2020 Labour Leadership Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:14:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2020 Labour Leadership Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44
Author Topic: 2020 Labour Leadership Election  (Read 86397 times)
Roblox

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: April 13, 2020, 11:41:58 AM »

Wow, that report is…Something. Serious chance Corbyn would be PM right now following the 2017 election if it wasn't for some of the stuff in it. I think its pretty obvious that people intentionally working to sabotage the party from the inside should be kicked out.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1026 on: April 13, 2020, 12:19:11 PM »

Starmer and Rayner have issued a joint statement announcing an inquiry into the leaked report.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1027 on: April 13, 2020, 12:54:09 PM »

Starmer and Rayner have issued a joint statement announcing an inquiry into the leaked report.

Specifically to look into:

1. Background and circumstances of the report being commissioned

2. The contents, wider culture and practices in the report

3. The circumstances the report was leaked into the public domain

Point three is important. Most of the online drama has been about the various factional bunfight issues, but the data breach here is extremely serious: vast amounts of unredacted personal information concerning people who made complaints to the party. Not much doubt that there would be room for civil action from affected parties.
Pulaski

« Reply #1028 on: April 13, 2020, 10:26:10 PM »

Wow, that report is…Something. Serious chance Corbyn would be PM right now following the 2017 election if it wasn't for some of the stuff in it. I think its pretty obvious that people intentionally working to sabotage the party from the inside should be kicked out.

Unlikely they will be. Many of them are now in the shadow ministry.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1029 on: April 14, 2020, 12:40:58 AM »

This is untrue & I would be careful about making comments about a report like this.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1030 on: April 14, 2020, 01:11:43 AM »

Starmer needs to remove the labour right from his cabinet and expel the blairites who opposed labour in 2017 and led the tories to the win. Disgusting behaviour is not to be tolerated.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1031 on: April 14, 2020, 02:51:55 AM »

Starmer needs to remove the labour right from his cabinet and expel the blairites who opposed labour in 2017 and led the tories to the win. Disgusting behaviour is not to be tolerated.

There are a few people whose careers are probably dead for the next few years because of this, Iain McNichol and Emilie Oldknow* in particular. The latter could be quite significant as she was tapped for a big promotion.

More broadly, I think this will blunt the impact of the EHRC report in a few months and stymie the anti-Corbyn efforts in the party for a while. Fair or not, the behaviour revealed in this leak will make it easier for otherwise chastened lefties/Corbynites to dismiss the AS controversy as a stitch up (in extent at least; anyone denying its existence is untouchable even on the far left). Going forward, fewer will be cowed by arguments about Corbyn's electability/competence/leadership, as it's now quite easy to portray him as the victim of a conspiracy.

*Also, it seems Oldknow's spouse is Jonathan Ashworth, whose phone conversation with a Tory friend slagging off Corbyn was leaked in the final days of the campaign. Yeesh!
Pulaski

« Reply #1032 on: April 14, 2020, 06:44:18 AM »

This is untrue & I would be careful about making comments about a report like this.

David Lammy, Rachel Reeves, Jon Ashworth and Ian Murray are all in the shadow cabinet.

Jess Phillips, Pat McFadden, Wes Streeting, Stephen Kinnock, Stephen Doughty and Lucy Powell are all in the outer ministry.

With regard to your warning, I highly doubt the UK Labour Party cares about what a random man in Australia posts on a forum.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1033 on: April 14, 2020, 06:48:16 AM »

Lucy Powell isn't really like some of the others you have named.
Pulaski

« Reply #1034 on: April 14, 2020, 06:53:12 AM »

Lucy Powell isn't really like some of the others you have named.

She was attending rallies aimed at undermining and removing Corbyn as early as 2018.

(In fact, add Kate Green to the list - I hadn't seen that she'd made the shadow ministry too)
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #1035 on: April 14, 2020, 06:54:48 AM »

For the record, 9 days is how long it took for my foolish belief that the Labour Party might be ready to change to be shattered.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1036 on: April 14, 2020, 07:06:47 AM »

It is ready to change, just not in the way that you wanted.

Genuine question, though - do you find the sort of behaviour outlined in this report defensible?

At all??
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1037 on: April 14, 2020, 07:35:21 AM »

More broadly, I think this will blunt the impact of the EHRC report in a few months

Once again you are deluding yourself.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1038 on: April 14, 2020, 07:41:40 AM »

1. Background and circumstances of the report being commissioned

This is unlikely to be particularly edifying, by the way. Certain things have already been observed as a result of some seriously sloppy errors. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1039 on: April 14, 2020, 07:44:08 AM »

David Lammy, Rachel Reeves, Jon Ashworth and Ian Murray are all in the shadow cabinet.

Jess Phillips, Pat McFadden, Wes Streeting, Stephen Kinnock, Stephen Doughty and Lucy Powell are all in the outer ministry.

With regard to your warning, I highly doubt the UK Labour Party cares about what a random man in Australia posts on a forum.

Thank you for telling me members of the Shadow Cabinet.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #1040 on: April 14, 2020, 07:45:39 AM »

It is ready to change, just not in the way that you wanted.

I wanted an effective and electable opposition.

Genuine question, though - do you find the sort of behaviour outlined in this report defensible?

At all??

Of course not, although I certainly dispute much of the Corbynite interpretation of it. I'm simply commenting that its leaking and the reaction to said leaking is perfectly indicative of why the party is never going to change and will be perpetually in opposition no matter who is leader. The shadow of Corbyn will be over your party for a long, long time.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1041 on: April 14, 2020, 07:50:25 AM »

Both the thread and the article it comments on are worth reading.

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1042 on: April 14, 2020, 07:51:31 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2020, 07:55:49 AM by Zinneke »

I read through half of it and while the rest read out of a Thick of It script, what disgusted me the most (although obviously unsurprising) was the naked nepotism..."I heard you daughter was in need of experience"....this culture has to be stopped across the board, and not just in Westminster, in other European capitals too.

Also the Momentum guys are out doing these, which are quite amusing.

cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1043 on: April 14, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2020, 09:09:41 AM by cp »

More broadly, I think this will blunt the impact of the EHRC report in a few months

Have I been delusional before?

In any case, I didn't mean to imply the report will be anything other than damning or that it will not induce the typical reactions from the usual suspects. I just think the accounts from the leak will complicate the discussion the party has about antisemitism going forward once the report is released.

I may have some of the nuance wrong on this, but I think Bush and Wagner's assertion doesn't quite hold up. As I've understood it, some of the texts in the leaked document showed funds duringt he 2017 campaign being surreptitiously directed into a semi-clandestine generic sounding fund for the purpose of shoring up the reelection of select anti-Corbyn Labour MPs who were thought to be useful allies. 
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #1044 on: April 14, 2020, 08:31:52 AM »

Have I been delusional before?

In any case, I didn't mean to imply the report will be anything other than damning or that it will not induce the typical reactions from the usual suspects. I just think the accounts from the leak will complicate the discussion the party has about antisemitism going forward once the report is released.

I may have some of the nuance wrong on this, but I think Bush and Wagner's assertion doesn't quite hold up. As I've understood it, some of the texts in the leaked document showed funds duringt he 2017 campaign being surreptitiously directed into a semi-clandestine generic sounding fund for the purpose of shoring up the reelection of select anti-Corbyn Labour MPs who were thought to be useful allies.

It's not clear whether incorrect election spending reports were submitted (which would be a very serious breach of the law) or whether the correct paperwork was submitted to the leadership and Electoral Commission, but that the description the leadership received of the contents wasn't quite what the contents actually said (which would be grossly unprofessional, but would also reflect poorly on the leadership for not realising they were being taken for fools.)

But in addition, it's not as simple as money being spent on entirely safe seats. There was widespread and justified suspicion of some of the polling numbers in the campaign and there was a belief that they were giving false hope to Labour. In fact it turned out to be wrong in the other direction, but some of the seats being mentioned would likely have been under threat if the polls had turned out to be wrong in Labour's favour.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1045 on: April 14, 2020, 08:55:45 AM »

If it was the former the assumption is that issue would have already been submitted to the police.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1046 on: April 14, 2020, 08:59:25 AM »

And some of us have trouble seeing Adam Wagner as a wholly reliable source tbh.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1047 on: April 14, 2020, 09:20:30 AM »

Yeah, I struggle with him. He seems very bright and capable in his field (human rights law) but when it comes to discussing Corbyn he seems to take leave of his senses. A lot of academic twitter is like that (Glen O'Hara, ugh).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1048 on: April 14, 2020, 09:35:36 AM »

the vibe I got from the leaks is grown up student politicians, which is to be expected. Not that I imagine the contents of other parties' groupchats would be particularly edifying material, but is it too much to want an apolitical party bureaucracy that isn't staffed by the spouses of MP's (freaking Phil Woolas's wife was in there, blast from the past) and union heavies rotating their guys out in turn?

Pulaski

« Reply #1049 on: April 14, 2020, 11:21:23 AM »

Thank you for telling me members of the Shadow Cabinet.

No problem. I doubt I’ll be on here in 5 years when the next Labour Shadow Cabinet is sworn in, so you may have to look elsewhere for your information at that stage.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies