The last movie you've seen thread 2020 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:04:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2020 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2020  (Read 1256 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: January 13, 2020, 10:01:18 PM »

Going in to see Underwater shortly, even though Just Mercy was probably the smarter choice. I'm expecting zero character development and non-Oscar level everything, but I like sci-fi horror when it's well made and this one is intriguing me. I've heard mixed reviews but a consensus on "paper thin characters with no character development".

I'm also 2/3 of the way through The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest on Netflix and will probably finish that tonight. It's good but not great so far.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 01:22:43 AM »

Once Upon a Time in Holywood: Whoa. It's hard to be on the level of Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained, but this one did it. So much more enjoyable than Tarantino's last movie. Really didn't understand the point of the movie and how the story tied in with the Sharon Tate
Tarantino wanted to make a movie about the relationship abd dynamics between and actor and stuntman that had a closecrelationship and had worked together for years after he saw one such relationship on the set while making one of Deathproof, Django or Inglourious.

He also wanted to make a film about late 60s Hollywood when everything was changing. Less cowboys, more hippies, in real life and on television as well. Lots of famous actors couldn't transition or struggled transitioning. It's a love letter to this time period and to this age in between two eras. Manson Family happened to be in that area at that time, and he wanted to add that stuff in so he just did.

The film is also about Rick and Cliff really representing the old guard and trying to adapt. Rick plays a cowboy on TV, Cliff basically IS a cowboy if you think about it, and at one point he's out doing wild west small desert town cowboy stuff while Rick is acting that character out on camera at the exact same time.

Don't want to get into spoilers on a public forum like this, but that's the general idea.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 02:59:29 AM »

I just watched Short Term 12 from 2013 for the first time, starring Brie Lsrson, Kaitlyn Dever, Lakeith Stanfield and Rami Malek. Holy s__t was this a good movie. Why the hell haven't I heard people talking about this one before? I checked Letterboxd and IMDB after and it yeah it does have really high ratings, yet I never see it namedropped or recommended to others online. DEFINITELY check this movie out, it's a VERY well acted drama about a foster "home" (institution) of sorts, focusing on the young adults who work there and the teenagers that live there. It's both heartfelt and heart-breaking.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 08:37:31 PM »

The Empire Strikes Back.

I found it boring
Heretic!
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 04:57:56 AM »

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 10:31:53 PM »

.....like many of the oddities A24 produces that tend to attract me. But Aster and his films are undeniably unique, I can't deprive him of that.

Great review. His first two films were cinematic masterpieces.

Certainly a totally different approach to film making.

Cant wait to see what you think of "The Lighthouse".

'The Witch' is one of my favorite horror movies ever, and personally the scariest movie I have ever seen. It gave me nightmares! As such I am very excited to see 'The Lighthouse,' even as I hear that it's more of a surrealist thriller rather than an outright horror film. But so far Robert Eggers can do no wrong for me.
The Lighthouse was pretty damn awesome. Picking up the Bluray on Tuesday (and Parasite).
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 01:03:24 AM »

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1

Hunger Games movies are what they are, but I thought Catching Fire was actually very good and easily the best one (book and movie).
This is my first time watching them.. So far:

- The Hunger Games = B
- Catching Fire = B
- Mockingjay Part 1 = C+
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies