Labour Party Leadership Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:57:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Labour Party Leadership Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Pick one.
Andy Burnham

Yvette Cooper

Jeremy Corbyn

Liz Kendall

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Labour Party Leadership Election  (Read 2408 times)
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: August 16, 2015, 06:43:28 PM »
« edited: August 16, 2015, 06:45:48 PM by Acting like I'm Morrissey w/o the wit »

#Jezwecan

*engages in appropriate amount of self-loathing for using that phrase*.

I'd love to see the Labour left regain the upper hand eventually, but Corbyn isn't the right person for the job. If he leads the party to defeat in 2020, the Blairites will come back in full force.

He'll have done an enormous amount within the party to stop that (ie reinstate much of the internal democracy lost from the 1980s).
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 01:41:53 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2015, 01:44:45 PM by Acting like I'm Morrissey w/o the wit »

Burnham, only one who I'd feel could actually lead us during an election and not feel embarrased about mentioning our leader when we door knock. Corbyn is just a wacko on foreign policy, and it would just be 2015 on crack

Whoever wins is going to be removed from office with horrifying brutality by Dan Jarvis at some point over the next five years so it isn't as though it matters anyway.

I didn't know these sorts of shenanigans could happen in the modern Labour. I mean, I'd understand a midterm leadership challenge if Corbyn wins (potentially he could even end up resigning if sh*t hits the fan) but if Burnham or Cooper win, wouldn't most of the party eventually get behind him/her?

You're right; as much as Brown and Miliband have tested Labour's patience,  I don't think we'd be seeing people argue this leader is merely a caretaker to be replaced if Corbyn didn't have a chance at winning.

I think Corbyn will have the grace to stand down if he's tanking - unless, of course, the party fight his proposals for internal democracy tooth and nail, in which case I think he'll have to be deposed by the PLP.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies