UK AV Referendum Poll (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:16:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK AV Referendum Poll (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you want the United Kingdom to adopt the 'alternative vote' system instead of the current 'first past the post' system for electing Members of Parliament to the House of Commons?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: UK AV Referendum Poll  (Read 39914 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: February 11, 2011, 02:32:29 PM »

Of course.

AV would result in constituencies having representatives that enjoy, on the whole, more broad support from their constituents.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 06:43:43 AM »

It could shelve demands for proper reform

I don't get the 'hold out for a better electoral reform theory' of voting No. (I assume such people have serious qualms voting at just about every election, presumably not voting a lot, instead preferring to hold out for their dream candidate to register to run in their constituency.)

At any rate, I think the holding out for something better is rather optimistic thinking. Under what circumstances would a No vote help lead to more ambitious electoral reform being on the table within the next generation?

This was the system Labour were ostensibly inclined to adopt - if it's rejected, then they're unlikely to pursue it at any stage (or I'd presume, any change at all).
The Conservatives want no change at all.
This is the best the LibDems could get, and it seems they're unlikely to get another swing at things.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:30:12 AM »

Also, I wish the Yes camp would stop saying the Tories use Av for their leadership contests. They don't. They do multi-round voting...

Which is basically just time-inefficient IRV, no?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:10:56 AM »

Antony Green has been blogging quite a bit lately about the referendum. He seems to be quite perturbed by claims from some of the No advocates.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 04:38:22 AM »

Why so tight? Turnout differential with the Scottish and NI elections might help yes a bit compared to the polling, but really this thing ought to be over.

Just on the NI point, it will be interesting to see the results, but I'm not sure it can be presumed how NI will vote.

DUP and UUP are against AV.
SDLP, SF and Alliance are in favour.

Not that I have any idea how the party positions will impact upon things as it doesn't seem to be a campaign the parties are particularly concerned about.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 03:47:34 PM »

That's weird, considering how splintered the unionist vote is I'd presumed they'd support it - obviously not.

See Lewis's comment.

See also the comments by Mark Durkan (SDLP) from the AV Bill debate, on FPTP encouraging the maintenance of a sectarian electoral divide for Westminster elections in NI.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies