The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 10:35:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 302775 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: April 21, 2011, 04:59:33 PM »

Im just trying to feel which way the wind its blowing, how would the members of the Assembly feel if I introduced a bill of condemnation regarding the election for Governor in the NE? It seems to be controversial, with the apparent "Governor" (Giovanni) not even being a citizen of the region.

Giovanni is actually just an Assemblyman. The Governor is NDN/Mint/Ghost_white, who is a member of the region, albeit a shockingly inactive one.

As for your proposal, I am typically opposed to resolutions, but I do think that this situation deserves one.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1451 on: April 21, 2011, 05:00:43 PM »

Im just trying to feel which way the wind its blowing, how would the members of the Assembly feel if I introduced a bill of condemnation regarding the election for Governor in the NE? It seems to be controversial, with the apparent "Governor" (Giovanni) not even being a citizen of the region.

No, Giovanni was elected to the Assembly not as Governor.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1452 on: April 21, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »

No, Giovanni was elected to the Assembly not as Governor.
Ohhhh

I didnt get it...Man am I slow. He was elected to the Assembly. I thought he becmae Governor.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1453 on: April 21, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »

That is a lot of Yellow avatars...

Er, right.  Uh, resolutions.  Honestly, by the time we get around to any such resolution the crisis will probably already be over.  Though if you still want to try it you can post a bill in the Legislature Introduction Thread.

Now, do you have any comments on the corporate tax rate?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1454 on: April 21, 2011, 06:29:11 PM »

Back to the subject of corporate taxes.  Maybe we could take this opportunity to stop states from collecting corporate taxes, i.e. make the Regional government the only sub-national entity authorized to collect corporate taxes?  That will simplify the combination process.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1455 on: April 21, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »

That's a good idea. Double taxation is a rather big problem with the regional government as it is currently set-up, though I think we should wait until we have a budget to deal with it more comprehensively. That doesn't stop us from dealing with part of it now, though.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1456 on: April 21, 2011, 09:36:17 PM »

Back to the subject of corporate taxes.  Maybe we could take this opportunity to stop states from collecting corporate taxes, i.e. make the Regional government the only sub-national entity authorized to collect corporate taxes?  That will simplify the combination process.

Im in favor of this, it would expand economic growth.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1457 on: April 21, 2011, 09:37:19 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2011, 08:07:40 AM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thoughts?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1458 on: April 21, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »

Should add "in the region" to the end of clause 3. I don't think the other regions would like us denying them the ability to collect corporate income tax. Tongue
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1459 on: April 22, 2011, 08:08:16 AM »

Should add "in the region" to the end of clause 3. I don't think the other regions would like us denying them the ability to collect corporate income tax. Tongue
That would be fun to try to enforce.  Does the constitution actually implicitly state the separation of the regions?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1460 on: April 22, 2011, 10:09:15 AM »

That would be fun to try to enforce.  Does the constitution actually implicitly state the separation of the regions?

You do have Article I, Section 7, which is entitled "Powers denied to the Regions" and has every clause begin with "No region may..." or "No region shall...".
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1461 on: April 22, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »

I support the measure so far, but what about the states? Will this hurt their revenue intake?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1462 on: April 22, 2011, 11:12:25 AM »

I support the measure so far, but what about the states? Will this hurt their revenue intake?

Perhaps we should include a clause to cover the difference for states if the loss of corporate income taxation causes them to experience a budget shortfall?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1463 on: April 22, 2011, 02:57:09 PM »

No.  The eventual goal of the budget commission is to combine the state and regional budgets, thereby ending the existence of the states as semi-independent actors (i.e., removing their ability to collect taxes, pass laws, etc.).  This bill will go one step in that direction.  Including such a clause would needlessly complicate the process.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1464 on: April 22, 2011, 04:34:45 PM »

No.  The eventual goal of the budget commission is to combine the state and regional budgets, thereby ending the existence of the states as semi-independent actors (i.e., removing their ability to collect taxes, pass laws, etc.).  This bill will go one step in that direction.  Including such a clause would needlessly complicate the process.
I understand. Though I would prefer this process be resisted if attempted on a Federal level....
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1465 on: April 22, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »

I understand. Though I would prefer this process be resisted if attempted on a Federal level....
There is no one role-playing at the Federal level so putting a couple stiffs (like us Wink ) out of a job isn't a concern.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1466 on: April 22, 2011, 06:37:33 PM »

The bill has my support
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1467 on: April 22, 2011, 10:27:35 PM »

Ok.  Mr. Viceroy, could you put the bill to a vote?
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1468 on: April 22, 2011, 10:40:19 PM »

I be relevant again? Okay! Here we go, vote!

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1469 on: April 23, 2011, 08:37:22 AM »

Aye.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1470 on: April 23, 2011, 02:30:18 PM »

Good thing I got that vote in.  I just swore in as the SoIA so I am no longer a Darth Sad

I assume there will be a special election soon to replace my vacancy.  Once this vote ends, you guys need to go ahead and select a new Imperial Speaker.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1471 on: April 23, 2011, 03:34:36 PM »

Vacancies in the Legislature are filled by appointment, per Article II, Section 8.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1472 on: April 23, 2011, 04:32:56 PM »

Vacancies in the Legislature are filled by appointment, per Article II, Section 8.
Ah.  Who do you have in mind to appoint?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1473 on: April 23, 2011, 05:12:34 PM »

Ah.  Who do you have in mind to appoint?

I've contacted Bacon King & freepcrusher, since the former has significant experience in Atlasia, the latter is quite active on the forum, & either one of them would bring ideological diversity to the Legislature. Neither one has replied, though. If I don't get a reply from either by tonight, I'll begin contacting other folks (jbgator, Republitarian, Jbrase, &c.).
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1474 on: April 24, 2011, 11:59:56 AM »

Aye
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies