty much has this one.

Republicans need to stop being so principled if they want to regain Washington.  They'd rather lose nominating Barry Goldwaters than win with Nelson Rockefellers.

My point is that Wilson wasn't going to win the seat either. And it's not really about principle. I don't believe that Wilson is a RINO or anything like that. She's just closer to the center and, contrary to popular belief, I don't think that always means more electable.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2008, 11:31:01 PM »

King - I should point out that nutso Dan Foley got taken out tonight, although Adair hung on.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2008, 11:35:11 PM »

My point is that Wilson wasn't going to win the seat either. And it's not really about principle. I don't believe that Wilson is a RINO or anything like that. She's just closer to the center and, contrary to popular belief, I don't think that always means more electable.

The "pork" she supported was for national security, since New Mexico houses all that extremely sensitive stuff.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2008, 11:37:10 PM »

Well, if Pearce wins, it saves me money.

This race should save everyone money. Udall pretty much has this one.

Republicans need to stop being so principled if they want to regain Washington.  They'd rather lose nominating Barry Goldwaters than win with Nelson Rockefellers.

When you get older you'll understand.  Or when the Republican party grows up, whichever... Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2008, 11:37:56 PM »

The "pork" she supported was for national security, since New Mexico houses all that extremely sensitive stuff.

Case in point:

Los Alamos 19/19   
Pearce 585 27%   
Wilson 1,622 73%
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2008, 11:39:07 PM »

I...didn't even mention anything/attack her.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2008, 11:40:38 PM »

That's the reason she's been framed as such a RINO, though.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #158 on: June 03, 2008, 11:44:44 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2008, 11:52:24 PM by Casual Fraction™ »

And if they stay stuck on sixties and seventies icons, they will lose regardless of ideology.

It's the best comparison I could think of...

King - I should point out that nutso Dan Foley got taken out tonight, although Adair hung on.

They're all nuts in the New Mexico State Legislature.  Plus, you don't mess with small town New Mexico political bosses.  Rod Adair in Roswell (still hanging on), Walter Bradley in Clovis (he's retired now), Manny Aragon in Santa Fe (he's under an FBI investigation), Raymond Sanchez in Albuquerque (he got gerrymandered out of office by the GOP) and then there's always Big Bill Richardson and Pete Domenici.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2008, 11:45:42 PM »

Does anyone have current results for the gop primary in loebsack's district?  I'm on my blackberry and can't view the results anywhere.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2008, 11:48:07 PM »

Does anyone have current results for the gop primary in loebsack's district?  I'm on my blackberry and can't view the results anywhere.

Called for MMM 44%-43% with 100% in
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #161 on: June 03, 2008, 11:56:07 PM »

Why on earth would your parents buy you a Blackberry? Why would you  need a Blackberry? And why are you on 45 minutes past midnight?

I like these probing questions.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #162 on: June 04, 2008, 12:03:39 AM »

The blackberry was my bday present (it was only 100 dollars if I switched to atandt from verizon, my plan was up, blah, blah, blah) anyway thanks for the iowa results. This district may be competative. It seems to vote by candidate as opposed to party. I read a star ledger article that endorsed mmm and hinted that she may be able to take down loebsack. Has this race been overlooked?  I mean I think cq lists this as strong or safe dem. Any thoughts?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #163 on: June 04, 2008, 12:07:27 AM »

Heinrich is lucky man.  Vigil-Giron and Lujan-Grisham really the split the vote right down the middle to give him a likely win.

NM-02 and NM-03 on the Dem side are going to be interesting too, depending on what's left.

I'm rooting for Wiviott and Teague.  McCamley seems really phony from what I've seen and Ben R. Lujan is only doing as well as he is because his dad Ben Lujan is immensely popular in the North.

No kidding about Heinrich.  What do you think about the NM-01 race?

I'm a big Martin Heinrich supporter and I'm glad the vote split happened.  Vigil-Giron (a former incompetent SoS) and Darren White (overemotional Sheriff who seeks the local news cameras when a crime occurs like Jesse Jackson does when a black man gets beaten by the police) are pretty slimy individuals.   Heinrich is a hard worker with the Albuquerque City Council and fairly moderate on a lot of issues.

I hate to reappear just to shoot ya down, King Wink but Martin Heinrich is neither much of a hard worker (has the man ever held a real job in his life?) nor, and I mean nor, fairly moderate. He's the Albuquerque City Councilor from the most leftist district in ABQ, and he has voted consistently left-wing on basically everything, being part of the 'Left Bloc' on the City Council. He's a white liberal from a very bourgeois lefty part of town - Nob Hill - very much Obama country for those who wonder Tongue - and is rather undistinguished. He basically won this because he consolidated the white liberal vote - as Sam Spade, who has been doing an excellent job covering NM politics, might I add Smiley pointed out - and because he started first out the gate, being the only one who was going to run against Wilson before Domenici announced his retirement. In addition to this, bringing in those lovely local issues, he is well-known as a hard-core anti-West Sider, and the West Side will bury him in the general election. Wink This does not mean that Darren White is great - too conservative for me and not a terrific candidate either - but White will beat Heinrich in the general.

Hey, it's not my fault the Dems never nominate a Blue Dog Hispanic female here...that combination would probably have won this year...

Harry Montoya bringing up the "Ben Lujan is gay" rumor has to go down as another classic moment in NM politics, if Lujan loses.

Sam, Sam, Sam...it's Benny Shando who brought that up, not Harry Montoya (via Joe Monahan). Tongue

Oh, and if Pearce beats Wilson, as it is looking like at the moment, I will have a rant later on.

No guarantees on how often I'll pop up on the site, but the NM Primary drew me out of retirement...
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #164 on: June 04, 2008, 12:07:58 AM »

The blackberry was my bday present (it was only 100 dollars if I switched to atandt from verizon, my plan was up, blah, blah, blah) anyway thanks for the iowa results. This district may be competative. It seems to vote by candidate as opposed to party. I read a star ledger article that endorsed mmm and hinted that she may be able to take down loebsack. Has this race been overlooked?  I mean I think cq lists this as strong or safe dem. Any thoughts?

It does vote by candidate. And it will vote for Dave Loebsack easily.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #165 on: June 04, 2008, 12:09:09 AM »

WMS!
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: June 04, 2008, 12:10:28 AM »

Heya Sam! The opportunity to bash Martin Heinrich was too much to resist. Cheesy
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #167 on: June 04, 2008, 12:11:15 AM »

Pearce only up about two thousand votes with 92% reporting.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #168 on: June 04, 2008, 12:11:46 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2008, 12:14:06 AM by MarkWarner08 »

This district may be competative. It seems to vote by candidate as opposed to party.
Tell that to Jim Leach, a congenial statesman who was the brains behind a seminal piece of banking legislation back in the 1980s. Leach didn't lose because voters grew tired of his sweater vest or his cerebral form of legislating-- no, Leach lost simply because of the (R) after his surname. For that very reason, there is little chance that MMM will prevail over Loebsack.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2008, 12:13:43 AM »

I got the wrong guy in my mind.  Well, apologies to Harry Montoya.  Ugh!
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2008, 12:15:23 AM »

Heh, I only remembered that because 1)I would've backed Montoya in that primary and 2)one minority using an anti-gay slur against another minority amuses me. Smiley
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2008, 12:16:48 AM »

Isn't it fitting that Heather Wilson's career once again depends on a few remaining precincts?

For selfish reasons, I'm hoping Pearce wins with 51.4% of the vote.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2008, 12:16:55 AM »

You're probably right about loebsack, just trying to find at least a little good news for the gop tonite. A pearce win seals the deal for udall, but if wilson would have won, udall still would have about a 97 percent chance of winning. If mark udall wins in colorado while tom wins in nm, I wonder if it will be the first time cousins served in the senate together....
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2008, 12:17:58 AM »

Hey, it's not my fault the Dems never nominate a Blue Dog Hispanic female here...that combination would probably have won this year...

Hmm... What about Patsy Madrid? If only she hadn't stuttered in that debate, she would've been running for reelection this time.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #174 on: June 04, 2008, 12:18:09 AM »

Isn't it fitting that Heather Wilson's career once again depends on a few remaining precincts?

It's so cruel.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies