By 2028, will the 13 original states going to be Safe Ds? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:47:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  By 2028, will the 13 original states going to be Safe Ds? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: By 2028, will the 13 original states going to be Safe Ds?  (Read 1813 times)
DaWN
United Kingdom

« on: June 12, 2020, 07:40:07 AM »

And hot take but Vermont will trend hard right by double digits by 2032 if not 2028..  And yes, I know it's not part of the original 13 but I didn't want to exclude it without every other state on the east coast.

No idea where this idea of Vermont being a "borrowed-time state" comes from. It's as safe D as a state can be. Unlike Trump's WWC coalition, Vermont is not "ancestrally Democratic." Not only did it just flip D at the federal level recently (1992), it's truly progressive. For example, it has the highest support for abortion of any state (70% according to Pew). Don't expect a flip anytime soon.

Maine was safely democratic in 2008 and arguably 2012, and it has near-identical demographics.  Vermont is also a very rural, fairly poor state with a small population-it lacks the wealthier suburban areas in the south of New Hampshire.  There is much less resistance to trends in a state like Vermont than a bigger, more dense and more diverse state like Massachusetts or Connecticut.  It also has a GOP governor.

I'm not saying it will flip in 2028, but I can see it going from D+35 to D+10-15 in around a decade.

I may be wrong and someone can correct me if I am, but I'm pretty sure young people in Vermont are even more Democratic than older people. It just has a unique political culture that demographics can't really explain.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies