The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:20:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 301328 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: May 08, 2011, 09:29:15 PM »

I've been trying to think of things to include. How about a fund to reimburse people for demonstrable property damage they've suffered, up to some limit?

That could work, with Insurance doing the rest. Or we can raise taxes on the wealthy to pay for all of it
No. No, No, No, No.  Look at my regional office thread Wink

Well, I want to keep the surplus somewhat. We need to find a way to not waste it all
Helping our citizens isn't wasting it.  $250 billion isn't doing any good sitting in the treasury.  However you spend it, it will stimulate the economy.  Remember, we have a rather large rainy day fund for use in future disaster scenarios (which reminds me, I need to add that to the budget thread).
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1576 on: May 08, 2011, 10:09:15 PM »

Why not gor father than reimbursement? Hell, why not actually hire a firm to rebuild a town, at least for people who would choose to go along with the plan(just covering all the bases)? We can pick out some bit of land not in use, figure out all whose staying and build a town for the displaced peoples. Not only does it solve the problem of how to help, it gives construction jobs to the people.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1577 on: May 08, 2011, 10:13:41 PM »

Why not gor father than reimbursement? Hell, why not actually hire a firm to rebuild a town, at least for people who would choose to go along with the plan(just covering all the bases)? We can pick out some bit of land not in use, figure out all whose staying and build a town for the displaced peoples. Not only does it solve the problem of how to help, it gives construction jobs to the people.

Given that the disaster areas are spread across several states, we'd probably need to build a few towns then.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1578 on: May 08, 2011, 10:22:32 PM »

Given that the disaster areas are spread across several states, we'd probably need to build a few towns then.

True, unless we wanted to create a city and move them all there. From what the dispatch SC and TX aren't harmed, there's millions of acres of useless land right there Tongue.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1579 on: May 08, 2011, 10:27:08 PM »

True, unless we wanted to create a city and move them all there. From what the dispatch SC and TX aren't harmed, there's millions of acres of useless land right there Tongue.

From what I've heard today, there actually was some damage in TX. It doesn't seem to have been as bad as the damage in the other states, though.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1580 on: May 08, 2011, 11:40:19 PM »

I would be open to the idea of setting up communities in west Texas for people who lost everything and choose to move out there. the area is losing people so this would be a shot in the arm to the economy out there. Have some money go to helping people who want to rebuild where they are and relief such as food water ect.. and set aside a portion to go to construction of small communities out west.

just a thought

Anywho lets not forget the feds have money budgeted for disaster relief so lets not worry too much about having to spend much of the surplus
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1581 on: May 09, 2011, 05:20:58 PM »

So...where's the tornado legislation?

I told Sanchez to write it because I have no idea what to do. He has not done it yet

I forgot I was tasked with this-I have no idea where to begin! Lets start with building communities in the west area of Texas. We could also get a program going, offering grants or tax deductions for people who lost their homes.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1582 on: May 09, 2011, 05:40:20 PM »

Alright. Should we decide on exact locations or leave that up to some random state/regional department? Also, how much exactly should we budget towards the creation of these communities? I'm thinking we should also set up at least one each in Mississippi, Tennessee, & Georgia, so displaced people can join one without having to leave their home state.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1583 on: May 09, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »

Remember, Alabama was probably the hardest hit state, followed by MIS, TN, and GA.  Arkansas and Texas also took some damage, with Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina largely spared.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1584 on: May 09, 2011, 08:10:07 PM »

As long as we don't totally waste the surplus, I'm good with it
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1585 on: May 10, 2011, 04:29:05 PM »

Alright. Should we decide on exact locations or leave that up to some random state/regional department? Also, how much exactly should we budget towards the creation of these communities? I'm thinking we should also set up at least one each in Mississippi, Tennessee, & Georgia, so displaced people can join one without having to leave their home state.
Agreed. I feel the Regional government is not overstepping our powers to help them, because the States dont even have most of their taxes anymore! As long as the Federal government does not take complete controll.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1586 on: May 10, 2011, 07:09:45 PM »

EVERYBODY READ THIS POST CAREFULLY

The states do not exist.  Read that again.  The states do not exist.  Not in any meaningful manner, anyways.  They have names and symbols and borders and such but that is all.  Everything the states do have been transferred to the Regional Government.  Everything.  Every bill crafted by this legislature and every legislative body that follows must keep that in the very front of their minds.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1587 on: May 10, 2011, 07:14:26 PM »

The states do not exist.  Read that again.  The states do not exist.  Not in any meaningful manner, anyways.  They have names and symbols and borders and such but that is all.  Everything the states do have been transferred to the Regional Government.  Everything.  Every bill crafted by this legislature and every legislative body that follows must keep that in the very front of their minds.

The way I interpreted it, we merely transferred the entire taxation & expenditure apparati of the states to the regional government. I think it's alright to assume that we have kept the state governments to some extent as sub-branches of the regional government to administrate closer to the people, so to speak.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1588 on: May 10, 2011, 09:21:55 PM »

The way I interpreted it, we merely transferred the entire taxation & expenditure apparati of the states to the regional government. I think it's alright to assume that we have kept the state governments to some extent as sub-branches of the regional government to administrate closer to the people, so to speak.
We took "general funding" from the budget.  That includes state government salaries and operating costs.  So they are unable to have state-level legislature.  However, local level government (counties and towns) still exist as in real life. 

Though if you mean simply as organs of the Regional government I believe you are correct.  However, worrying about overstepping bounds in that case is like a First Lieutenant worrying about overstepping his bounds in asking his subordinates to follow his orders.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1589 on: May 10, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »

We took "general funding" from the budget.  That includes state government salaries and operating costs.  So they are unable to have state-level legislature.  However, local level government (counties and towns) still exist as in real life. 

Though if you mean simply as organs of the Regional government I believe you are correct.  However, worrying about overstepping bounds in that case is like a First Lieutenant worrying about overstepping his bounds in asking his subordinates to follow his orders.

Yes, that is what I mean. I think that we should assume that state governments still exist, but that they have no ability to make decisions on a policy-level & instead accept the ones that we make.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1590 on: May 11, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2011, 03:48:58 PM by Emperor PiT »

To keep things going, I took Taft's proposal & made a few edits for clarity:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thoughts?
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1591 on: May 11, 2011, 08:34:59 PM »

To keep things going, I took Taft's proposal & made a few edits for clarity:

Thoughts?

Thanks, I was busy, seriously! I fully support it, btw.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1592 on: May 12, 2011, 04:27:45 PM »

I oppose any attempt to commandere private land for Yelnoctopia, and hope jobs be created, by allowing private companies to receive most of the work.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1593 on: May 12, 2011, 07:11:43 PM »

I assumed that "unused land" means that it is not privately owned.

How about we require that any company that receives a contract to build in Yelnocopia employ a certain proportion of its workers from citizens of the IDS?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1594 on: May 12, 2011, 07:26:41 PM »

How about we require that any company that receives a contract to build in Yelnocopia employ a certain proportion of its workers from citizens of the IDS?

I would say that at least 50% employees sent by the contractors should be IDS citizens, though skilled labor can be brought in from Timbuktu if needed! While we are on subject, what are the status of imminent domain laws in the IDS?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1595 on: May 12, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »

I would say that at least 50% employees sent by the contractors should be IDS citizens, though skilled labor can be brought in from Timbuktu if needed! While we are on subject, what are the status of imminent domain laws in the IDS?

I agree with you somewhat about the workers. I think the IDS should create a bureau or something for unemployed construction workers, builders etc to apply to work in building the damaged areas and the new temporary city. This will help the economy greatly.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1596 on: May 12, 2011, 07:38:42 PM »

The only law that I know of concerning eminent domain is Article VIII, Section 12 of the IDS Constitution, which says:

Notice the bolded part. As such, I think that the government will not be able to seize anyone's property unless the Legislature specifically permits it to happen. If you want to be on the safe side, though, we can include a clause stating that no person's property will be taken to develop this city without that person's consent.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1597 on: May 12, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »

I recommend the location being in Loving county, its population has dropped to 82 residents as of 2010 and is on the verge of extinction.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1598 on: May 12, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »

I agree; let's go with Loving County for the lulz. Grin I want to hear the input of other darths, of course, though I'll write up a bill with the amendments we discussed, as well as dollar figures:

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1599 on: May 13, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »

Loving County sounds good to me...AYE!
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to: