WHAT'S UP WITH PROSTITUTION???? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:03:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  WHAT'S UP WITH PROSTITUTION???? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WHAT'S UP WITH PROSTITUTION????  (Read 5804 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: June 23, 2013, 05:17:43 AM »

Here is a short description from a British organisation working with prostitutes, but there is a ton of research out there if you care to enlighten yourself.

Psychological Impact:

Most psychologists believe the long-term psychological harm resulting from prostitution is comparable to that from rape or domestic violence, 76% of those involved in prostitution experience some form of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

The core experiences of violence and psychological trauma associated with prostitution are disempowerment and disconnection with others. Internally these experiences often cause a ‘split’ between the mind, body and spirit.

Individuals involved in prostitution often develop complex coping mechanisms and rituals to minimise their pain and brokenness:
 Dissociative disorders (e.g. disconnection, distancing)
 Anxiety disorders (e.g. fixation, memory loss, panic attacks, flashbacks)
 Substance abuse (leading to long term addiction and mental illness)
 Sleeping disorders – oversleeping, insomnia
 Depression
 Self harm
 Eating Disorders
 Obsessive-compulsive behaviour
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 04:22:30 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2013, 04:24:01 AM by Formerly Californian Tony »

The Nordics do it best as usual; illegal, but only the client gets prosecuted with anything.

Indeed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 04:44:55 AM »

Prostitution should be legal, both for its status as a "victimless" crime, and so that the government can set rules and regulations to combat the spread of sexually transmitted diseases and the symptoms politicus described. When it's illegal, everyone loses.

The "symptoms politicus described" are a direct consequence of selling your body out for money - not a side-effect that can be dealt with through regulation.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 06:04:59 AM »

What makes it different is pretty obvious and I don't especially want to get back to a discussion we've already had thousand times. I can only say that the fact so many people don't get the difference infinitely depresses me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 05:48:46 AM »

Back it up. I want data showing a 76% post traumatic stress rate for other toils.

Yeah, that's complete bullsh*t. The intellectual dishonesty from Opebo shouldn't surprise anyone, but it's sad to see someone else take it seriously.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 01:19:24 PM »

From what I've read, most of the negative mental health effects of prostitution that the people who want the state to control women's (and men's!) bodies point to really only manifest themselves in places where prostitutes have little to no rights, are mostly forced on to the streets, and are essentially owned by pimps. In countries where prostitutes are afforded the same labor rights as other workers, where prostitution takes place in regulated brothels, and pimping is prohibited, you don't see these effects (and there's even plenty evidence of the sex workers enjoying their jobs and feeling a great deal of empowerment).

Those who oppose prostitution from the left obviously don't support criminalizing prostitutes. In Sweden and the other most civilized country, legislation cracks down on those who benefit from prostitution (clients and pimps), not on its victims. That's obviously the way it should be.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »

Back it up. I want data showing a 76% post traumatic stress rate for other toils.

Yeah, that's complete bullsh*t. The intellectual dishonesty from Opebo shouldn't surprise anyone, but it's sad to see someone else take it seriously.

The PTSD is caused by prudery, not by prostitution, big boys.

The others are always the problem, of course. It's never you.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »

Well you can hardly deny that the sex act is not inherently/intrinsically unpleasant, or that the bulk of society levies a terrible disapproval on any women who have a lot of sex.

...and of course it never crossed your mind that humans might have a conscience and emotional reactions that go beyond mere senses of physical pleasure.

Wait, what am I doing now? Arguing with Opebo? Seriously? OK, I'll stop there.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 04:27:25 PM »

Well you can hardly deny that the sex act is not inherently/intrinsically unpleasant, or that the bulk of society levies a terrible disapproval on any women who have a lot of sex.

...and of course it never crossed your mind that humans might have a conscience and emotional reactions that go beyond mere senses of physical pleasure.

...and of course it never crossed your mind that not all humans have the same extremely conservative views of sex and sexuality that you do.

Thinking that there is more to human experience than mindless f**king = conservatism? OK.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 05:22:19 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2013, 05:24:11 PM by Formerly Californian Tony »

...and of course it never crossed your mind that not all humans have the same extremely conservative views of sex and sexuality that you do.

Thinking that there is more to human experience than mindless f**king = conservatism? OK.

Welcome to the pantheon of personal conservatism. Cheesy

I'm probably the Zeus of that pantheon. Grin

(opebo's last post is a rare combination of non-sequitur and strawmanning, obviously, but I have to force myself stop paying attention to what he says)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 05:03:33 AM »

LOL, so typical of American socons. The problem isn't the objectification of human beings, no, obviously not: the problem is the possibility that somewhere, somehow, some people might do a sexual act I disapprove of... Roll Eyes
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »

So would you support people having sex and then pooping on each other in exchange for cash? That's pretty much what this comes down to.

Are you one of those people that doesn't realize heterosexuals have anal sex all the time... for free?

Anal sex is fine as long as you don't pull out a plum in the process.

Thanks for the tip.

And if we legalize prostitution, then prostitutes will thank you for the tip as well.
Did anyone else interpret that the way I did?

I don't bother "interpreting" Barfbag's posts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies