Democrats: If you lose Florida and Ohio, do you still feel confident of victory? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:37:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Democrats: If you lose Florida and Ohio, do you still feel confident of victory? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats: If you lose Florida and Ohio, do you still feel confident of victory?  (Read 6248 times)
elcorazon

« on: March 25, 2008, 08:50:56 AM »

I think they could lose Florida and still have a comfortable shot at winning, as long as they don't lose PA.  However, if they've lost Ohio, then they've already lost FL and PA, and the game will be pretty much over.

I just can't see them losing such huge states that are usually good indicators of a 50/50 country (IE: Florida, Ohio) and then have western states that went for George Bush NOT go for John McCain.

That's why I think they can lose Florida but still carry PA and OH.  They are all close to the center as far as voter turnout.  I think in this current match-up, Ohio is leaning more Dem, PA is on the balance, and Florida is leaning Rep.  So as long as the Dems carry OH and PA, they can afford to lose FL if they pick up something in the Great Lakes or midwest areas.  However, they can carry OH and still lose the election if the Reps can claim PA.  And of course, if the Reps get OH, it's all over.

That's just my theory as of late. If George Bush can win those states...why can't John McCain win AND THEN SOME?
it's a good theory, but it forgets a acouple of key points:

1.  It's 4 years later.  The economy is in much worse shape.  The war in Iraq is MORE of a negative this year than it was 4 years ago.
2.  McCain won't be running against Kerry.  Obama appeals to those Nevada, Iowa, Colorado, New Mexico, etc. voters that couldn't stomach Kerry.

Missouri and Virginia are also trending to the dems, methinks, although I doubt Obama could carry either, unless he's also carrying Ohio and Pennsylvania.
elcorazon

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 10:43:56 AM »

Please quit saying Virginia. Infact...if you guys quit about Virginia, I'll quit about Minnesota.
I think both Virginia and Minnesota are in play.

Minnesota is a strong lean dem.  Virginia is a strong lean rep.  Either could swing with a fairly small victory by the trailing side.
elcorazon

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:47:10 AM »

I like how this thread begins with a hypothetical, and when obama supporters create scenarios where obama can win despite long odds, they are accused of having a 50% +1 strategy.  They will NOT have a strategy of losing Ohio and Florida or Pennsylvania or Michigan.  Could Obama lose those states? yes.  Could Hillary?  absolutely.  Could McCain?  you bet.  that's why they're important swing states that help decide the election.

I repeat - winning primaries is not necessarily a good indicator of winning the state in november.  hillary winning ohio does NOT mean she is NECESSARILY significantly more likely to win in November there than Obama.  Personally I think either will win Ohio and both will lose Florida, but November's still a long way away.

nice straw man though, anti-obama folks.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies