The last movie you've seen thread 2020 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:57:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2020 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2020  (Read 1257 times)
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 13, 2020, 10:03:56 PM »

Serial Rabbit 5
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 09:21:00 PM »

Oh boy, I just watched 'The Intruder' on cable. It's about a black couple who buy a house from Dennis Quaid's character who is still obsessed with it and keeps finding ways to insert himself into their lives. It came out last year, and my mom and her boyfriend said I should watch it. I heard it was enjoyably bad, even though they unironically enjoyed it. So I checked it out.

It's not the worst movie ever, nor is it that good of a bad movie, but Dennis Quaid absolutely makes this film! He is so over-the-top and lacking in subtlety. He acts as bonkers as his brother, Randy, does in real-life! Additionally the way the characters react to his craziness throughout the film, one in particular, is especially amusing. The wife character never seems to pick up on any of the hints that he may be dangerous and keeps making excuses for him. Beyond that, it's your run-of-the-mill trashy, psychological thriller with extremely predictable "twists and turns," subplots that go nowhere, and one of the worst and most abrupt endings I have ever seen in a film. I do kind of recommenced renting it or catching it on cable actually, but only if you tend to ironically enjoy sub-par movies.

There are also some subtle political messages in the film that many reviewers on IMDB obsessed over. IMDB is an underrated toxic part of the internet by the way; that I, for some reason, can't resist visiting and reading reviews on for some reason. And in reading a review for it, I feel that I needed to address the political subtext that some picked up on for the sake of my own catharsis.

The movie portrays Dennis Quaid's character as a guy who loves to hunt deer and is always carrying his rifle, but the main character had a brother who died of gun violence and so always insists that Quaid's character not bring his gun onto their property. Then at the end of the movie SPOILERS (if you really care) Quaid's character finally tries to kill the two main characters with his rifle and take his house back, but they manage to get the better of him and cripple him with a bat. Following that the main character, who previously hated guns, kills Quaid with his own rifle. That's where the movie abruptly stops and cuts to credits by the way-I can't call it an ending, since it doesn't actually "end."

So, people have been interpreting the film as having a left wing bias where Quaid is a red hat (not a MAGA hat, but still a red one) wearing older white man who terrorizes and gets killed by a younger black couple. But then when you take how the gun subplot is handled, that doesn't seem like the case. Of course, the main character doesn't even actually use the gun to get the better of Quaid, he uses a bat to disarm and give him a concussion or something, and then basically just kills Quaid for no reason after that, but still makes it seem like he is now embracing firearms. The police were already on their way though, they could have just let him be arrested. If you saw how badly he was injured, he wasn't getting up.

So considering how muddled that aspect of the film was, I don't think that this picture actually did have a coherent message it wanted to sell the audience on. His hat wasn't a MAGA hat, it had a deer on it even though it was red. He never says anything to indicate that he is even a right winger, outside of hunting deer "for sport" maybe, which still isn't exactly mutually exclusive with being a liberal Democrat. And it doesn't seem to really endorse nor oppose guns. This movie isn't smart enough to have a political message! I think, as usual, right wing internet users are reading too much into a movie, that quite frankly doesn't deserve it, and trying to project their persecution complexes onto it and, by extension, "liberal Hollywood" once more.

I really need to just restrict myself to the "trivia" section when I go to IMDB. Like with most of the internet I really need to stop finding ways to make myself bothered by other people when I don't have to.

Pls review movies regularly from now on that review was lit af
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 08:58:46 PM »

I appreciate that you even read it. I really don't intend to always make my posts that long, but sometimes I can't help it. Especially when it comes to movies. The fact that you read, and liked my thoughts on 'The Intruder' means you're like my biggest fan on this forum, I think. Previously I wrote my thoughts on 'The Irishman' and 'Marriage Story' in previous threads, if you want to search for those. Or I guess I could and send them to you in a private message.

I don't want to overwhelm this thread with my posts, but maybe when we get to a new page I'll give my thoughts on 'Midsommar,' since I finally saw it. I have a lot to say about it, and few people to share my thoughts with. That's why I like posting here, whether you read my posts or not, I get to write my thoughts out and have them organized.

If you think that review was long, do not even get me started on Endgame. I probably hated that movie more than anybody on earth and I could easily make 4 or 5 full 22,000 character posts on it breaking down why I hated literally every single solitary little itty bitty detail of that "movie"
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 09:09:11 PM »

I appreciate that you even read it. I really don't intend to always make my posts that long, but sometimes I can't help it. Especially when it comes to movies. The fact that you read, and liked my thoughts on 'The Intruder' means you're like my biggest fan on this forum, I think. Previously I wrote my thoughts on 'The Irishman' and 'Marriage Story' in previous threads, if you want to search for those. Or I guess I could and send them to you in a private message.

I don't want to overwhelm this thread with my posts, but maybe when we get to a new page I'll give my thoughts on 'Midsommar,' since I finally saw it. I have a lot to say about it, and few people to share my thoughts with. That's why I like posting here, whether you read my posts or not, I get to write my thoughts out and have them organized.

If you think that review was long, do not even get me started on Endgame. I probably hated that movie more than anybody on earth and I could easily make 4 or 5 full 22,000 character posts on it breaking down why I hated literally every single solitary little itty bitty detail of that "movie"

Wow! I've heard of people who disliked it, but not to that extent!

Ill be real: it probably not that bad. I just am appalled that so many people overlook the glaring flaws of it because its the finale and had some spectacle, and I think it in no way deserved its 2.8 billion. If it had a more modest box office, and people on the whole were more realistic on their opinions of it, I would probably shrug it off and have been over it after opening weekend, like age of ultron. But people act like its genuinely a flawless masterpiece and made way too much and I can't help but have a boiling hatred as a result
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 04:35:58 PM »

'The Witch' is one of my favorite horror movies ever, and personally the scariest movie I have ever seen. It gave me nightmares! As such I am very excited to see 'The Lighthouse,' even as I hear that it's more of a surrealist thriller rather than an outright horror film. But so far Robert Eggers can do no wrong for me.
One of my best friends saw that movie and f-cking hated it. So I sent him a screenshot of this comment, and now this comment is peak atlas
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies